Frame choice - 1x build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

akafinto

by akafinto

I'm looking for a new frameset for my next build project - a 1x11 road bike. I currently ride 1x on my TT bike & would like to be able to change wheels etc without too much hassle. Also keen to replicate the gearing & shifting whilst training over the winter.

So, what am I after? I'd like to keep weight down where possible, but the main concern is price - sub-£1k for the frameset please. Although I'd be plenty happy to look second hand. I'd also like either a removable front derailleur holder, or band-on frame - no point in leaving a pointless bit of metal hanging in the wind.

Lastly, I'm not overly fussed about material, but quite fancy something a bit "different". So in an ideal world I may lean away from carbon frames - maybe old-school steel?

Be interested in people's thoughts here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Spincycle

by Spincycle

Steel is a definite possibility, maybe even Ti if you really hunt for a good deal. My recommendation is to stalk ebay and local for sale listings over the winter months when demand and prices drop dramatically. Don't just look for bare frames, also look for a complete bike you can part out and replace components to your liking. A light S3 steel frame with well chosen components can achieve 6.5 kg depending on the frame size. Good luck!

Spincycle

by Spincycle

Oh, and be careful of finding too good of a deal, especially on carbon bare frames. There a lot of knockoffs flooding the market (helmets(!) too). Confirm authenticity of what you purchase, anything used from first Owner with all manuf. verified SN, paperwork and receipts. Check out this article:

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/com ... -bike-gear

Marin

by Marin

I love my Ritchey Logic.