Canyon selling direct to USA December 2015

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Read an article on Red Kite Prayer speculating that this (Canyon finally selling in the US) might be the reason that Trek is getting into the direct-to-consumer model soon.

http://redkiteprayer.com/2015/10/why-tr ... verything/

http://redkiteprayer.com/2015/11/treks- ... -part-two/

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Canyon coming to the US is no big surprise, but I don't think that alone warrants Trek to change their sales model because of it. That may be one of the reasons why they change, but I think it has more to do with competing with online retailers as a whole, and an attempt to solve one of the common consumer gripe (when they go to a bike shop, the shop tells them they don't have the product, and they'd have to order it).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bici1977
in the industry

by bici1977

ichobi wrote:I know for a fact that Giant produces Canyon bikes.

How so?

ichobi

by ichobi

bici1977 wrote:

How so?

My friend is the sole distributor of Giant bicycle in Thailand. He is regularly invited to Giant factory every year . He saw a rack of Aeroad and Ultimate hanging about. No picture allowed of course, but I trust him. Other friends who work in Taiwan cycling industry also confirms this.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Just a question, related, for any of the Canyon-owning Europeans who are checking in on this thread:

Did you ever test ride a Canyon before making the order?
This is the one part that only slightly bothers me a bit: I can't test ride a Canyon even if they were available to ship to the US.

(same goes for an AX-Lightness... but I suppose at that price range it's a trust-that-its-what-you-hope-it-to-be situation anyway?)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

hjb1000 wrote:And what about Australia- they said earlier this year that it would be November...

Media launch was Tuesday just gone. Give it a few weeks and we'll be able to order.

ichobi wrote:
bici1977 wrote:

How so?

My friend is the sole distributor of Giant bicycle in Thailand. He is regularly invited to Giant factory every year . He saw a rack of Aeroad and Ultimate hanging about. No picture allowed of course, but I trust him. Other friends who work in Taiwan cycling industry also confirms this.

This is true. But Giant don't take the piss - the bikes are made to Canyon's specs. Not as if they get a TCR and spray "CANYON" on it. So it's a nice fact but ultimately doesn't mean too much.

junchen

by junchen

I'm from Singapore, and thankfully canyon ships to Singapore, at a cost of 3xx usd though. I went to my local bike fitter to get my numbers and showed canyon aeroad geometry to my fitter. He said ok the aeroad fits you, and I ordered it. Cost me 80 usd for bike fitting service....

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks... but geometry is fine (I know my numbers), but about ride quality? When you placed an order you did not have a chance to actually ride the frame and see how it does to your liking (or disliking) ?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

junchen

by junchen

prendrefeu wrote:Thanks... but geometry is fine (I know my numbers), but about ride quality? When you placed an order you did not have a chance to actually ride the frame and see how it does to your liking (or disliking) ?

Ah, I see your pt. For me it's a non factor as the canyon meets my price pt, is easily 1k usd cheaper than the nearest competitor (cervelo s3) and at the back of my mind, if it's good enough for quintana, it's definitely good enough for me, ride quality not withstanding.. [emoji14]
So for me price is the key factor for me...
Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Canyon have a 30 return policy if you're unhappy. All it costs you is the shipping.

Sounds fair enough to me.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

prendrefeu wrote:Just a question, related, for any of the Canyon-owning Europeans who are checking in on this thread:

This is the one part that only slightly bothers me a bit: I can't test ride a Canyon even if they were available to ship to the US.

(same goes for an AX-Lightness... but I suppose at that price range it's a trust-that-its-what-you-hope-it-to-be situation anyway?)

Same question can be asked about most bikes.
Did you get to ride your stoked before buying? or a Pina? Or a Trek even?
How good is a car park test ride, because most of the time, this is all you'll get. Long and varied enough to perform a proper evaluation?

FWIW I had my Canyon back in 2008 when they were very much a niche underground brand. Only way i'd heard of them was through WW. I took a gamble back then, on what turned out to be a fantastic bike.
7 years later, I can only see that they've got better and a hell of a lot more popular.
Official cafe stop tester

Vermu

by Vermu

prendrefeu wrote:Just a question, related, for any of the Canyon-owning Europeans who are checking in on this thread:

On my second canyon now and didn't test drive either.
If something canyon is good at, is drive quality, though is debatable on riders point of view.
Here in Finland the lbs prices are unreasonable compared to what canyon can offer, and there are a lot of canyons.
They've a good customer service and they reply fast. Biggest problem is that the bikes can only be test driven in Koblenz (where they got the main site of operations).

I reckon that in last month I received mail from canyon ceo and he was sorry about delays in shipping.
They've went through a massive overhaul in their logistics center and now it starts to be up and running, thus the delays in delivery.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

I have test ridden Canyon bikes in Koblenz. Its pretty good they measure you up and find a bike that "fits". You can test ride it around the parking lot, that's about it.

They measured me and said I needed a Small frame which I already knew, their stem of choice was a little shorter than I would like but other than that spot on.

calvin

by calvin

PPS on their site is really useful tool if you are not sure which size to choose.
FXKalvis15 code at @montonsports

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

Colnago M10 were also made in the Giant factory. Best frame I've ridden.

Specialized and Merida uses the same fabric too.(Not Giant)