Direct-fit frames and Enduro BRT-002 tool

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Anyone that use Enduro BRT-002 for direct-fit bearings?

What is your view of the tool?

I used Park Tool bbt-30.3, but i almost got an heart attack knocking the bearings out!

I had a feeling the whole frame would get damaged. I dare not use again.

I am not sure it is better using BRT-002, but it seems that way?

Bloody expensive tool, the BRT-002!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Agreed. The Park Tool BB30 you hit with a mallet is pure comedy. You will find better BB30 removers from Cyclo and Unior, as well as Enduro.

Note that Park now do a new BB press.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

androidavies

by androidavies

It's brilliant! Yes, it's expensive, but makes the job a pleasure to do..... One of my favourite tools.

lannes

by lannes

The design of this tool, rests on the face of bearing cup and puts pressure on it while you twist the threaded section to pull the bearing out.

With a direct fit frame you will need to be more careful about the amount of pressure you apply, as the there are no bearing cups.
In a direct fit , the tool rests diretly against the frame, if the bearing does not move easily, there is a chance the softer carbon could be cosmeticly damaged as you screw down the extractor, as that would give first.
I think you just need to go slow and at times back out the extractor to see if any damaged has occurred, before proceeding. It will be difficult to notice if the tool is gouging the frame surface as you might think it is pulling the bearing but in fact it is going the other way as you tighten the extractor.

I would not really mess with with direct fit bearing if you don't have to, reapeated extraction and pressing of the bearings may impact on the fit of the bearings in the softer carbon face of the frame.

It is best to confirm with the frame manufacturer what is the best method to remove the bearings, if the area where the bearings sit in the frame gets worn or enlarged in any way then this maybe dificult to remedy.

rmerka

by rmerka

Blind Bearing Puller

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I've never seen a blind bearing puller for BBs. Got a link?
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

rmerka

by rmerka

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id197.html

You can probably find the same set cheaper on Amazon or something like that too.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Bearings-Hammer-B ... B00MHTJVTS

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

There are two things i don't like.

* When you knock bearing and it feels like the whole frame is about to fall apart.

* Using a pull-device taking stance at the BB external carbon wall.

Neither Cervelo or Ax claims one tool must be used over the other.

We just need to be careful. I don't really like paying so much for a tool used to seldom, but if you end up with a crack in the frame, it would cost more to

ship the frame back and forth for repair no to mention the hassle of it all.

So this is clearly a relevant question. If we have a premium to high end frame, i won't risk it.

Press bearings in is easy. It really is, but getting them out is more tricky as you want to apply a smooth increasing pressure, but you don't want to press

the carbon shell.

I decided to order Enduro BRT-002 since it is well know company and i think they have a thing going here.

I will never use a rubber mallet and knock bearings out again. Actually no knocking, not a slide hammer device either.

Not on this frame anyway.

EDIT: I have changed headset at my Ti frame a few times. This is another story. It is much easier and i used a special wood-stick and a hammer.

This actually was better then my bought tool. But for a 700 gram carbon frame with thin walls.... No way!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I bought a BRT-002 from a forum member here (got a new frame that wasn't BB30, so didn't need it any more) and looking at the Tri-Peak setup, it appears to be the same type of setup as the Enduro tool.

The great thing was the additional info/instructions, very useful - thanks @thprice :thumbup:

rmerka

by rmerka

This is how you feel about the bearing removal

wheelsONfire wrote:
I decided to order Enduro BRT-002 since it is well know company and i think they have a thing going here.

I will never use a rubber mallet and knock bearings out again. Actually no knocking, not a slide hammer device either.

Not on this frame anyway.

EDIT: I have changed headset at my Ti frame a few times. This is another story. It is much easier and i used a special wood-stick and a hammer.

This actually was better then my bought tool. But for a 700 gram carbon frame with thin walls.... No way!

yet you chose this route:

lannes wrote:The design of this tool, rests on the face of bearing cup and puts pressure on it while you twist the threaded section to pull the bearing out.

With a direct fit frame you will need to be more careful about the amount of pressure you apply, as the there are no bearing cups.
In a direct fit , the tool rests diretly against the frame, if the bearing does not move easily, there is a chance the softer carbon could be cosmeticly damaged as you screw down the extractor, as that would give first.
I think you just need to go slow and at times back out the extractor to see if any damaged has occurred, before proceeding. It will be difficult to notice if the tool is gouging the frame surface as you might think it is pulling the bearing but in fact it is going the other way as you tighten the extractor.

It's certainly your choice and your frame but do let us know how it works out and whether or not the tool leaves any marks on the frame.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yes it is. It's due to my discussion with Enduro on what frame design i have.

I have looked at how the avaible knock out (rubber mallet) or slide hammer tools look like.

I also have had two of these tools avaible and one i have used. It's PT BBT 30.3, i'd rather not use it again.

There are no obvious tools suggested by Cervelo or Ax Lightness for such a job.

There are also a few guys using BRT-002 with R5CA so hopefully it will be fine.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Sorry for the grave dig here but couldn't find any other threads or useful info. I'm wanting to purchase a BB removal tool so finally there will be no general mechanic work I can't complete at home. I was looking at the Enduro BRT tools but it seems that I would need both as I have BB86 and Pressfit bikes, running Rotor 3D 30mm cranks. Does anyone know if either tool is interchangeable? Can the BRT-002 also work on Pressfit frames or vice versa? I'm not 100% as to what the difference is between the two.

I also like the look of the TriPeak listed above as it will work with most Pressfit BB's - anyone have experience with this model?

Or other recommendations? I really want to avoid 'knocking' the bearings out and already have a press so can be a removal only tool.

Cheers

ms6073

by ms6073

The Enduro BRT-002 works with BB30 and PF30 bearing cups but you will need the Enduro BRT-003 toolset for removing and installing BB86/92 bottom bracket cups, and the bearings inside them.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Thanks ms6073 - also heard back from a seller that the BRT-003 won't work when trying to remove the 41/30 bearings as the inner race diameter is to large. That just confuses me more, while I like the look of the tool itself I think I'll just go with the TriPeak one. At least I know it will work with practically everything.