Woot! Extralite Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

maverick_1 wrote:Had both my Hyperstem in 110mm replaced as well, nothing but great customer service by Extralite :)

Have to agree with you there. They might be a little slow (but not too bad) in responding, but they do take care of their customers.
Speedplay is the devil!

danbjpa

by danbjpa

+1 on the Extralite customer service
They did exchange my Hyperstem too. Excellence in customer service. Alessandro responding me fast and send me a new stem in the next day. Maybe only inconvenience can be the italian postal service, 2 month to my parcel come to them (i'm accustomed to wait due to my country be equal, so no problem at all).

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

I've had the hyperstem for 3 months now, recently went over some potholes while descending. Maybe time to take it off to see if any bite mark.

danbjpa

by danbjpa

my marks seemed cosmetic but they offered changing anyway.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

@danbjpa - yeah, that's nothing. when I sent them pics of mine their response was, "Wow, that's impressive, we've never seen one like that!"
Speedplay is the devil!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

mdeth1313 wrote:@danbjpa - yeah, that's nothing. when I sent them pics of mine their response was, "Wow, that's impressive, we've never seen one like that!"

+1 on that. That is nothing!

Mdeth, do you have a picture on yours?

I also damaged 2 forks. I did not get a replacement stem which i thought. But they filed mine and painted it with a marker pen.

I would go for a Wert instead. I spoke to Rico and as seen, his stem has been tested by Schmolke and approved for their bars.

Rico has known about my stem and i am confident that he has a design that will not be a problem.

But i must say, Extralite seems to have stepped up for you guys and that makes me happy i started this.

The dealer i talked to who sold my stem and also another dealer which tried to sell me a new one, they did not step up at all.

They actually did nothing! I had to sort out all problems with the two forks myself.

I had to pay repair for one fork and one fork Extralite gave to the builder. The builder on the other hand told me i should be happy i did not need to pay for

the repair. But i had no forks for several months, so i was forced to buy a new 3T Team to be able to ride in the summer.

I could ask myself why dealers prove to be so weak. They obviously put the people who supply them with parts over the paying consumer.

I must say, when something happens, you guys should always contact the manufacturer and be honest and be specific.

You don't know what the dealer actually do or what he says. That is also a part why you should contact both dealer and manufacturer.

If you don't get response over email, call them and call again and again if needed.

That is the best way to resort any issue.

Don't just stop at the dealers.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

addictR1

by addictR1

ok.. just took mine apart from my addict fork. it's only been tighten down to 3nm as specified by Extralite.
after 285miles later.. this is the first time i took it apart to see.

i'm putting the Uno Kalloy back on...

so is my fork fubar with that linear line showing as crack? going to be taping it with a coin and see..

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

@wheelsONfire: go back to page 5 of this topic and it's the 4th or 5th post down- my pics are posted there.
Speedplay is the devil!

velomane

by velomane

addictR1, when did you buy your stem?

addictR1

by addictR1

Correction: I got mine on Nov 24, 2015.
My work is too crazy so I rarely get to ride.
Surprised to see that after only less than 300 miles.

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

So I was actually going to buy an Extralite today from my local shop and this thread popped up. Guess what I didn't buy today? Kinda bummed as it's such a light stem.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

If it's the new model it might be worth getting. I've just emailed starbike to see what could be done about the exchange. Being here in US shipping it back to Germany might not be worth it.

If not the I'll just rework the edges like the CAD drawing shows and hopefully no more bite marks.

roropopo

by roropopo

Whaooo~~! Congratulation.
To me, Extra stem is too luxury. Now I'm satisfied with 3t alu stem....
However someday I hope to buy it.
I wish your new stem will enhance beautifully your bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would not use my stem anymore even if it was filed on (reworked by Extralite).
That was how my stem came back.

I mean, if i would use it and it comes to a point when another fork crack, who pays that?

I had a guy looking to buy it from me rather cheap. But i could not sell it to him without telling.
I did not even want to sell it. Because i am sure he would come back and then i would be the bad guy.
Even my 3T Ergonova Team handlebar got bad marks from this stem. So, it was two forks and one handlebar.
I got one fork repaired without paying. One fork i paid repair for and my handlebar is lost money.
All in all, an expensive experience. My two forks cost new, over 1500 Euro. Handlebar i don't remember, but about 250 Euro i think it was when i bought it.
Stem was under 200 Euro. So... i would not dare to use it or to sell it.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Any pics of the reworked stem? I would like to see how it was filed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com