Woot! Extralite Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

I got mine from starbike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lannes

by lannes

velomane wrote:If I understand you guys, the one I'm expecting (from Starbike, who are still waiting on Extralite) should have the cutouts. Is this correct?

Yes, to avoid the possibility of the steerer tube crimping problem, it should be as the 3d diagram suggests. I'd make sure starbike knows this, if it hasn't already been shipped.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

It should be noted that while the 3D drawing very clear to show these angled edges, on the stem itself, due to the black colour, this is very subtle, especially on the side with the thinner section that seats the head of the Torx bolt.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Oh yeah, and since installing mine, I have had no problems at all. I have climbed very hard and fast on this, sprinted full on, bunny hopped stuff, and also took a big hit on the front end from a rock hidden in some grass I was riding over. It held fine throughout all of this, and is not clicking, moving, or anything at all.

All good.

With the way they handled the issue I was having with the rear hub (which turned out not to be the rear hub at all), and this stem, and the way they entertain my stupid questions via email, etc. I am growing to really love the products and the guys themselves. Really good stuff and very good service.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

After reading this I took a look at my hyperstem/fork and well, not good. I just sent pictures to extralite and I'm waiting to hear back. I have another fork from an old frame I can use for now along w/ an old (heavy) stem until this gets sorted out. Stem has been on there since May. Before this stem I used the OC stems and never had an issue. This is a bummer.

Speedplay is the devil!

velomane

by velomane

Wow, it's a good thing you had a look. Let us know what their response is. Also, I appreciate the pics. I was having difficulty visualizing what the "bite marks" were.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

mdeth1313;

Looking at the first picture, you have the left and right side of clamping sections touching!

When torquing to 3nm, on my steerer tube, there is a gap of about 1.2mm. I would imagine that you didn't use a torque wrench here, and just tightened it down until the two sides met.

3nm feels like nothing, especially if you are using a wrench with a long handle.

Bummer about your steerer tube, for sure, don't get me wrong.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

If I was to design a stem, and was considering ways to reduce weight, like completely removing material in between the top and bottom clamping area/fastening points, I'd wonder what effect the reduction of the effective clamping area would be on the fork.

Also, the 2 clamping straps, and their reduced cross-sections will allow them to deform more readily, thereby embedding into the fork.

Putting small radii in place of the sharp edges may not completely solve the problem.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

TheDarkInstall wrote:mdeth1313;

Looking at the first picture, you have the left and right side of clamping sections touching!

When torquing to 3nm, on my steerer tube, there is a gap of about 1.2mm. I would imagine that you didn't use a torque wrench here, and just tightened it down until the two sides met.

3nm feels like nothing, especially if you are using a wrench with a long handle.

Bummer about your steerer tube, for sure, don't get me wrong.

Effetto Mariposa torque wrench set to 3nm. Same as when I had the OC stem, just different result.
Speedplay is the devil!

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Right, well if you torqued it within the limits, this is pretty lame.

I definitely don't want to come across as an Extralite fan boy, but as someone who has had carbon bars do the same thing as your steerer. I was well within the nm limit, and the fault ended up being the carbon bars, not the thing clamping it.

So, it could be that your steerer is the problem, rather than the thing clamping it, if you are doing it to 3nm. Anecdotal, but I have seen a few Neil Prydes suffer carbon damage, like this.

This doesn't help you fix your bike, I know, and you must be really annoyed about it all, but just saying.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

@TheDarkInstall--

You make valid points, this is my 2nd NP frame, the first one was warrantied, so I get that (but the warranty was the frame, not the fork). But, I had the extralite OC stem on this bike (and the previous one) for a lot longer than the hyperstem and there was none of this. The only reason I switched was I went from a 90 to 100 mm stem- in between I was using a cheap bontrager stem and that didn't cause an issue either.

I'm also a big extralite fan, I have 2 wheelsets built up around their hubs (that I use almost exclusively), I use their chainrings and I have another set of those waiting for the current ones to wear out and I use their ultrastar as well.
Speedplay is the devil!

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Well after seeing mdeth1313's images I removed my stem for another look. No nicks/bite marks but there is a pair of depressions in the steerer. Torqued with a Norbar wrench to 2.7NM's from memory. Anyway the Extralite is off and have ordered a 3T LTD stem to match my bars.

Steve.
PS. can take images while I wait for the new stem but really not much to see
BB

Coffee & carbon

PSM

by PSM

If you have a aluminum steerer, this won't be a problem. I think.

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

An aluminum steerer on weight wennies, blasphemy!!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's not the steerer tube that is a problem. The rest you can figure without me saying.

I had two forks damaged same way with a calibrated torque wrench set at 2.7-2.9Nm.

I also have had my torque wrench checked at work and it's fine.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.