Carbon tubulars dilemma

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Carbon tubulats best option

1. DT SWISS RC 38 Spline
3%
2. Zipp 202 firecrest
5%
3. Zipp 303 firecrest
35%
4. Vision metron 40
5%
5. Fulcrum racing speed 35
41%
6. Fulcrum racing speed xlr
11%

Total votes: 37

dzcpiotr

by dzcpiotr

Hi guys,
I want to upgrade my bmc teammachine slr 02 and I'm looking for a new carbon wheelset. I want a fairly light, stiff and dynamic wheels. I'm rather slim (182 cm and 66 kilos). I do some racing and a lot of climbing. My budget is is up to 1500 euros, but i want to find value for money option. I've done some research and i found these wheels:
1. DT SWISS RC 38 Spline pros: price, hubs, service, swiss brand
2. Zipp 202 fircrest pros:quality, look, brand, weight
3. Zipp 303 firecrest pros: as above cons: rim height
4. Vision metron 40 pros: price, reviews
5. Fulcrum racing speed 35
6. Fulcrum racing speed xlr pros: bearings cons: price
What are your thoughts? Any other ideas? Looking forward for your help:)

sawyer

by sawyer

depends a lot on the relative prices ... Vision Metron can be very good value, and have been raced at the highest level with some success ...

If price is not an issue I'd probably go for the 303s or the Racing Speed 35s ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duvivr6

by duvivr6

I'm not a wheel expert, but I happen to have way to many wheels.....

Have not had good luck with Zipp hubs, so I would personally buy them. I do have a Powertap built into a 303 rim that has been trouble free.

Now I really like the Campagnolo wheels to include Fulcrum so easy pick for me.

Last I also have a set of China tubulars with the wide rim profile new tehcnology super fast bla bla bla... these are very nice for the $400 I payed.

dzcpiotr

by dzcpiotr

Thanks for your input. The problem with visions is that their weight varies on different websites, on the manufacturer's site they are about 130 grams heavier than on other pages. Zipps 303 are too migh for me guess, I'm afraid of side wind. Fulcrums are a bit pricey... Would like to keep the price as low as possible :D What are your thoughts on dt wheels?

lannes

by lannes

You might want to also consider the Reynolds Aero 46 2015 tubular, similar hub design to DT swiss rc spline 38, but lighter with a deeper fat rim profile, which I have found to very stable. Very close to the zipp 303 firecrest but with internal nipples

nickf

by nickf

Check out the bontrager aeolus 3 or 5s. My 5 tubs came in around 1260g. Dt240 hubs, aerolite spokes, 27mm wide. They are a fantastic riding set if wheels.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Not wanting to throw a wrench into the mix, and those Fulcrums are the best on the list, but have you considered a set of custom wheels?
You could, for example, get a set of Corima rims, laced to a set of nice hubs with proper spokes built from a competent wheel builder for the same budget or less.

(My set with Corimas (23mm wide/47 mm deep), Alchemy hubs and DT Swiss Aerolites was only a few beans more than your target figure.
I also got to choose the spoke count that worked best for me. What was achieved was far stiffer than anything on the list you provided. The set weighs 1242 grams, as I recall.)

Just sayin'...

dzcpiotr

by dzcpiotr

Thanks for all your replies. Reynolds are bit pricey, but look very interesting. Need to look at those bontrager hoops.
I dont want custom built wheels, prefer to buy factory wheels. Which fulcrum do you think are the best?
There is quite a big difference between those wheels? For example dts are aroun 1000€ (special offer)zipps and reynolds at least 500 more. Do you that the differences between those wheels are as big? Is it worthy to pay more than 50%more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

nickf wrote:Check out the bontrager aeolus 3 or 5s. My 5 tubs came in around 1260g. Dt240 hubs, aerolite spokes, 27mm wide. They are a fantastic riding set if wheels.

how would you rate their braking quality

nickf

by nickf

In the dry with the cork pads they are really good. I feel they have plenty of bite and modulation. Long descents they do good to. Never feel like i don't have enough brake. In the wet no so great but that's most carbon wheels. Tried the black prince pads and they made things bad in the wet and dry. Have mine set up with ee calipers. When i first got them my old calipers didn't open wide enough so might want to consider that.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

thanks

I like the fact they have DT internals with bontrager specifications on hub flanges, and the rims look great

a bit pricey for my liking but hey, not a lot of wheels under 1 500 nowadays

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

I'd throw Xentix XBL, Alto Velo, and Curve into the mix. Austrians, Americans and Aussies, respectively!!
Three smaller brands but they compete well with the bigger guys.
I'm also a Reynolds and Zipp dealer, but tend to prefer the more boutique brands, for what it's worth...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Easton Aero 55 tubular and Veloflex carbon tires!

This combo has really grown on me.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

russianbear

by russianbear

Why no Bora One on the list?

I love my Aeolus 5s. Wheelset came in at 1245g. I'm especially impressed how they handle side winds. It has been really windy this week and the front has never felt out of hand. I'm 85kg though.

dzcpiotr

by dzcpiotr

Thanks for your input. No boras on the list because I run shimano and dont want to mix things up. That's why I included fulcrums. What is so good about boras/ racing speeds? I have some reservations about their slightly simple/ordinary bearings. They have worse bearings than fulcrum racing zero.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com