A super mechanical groupset, who would buy it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timujin

by Timujin

My 2c worth...re-inventing the wheel... Campy SR 2015 (not just because I have it) is pretty classy, light weight and mechanically perfect.

unless the price would be 1/3rd of Campy SR anyway spending that kind of money, would always go with generations old reputation....

I admire those who make the effort but...brakes/cranks could be the only place I would look to for another company such as THM fibula

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

I think the new Rotor Uno groupset may become just that. Maybe not purely mechanical but at least non-electronic. Kind of the Mavic SSC of 2016.

The pinnacle of pure mechanical may have been reached some time ago with Dura Ace 7800.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

xena wrote:
jamesbass wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:Oozing luxury in detail, butter smooth shifting, easy precise tuning, clockwork shift precision, high end craftmanship and materials?

I think this description runs counter to a weight-optimized setup. Most of the super-tuned stuff in the "show me your tuning" thread looks ugly but is on the cutting edge of lightness. How could you have both without spending countless hours like these guys did: [LINK]

However, If you look at some of the lightweight skewers, seatpost clamps and brake calipers, I agree that the "stick-insect" nature of them could be copied/incorporated into a groupset a little more.

The link you have,its one of fast dads mechs. He's just joined this site

I've been trying to follow FastDad's posts for a little while (through Google translate...) Amazing craftsmanship. FastDad, if you are reading this, please do tell us how you build your own carbon springs. The Google translate is not good enough ....

FastDad

by FastDad

The carbon spring was made by my good friend Thomas, aka Cola Wheat/Colaweizen

As you can see in the pictures in the link, he did stick a wire through a plastic tube and pulled a double string of rovings through it. This way he got a roving loop at one side opf the tube. With this loop he pulled a good number of resin sattured Rovings through the plastik tube. Thomas wraped this roving filled plastik tube around a peace of metal and let the resin harden. After he removed the plastic , he finaly made the side junktion

2old4this

by 2old4this

My God! This entire project is a work of art and pure genius. Thanks for the additional explanation...

MikeDee

by MikeDee

jamesbass wrote:Downtube shifters and super minimal TT brake levers are about as light as you can get but, if someone were to magically combine them into some kind of drop-bar-clamping single system, despite probably being uncomfortable to hold, it would be enough to undercut all other systems by a large margin. Maybe that's a good place to start before going "all in" with the full groupset.

This is 18-19g for example (from "Show me your tuning")

Ugh... That "thing" wins the butt-ugliness of the year contest.

jooo

by jooo

jamesbass wrote:Downtube shifters and super minimal TT brake levers are about as light as you can get but, if someone were to magically combine them into some kind of drop-bar-clamping single system, despite probably being uncomfortable to hold, it would be enough to undercut all other systems by a large margin. Maybe that's a good place to start before going "all in" with the full groupset.

This is 18-19g for example (from "Show me your tuning")

Do you remember who made/posted this?

BRM

by BRM

jooo wrote:Do you remember who made/posted this?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109794&hilit=Show+me+your+tuning

scroll down on that page

jooo

by jooo

Thanks

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Timujin wrote:My 2c worth...re-inventing the wheel... Campy SR 2015 (not just because I have it) is pretty classy, light weight and mechanically perfect...

I have similar thoughts. Aren't we kinda already there with mechanical? DA9000 gets rave reviews and SRAM Red 22 is lighter, but may not be as buttery apparently. Either way, there's two more good choices to go along with your SR choice.

I fully expect that one day down the road all three mfgs will release updates to these and chances are pretty good that they'll be better still.

BRM

by BRM

Before you release such a group you first need to develop. Because of the uberlightness it will be ubersensitive. To develop multiple components that are adjusted well to eachother you need a large amount of man hours. With one or 2 people only, it will take long time before something is finally for sale. (years?)
Not enough focus on development causes definitely lots of warranty issues of such a sensitive group.

And that is a next problem. The aftersales and warranty handling.
There are others that try to set nicheproducts on the market that have terrible problems with it. I only mention one name as example: Camillo . . . . (synonym for how you NOT should run a business)

Communication, administration, warranty, aftersales. All you need to manage! Dont take that lightly!
With Camillo its about a pair of brakes orso, about a limited amount of money what buyers bring in. But a total group cost much more. Makes unsatisfied buyers will be more furious because more money is involved. When it goes really wrong with aftersales, expect people at your door.

Not only there are: Sram, Shimano, Campagnolo. But also Rotor comes soon with the Uno.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/The_ ... _5299.html

Will make it terrible difficult to set something new on the market.
Also you need to sell your product in enough amount to cover your investment.

Besides this all the weight weenie concept is dying slowly.
These days you can build a light bike with fairly standard components.
Probably most people also weight weenies, will go for a reliable group of an established manufacturer instead of an exotic one. The group of potential buyers will be very limited, imo.