Woot! Extralite Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I know I am in full support of Extralite here, but yeah, like the guy said, 20-30g is nothing.

Amusingly, I did most of the massive rides this year using a borrowed Pro stem and borrowed Cannondale C3 handlebars, which weight about twice as much as my current Extralite / Superleggero set up. I was not slowed down one bit by those hideously low rent parts. They were also silent too, once I put anti-seize on the bars where the stem clamps.

I actually miss that set up, in a way. Was not worried about breaking it, so I could rag on it as hard as I wanted.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I'm also a supporter of extralite -- in addition to the stem I also use their expander, chainrings and I have 2 wheelsets built up around their hubs (possibly a 3rd coming). Before the hyperstem I never had an issue w/ the OC stem, but it's not around. As mentioned, the 20-30 g penalty really is nothing when you consider I dropped 10-11 pounds of body weight (and I wasn't that heavy to begin with).
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Speedypalmer

by Speedypalmer

I'm looking to purchase a stem for my current build, but would like a 17 degree angle for fit/look! Also given the problems people on here are having with these supper light stems, I'm looking for light alternatives! I hate the AX Lightness floppy willy look of their 17degree stem! Any alternatives recommendations!?

Currently I'm finding hard to better either the stealthy ZIPP Service Course SL, or Ritchey WCS C220, both of which come in 17 degree option and are about 120g for 100m length. Not that light, but both quite cheap at about £60 ...

Cheers

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Mcfk?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

Wingnut wrote:I was considering one of these for my Merlin Extralight...not too worried as it has a 1" steerer, I use a stem shim that protects the fork anyway...

where do you get that stem shim at? and do you put carbon paste between the shim and carbon steerer and again where the shim and hyperstem contacts?

i've been using the hyperstem for a couple months now, so far no bite marks, but occasionally was a bit loose. i've cranked the top cap down at 6nm first and then tighten the hyperstem to 3nm as specified.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I have a few shims that came with some older Deda Newton stems, no paste required as they fit quite snug...

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

@ speedypalmer:

Fairwheel Kalloy Uno Stem-- http://fairwheelbikes.com/fair-wheel-ka ... alth-stem/
Speedplay is the devil!

Speedypalmer

by Speedypalmer

Blimey the Fairwheel option looks to good to be true! Is it really 107g for 100mm 17 degree? Any known problems with carbon steerer or bars?

The Mcfk option is very nice, and would looks cool, but not sure I'm after spending that much cash (£300) on a stem, when its only 40g lighter than a solid £60 main stream option ... or 25g lighter than this £30 Fairwheel curve ball!!!!

Thanks

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Speedyp
Bought an UNO stem in Nov for a winter build, 110mm x -17º 112g £13.20 incP&P from eBay, Taiwan to UK less than a week.
wife has been using one for 3+ years 90mm @ 98g
More here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116669

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Yep, Uno stems are the real deal, nothing comes close for weight/price, changing out the bolts to Black Ti for anther £10 takes it down to 101g for a 100mm stem.

addictR1

by addictR1

i wonder if the guys at fair wheel bike would add Uno stem into their stem testing line-ups. it'll be interesting to see how well it performs compared to extralite, ax, lightweight boutique brands, ect.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I don't think they would sell many of their more expensive offerings if they did so, but would be good to see the results.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

MCFK makes -17 stems up to 110mm. Their 120mm only goes as low as -6.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I just reinstalled my fork that was repaired by extralite. I got it back in Feb, but there was no rush. The fork looks great, you'd never know it had been "eaten" by the stem. They also replaced my hyperstem - they sent the wrong size, 110 instead of 100, but I had already decided to keep my kalloy uno so I sold it (and it went quick). I'll continue to use extralite's hubs, chainrings, expander and top cap, but I'm much more comfortable with the kalloy stem. Maybe at some point if I have the extra money laying around I'll go for an mcfk stem.
Speedplay is the devil!

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Had both my Hyperstem in 110mm replaced as well, nothing but great customer service by Extralite :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com