Aero Drop Bars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I’m looking to get a set of aero drop bars for an upcoming build after discounting my original plan of an integrated bar/stem set up. I’m a big guy so need them to be nice and stiff. I’d also like the graphics to be as understated as possible, and there to be space for an out front Garmin mount. I’ve looked at the following:

Enve SES Aero
Zipp SL-70 Aero
Bontrager XXX Aero
Easton EC90 Aero - Added after suggestion

I’ve already discounted the 3T Aeronova/tundo as I hate the look of them, and the S-Works Aerofly because I’ll never buy a Specialized product.

Has anybody used any of the above, or are there any I’ve missed? I'd love to see any aero data comparing them but I think that's a bit optimistic!

Cheers,

Campbell.
Last edited by campbellrae on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Sorry to bug you, but have you checked the new Easton EC90 Aero coming out just now?

http://eastoncycling.com/en-us/road/com ... -aero-mcd/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

They look very interesting, thanks for the heads up! I'll add them to the list of possibilities.

Squint

by Squint

I'm looking for a Cervelo myself as it's supposed to be the most aero. I'll probably need to 3D print my own Garmin and GoPro mount(s) though.

arthurf

by arthurf

I've used the Zipp SL70 aero and they were stiff enough for my weight (65kg). Not as stiff as a traditional round bar but I never found them wanting. There is room to fit an out front mount even when paired with the super wide SL sprint stem.

survivor

by survivor

I am very happy with my Enve SES Aero bar.

kode54

by kode54

survivor wrote:I am very happy with my Enve SES Aero bar.

+1. way better than the 3T aeronova.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Pottsy

by Pottsy

+1 Enve. I like my narrow ones.

jimborello

by jimborello

+1 Enve if yu have the cash

spud

by spud

Maybe you've already done this, but give close consideration to exactly how you hold your bars, and how you would like to hold them, and what your goals are. To whit - the Aeronova is unconventional looking, but good for me. In addition to the standard hand positions of tops, hoods and drops, it also has a hollow section just aft of the hoods where you can place your palms for relaxed cruising, or place your wrist/forearm when in low drag/TT mode.

Not an unabashed fan boy as they have one or two drawbacks, but for what I want them from them (going fast), they are excellent.

Devon

by Devon

I'm a big fan of Bontrager XXX stuff. Not used their bars though.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

The Enve Aero bar is the best bar I have had.

53x12

by 53x12

Had the Enve but just didn't like that. Went with the Zipp SL-70 aero and love it. Best bar I have ever owned.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

53x12

by 53x12

campbellrae wrote:I’m looking to get a set of aero drop bars for an upcoming build after discounting my original plan of an integrated bar/stem set up. I’m a big guy so need them to be nice and stiff. I’d also like the graphics to be as understated as possible, and there to be space for an out front Garmin mount. I’ve looked at the following:

Enve SES Aero
Zipp SL-70 Aero
Bontrager XXX Aero
Easton EC90 Aero - Added after suggestion

I’ve already discounted the 3T Aeronova/tundo as I hate the look of them, and the S-Works Aerofly because I’ll never buy a Specialized product.

Has anybody used any of the above, or are there any I’ve missed? I'd love to see any aero data comparing them but I think that's a bit optimistic!

Cheers,

Campbell.

A couple of other threads that discuss a few of those aero bars in varying degrees:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128672&hilit=Zipp+aero

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=136233&hilit=Zipp+aero
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

F45

by F45

I agree that the Aeronova looks goofy but is really useful in the hoods with flat forearms, the most aero position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com