New Wheel Day!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvdslw

by dvdslw

Just wanted to share my excitement with a new set of wheels I finally picked up today. I got a set of the newly designed Easton ec90sl's. They are 38mm deep, 28mm wide, 19mm inside bead width, 16/20 spoke count, "certified' road tubeless with a sealed rim (no need for tape), and weigh 1,400 grams. Only got to get out for a short ride before dark today and they felt great, no flex under power, braking was way better then I remember the Reynolds Assault/Strikes I test rode recently, and the rear hub sounds like a Cris King hub but only half as loud. I'll report back early next week with a proper review after I ride the Horrible Hundred this weekend which should give me a good idea of how these wheels perform. I have them mounted up tubeless with the 700x25 Fusion 3's from my Ultegra's that I've been riding for the last few months just to have a good baseline for feel and the bike is a 60cm 2013 Caad10 Black Inc.
Last edited by dvdslw on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velomane

by velomane

I look forward to hearing how the perform at the race.

beatle

by beatle

Fusions are great for a long wear tire, but there are better tubeless tires for racing, IMHO.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

what are the best tubeless tires for racing?

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

the best clincher race tyre that happens to also be tubeless is the Specialized S-Works Turbo Road if you believe this article http://velonews.competitor.com/where-th ... tires-fast

however they didn't include the new Schwalbe Pro One and the new Vittoria Corsa Speed so there's that...

mimason

by mimason

They look good. Enjoy.

Did you actually weigh them? I'm going to wager they are heavier than spec'd.

Horrible Hundred? Florida boy! Weather forecasted at 79 high and 15 mph winds which is calm compared to some other times I've ridden it. You'll have to give a report back. Do you plan on riding it fast paced?

dvdslw

by dvdslw

beatle wrote:Fusions are great for a long wear tire, but there are better tubeless tires for racing, IMHO.

I agree completely, I rode a set of the regular Schwalbe One's and although they were the same weight as the Fusions, they were noticeably faster. Only down side was wear. I look forward to trying a set of their new Pro Ones but can't find any 25's in stock right now and really wanted to use the same tire I was rolling just days before to get a good feel for the new wheels.

dvdslw

by dvdslw

mimason wrote:They look good. Enjoy.

Horrible Hundred? Florida boy! Weather forecasted at 79 high and 15 mph winds which is calm compared to some other times I've ridden it. You'll have to give a report back. Do you plan on riding it fast paced?

Thanks, no I didn't weigh them but I'll make a point to do so when I get the new tires. As far as a fast pace goes, we'll just have to see how I feel that day. I've never tackled the course before so its new terrain with a lot more climbing than I'm used to but plan to line up behind my lbs and see if I can hang.

Delorre

by Delorre

They're spec'ed to be 1473 and not 1400!! http://eastoncycling.com/en-us/road/wheels/race/ec90slclincher/ Hopefully for dvdslw, they are within spec, or price/ weight ratio won't be that great :cry:

beatle

by beatle

Jmdesignz2 wrote:what are the best tubeless tires for racing?

IRC Pro light so far

dvdslw

by dvdslw

Delorre wrote:

They're spec'ed to be 1473 and not 1400!! http://eastoncycling.com/en-us/road/wheels/race/ec90slclincher/ Hopefully for dvdslw, they are within spec, or price/ weight ratio won't be that great :cry:

I bought them with the expectation of them weighing the advertised 1,473 grams but upon receiving them and opening the box I then saw the little spec card saying 1,400 grams attached to the spokes (pictured above in post #1) which was a surprise. I'd guess they fall somewhere between the two weights because I spoke with Easton several times about the Aero55's that are the same wheel only deeper and wondered why the listed weights were all over the place? Their response was that they found a way to make the wheels lighter so the listed weights were higher than actual by about 70 grams which corresponds with what I am seeing. I was too excited to ride the new wheels and didn't have a scale handy so I just mounted them up but will weigh them soon when my new tires come in.

As far as "price/weight ratio" goes, I bought them based more on their certified tubeless capability rather than weight. I did settle for the 38's over the 55's because of the weight difference along with the fact that I seem to prefer the feel of a lighter wheel in comparison to a heavier deep profile rim.

jimborello

by jimborello

Good to see someone still using Easton wheels. I dont know why but since the last change they made and the introduction of the aero 55s they are very rare to see, and suposedly the aero 55s are stellar

acetonehk

by acetonehk

mariovalentim wrote:the best clincher race tyre that happens to also be tubeless is the Specialized S-Works Turbo Road if you believe this article http://velonews.competitor.com/where-th ... tires-fast

I won't say Sworks turbo the best, based on the least resistance from lab test :noidea:

CBJ

by CBJ

Jmdesignz2 wrote:what are the best tubeless tires for racing?

S-works Turbo Pro Tubeless maybe

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3HUmj ... ZjTDg/view

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

Nice! How many PSI/Bar do you run these on?
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm