Sram Red etap vs Shimano Di2....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rngus231

by rngus231

I'll buy sram. Because of the weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kongbop

by Kongbop

I prefer shimano bacause I don't want to charge every piece batteries!

oopssk8

by oopssk8

E tap is better. I think.
more comfortable, lighter, more tidy.
when i use di2, i alway have problems in setting, washing
I can't do this by myself, have to depend on the mechanic.
etap? You don't need to visit shop. You can solve every problems without broken-down.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Kongbop wrote:I prefer shimano bacause I don't want to charge every piece batteries!

Do you charge the batter in your Garmin?

The Rd batter will last for over a month. When it flashes red you still have 5 hours of use. If you're out on a ride, you can easily swap it to the FD which uses much less, and still complete your ride. Recharging is 40 minutes. The shifter batteries are good for 2 years and cots $1 each. So just change them every winter.

And when you charge the battery, you don't have to have an outlet near the bike.

Complaining about having 4 batteries is lame. That's like me saying I don't like Di2 because running the wire is a problem. Both are good, I just like eTap more.

nycebo

by nycebo

A couple things on shift patterns....

With SRAM eTap, on approaching an uphill, simply click the right shifter once to initiate the outboard shift and then, while still holding the shifter down, click the left shifter to change the front. The SRAM is a sweet looking product and I love the fact that it's wireless. Nevertheless, once things are installed, it's not that big a deal (unless the visible Di2 junction box really ruins the bikes lines for you). But more importantly, what I really like about the SRAM is the new shift pattern. Genius and intuitive.

Which brings me to...why can Di2 do this? Turns out that Di2 can. In fact, once I learned about SRAM's inventive and intuitive new shift pattern, I logged into Shimano e-Tube software and simply reprogrammed by levers to shift the same...with a minor difference. My left big lever shifts the rear cassette inboard (to the left). The right big lever shifts the rear cassette outboard (to the right). Both are the same as SRAM. I use the little shift levers to shift the front derailleur inboard (left small button) or outboard (right small button). It's actually super nice and I wonder if I don't like it even better than SRAM. Anyway, you all may want to give it a shot. But, do remind your friends if they ride your bike that shifting is slightly modified....or they may shift too high and tip over while starting off!

bungis

by bungis

Regarding batteries, one thing I found weird with Di2 is that there's no passive indication of a low battery. You have to deliberately press the shift buttons a certain way to get the status LED for it. It should just blink a slow red or something.

There's also no indication that it's actually charging.

I'd imagine that eTap sends the warning to your head unit too, since it's already wireless. Like what power meters do.

nycebo

by nycebo

bungis wrote:Regarding batteries, one thing I found weird with Di2 is that there's no passive indication of a low battery.

Agreed. My workaround is to look on my Garmin Edge. I have a page that has some Di2 info on it.

But, it would be nice to see a little light on the junction box that alerts us to a low battery.

rmerka

by rmerka

bungis wrote:There's also no indication that it's actually charging.

The charger lights when it's charging and the light goes out when it's fully charged.

KidKarbon

by KidKarbon

I'm not a fan of etap simply because it fixes problems I never knew I had and introduces new ones I dont want such as battery drain when the bike is being transported. Yes it stays on when the bike is on a roof rack.
Although I have the ability to remove the battery continuously its not been established yet how good the seal will be after a year of usage and what happens if water gets between the battery and mech.. First gen sram no thanks

Tooslow

by Tooslow

KidKarbon wrote:I'm not a fan of etap simply because it fixes problems I never knew I had and introduces new ones I dont want such as battery drain when the bike is being transported. Yes it stays on when the bike is on a roof rack.
Although I have the ability to remove the battery continuously its not been established yet how good the seal will be after a year of usage and what happens if water gets between the battery and mech.. First gen sram no thanks

For me it solves a big problem- I have a mech C59 frame and now I can run electronic without drilling a frame or running wires externally.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

KidKarbon wrote:I dont want such as battery drain when the bike is being transported. Yes it stays on when the bike is on a roof rack.

It takes 2 seconds to remove the batteries.

KidKarbon wrote: what happens if water gets between the battery and mech..

Sram had a demo of the RD in a fish tank and it worked fine.

KidKarbon

by KidKarbon

[quote="oldnslow2]"Sram had a demo of the RD in a fish tank and it worked fine.[/quote]

I would assume that SRAM would have a brand new battery on a new RD for that demo. It has yet to be established if the continued action of removing the battery for charging over the course of two years for example will cause wear or fitting issues to either the locking mech or the seal.
SRAM had some impressive demos in place for Hydro-R before it was released and yet that got recalled twice.

KWalker

by KWalker

Having ridden both, eTap hand's down for the following reasons:

-No wiring. Faster, easier, cleaner install. No junction box to zip tie to stuff, nothing to worry about.
-Tactile feedback is far better. With winter gloves I'd have to program di2 to use the buttons in reverse because I would hit the wrong button.
-Trimming on the fly is super easy. You can reach the shift paddle trim buttons in any position and trim while riding very easily. Not that the junction box method of di2 is hard.
-The der setup buttons are really nice for working in the stand.
-For shifting and braking at once the larger eTap paddles make it slightly easier to do both at the same time as you can tap the paddle with a knuckle. I've detailed this in the eTap thread.
-I feel eTap's front shifting is faster and better. It might not be faster, but I definitely like it more under load.
-I like having a battery on each der rather than one centrally mounted with tons of wires. I've yet to run a battery low and am very forgetful about charging. I have a spare in my saddle bag.

To me the rear shifting feels just like EPS, but I don't/won't ride Campy so I get the feel I like about it and none of the stuff that I don't.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

KidKarbon wrote:[quote="oldnslow2]"Sram had a demo of the RD in a fish tank and it worked fine.[/quote]

I would assume that SRAM would have a brand new battery on a new RD for that demo. It has yet to be established if the continued action of removing the battery for charging over the course of two years for example will cause wear or fitting issues to either the locking mech or the seal.
SRAM had some impressive demos in place for Hydro-R before it was released and yet that got recalled twice.[/quote]

The battery has 2 gold plated and spring loaded contact points. The derailleurs have 2 gold plated contacts. I doubt removing them a dozen times a year will cause problems.

But if you want to find a reason, sure why not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

bungis wrote:You have to deliberately press the shift buttons a certain way to get the status LED for it. It should just blink a slow red or something.

You really consider that a big issue, click the shift button and hold for a second and wait to see what light flashes to see status of your battery?

Solid Green = full charge
Flash green = 50% charge
Solid Red = 25% charge
Flash red = critically low charge

I can't believe this is actually raised as being a downside or a problem. Very easy to know status of Di2 battery.

bungis wrote:There's also no indication that it's actually charging.

Not sure if trolling or what? Guess what my Di2 system is currently doing as I type this?

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."