Woot! Extralite Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Just received my 3T stem, yes I know it is about 25gs heavier than the HS but it clamps the full steerer and the clamping area is much larger for the h/bars. I'll get something back for it via here or ebay. :?

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

beanbiken

by beanbiken

wheelsONfire wrote:It's not the steerer tube that is a problem. The rest you can figure without me saying.

Agree with the above I just don't feel that the clamping area is large enough and don't wish to have to replace my F8 forks. :(
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danbjpa

by danbjpa

That's really scary! i'm planning change my Hyperstem too.
The new HS version (without sharp edge) shown in the @PSM drawing are safe?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I was considering one of these for my Merlin Extralight...not too worried as it has a 1" steerer, I use a stem shim that protects the fork anyway...

PSM

by PSM

Imagine Extralite taking part in this discussion... :hello:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Not if they are smart.. It's always a shit fight up in here these days.... :roll:

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Well all it takes is a simple search on the web to find any issues with their stems and it will lead them here...

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@mdeth1313,
Question, do you have a carbon expander installed inside your steerer tube?
if yes, how far is the expander from the end of the steerer tube?

Here's a picture of my steerer clamp. Stem was tightened using Effetto Mariposa torque wrench, in gradual increments from 2, 2.5 then 3Nm.
Additionally, I did removed the stem last week for confirmation and found that there are minimal marks on my steerer..
IMHO I think the position of the expander may somehow influence the end result..
Feel free to share your thoughts.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

@maverick-- funny you mention this- I do have an expander, it's an extralite ultrastar. Only thing is after I set everything up and tightened the stem, I loosen the expander. I'd pull it out altogether, but it's holding the top cap on!

What would be nice now is a response from extralite. Nothing since I sent the pics on Sunday evening. Up until that point they were very responsive.
Speedplay is the devil!

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Thanks for sharing.
Do let us know how it goes.

It's working fine for me (although not exactly perfect as per the OC stem), need to be extra cautious when installing the Hyperstem until a proper countermeasure is available.

Cheers

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

You'll hear from them they are very good with communication but some times they will take a few days to reply. I buy hubs and parts from them a fare bit and they are a great company to deal with

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

There should be no bite marks at all. This may be the start of things getting worse. Imagine all who never see this until the steerer cracks.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Heard back from Extralite today- they asked me to send the stem and fork to them. They said they can repair the fork and switch the stem. It's cheaper than buying a new fork so I'll give it a shot. In the meantime I have another fork to use so I can take advantage of the mild weather we've been having.

My Kalloy uno stem showed up-- weighs 107g in 100 mm. I'll have to buy some ti bolts for it, but looking at the design I shouldn't have to worry about bike marks anymore-- oh, also for the 1st time when I removed my schmoke TLO bars they had small indents where they were clamped. Never had that before the hyperstem either. Fortunately, it's cosmetic and not to the level of my steerer tube.
Speedplay is the devil!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yes that is a good idea. I would send both fork and stem to.

Be safe!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I switched forks and stems the other day (thanks to Madcow for getting a replacement shipped quickly). I'm using the Kalloy Uno 100 mm while the damaged fork and stem go back to extralite. The Uno stem came in at 107.5 g with steel bolts. I got out for a 75 mile ride today (Dec 13th in the mid-Hudson Valley, NY and it was 59 F ( 15 C ) and the first thing I noticed was no more creaking when out of the saddle and putting any pressure on the bars. I'm thinking I should get some ti bolts for this stem and possibly leave it. The 20-30 g penalty is nothing when compared to my recent weight loss!

It was nice to not worry about what was happening w/ the fork every time I hit a bump.
Speedplay is the devil!