PRO Stealth EVO VS VIBE Carbon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

salesguy

by salesguy

I'm putting together a new build and am stuck on the cockpit choice. This will be a top end build, not looking to cut corners.

Choices are:

1. Vibe UD carbon bar and stem. Have this today on another bike, like it just fine. Looks good.

2. Stealth EVO integrated bar/stem. Can have the exact setup as above, fitment will be right. Not sure about vibration/comfort or if it will be too stiff or whatever. Never ridden one.

3. Zipp's SL-70 aero + sprinter stem. Like the looks the least, but it's probably the least drag. Also probably stiff as hell.

Want to keep with shimano PRO or SRAM/ZIPP product lines.

Anyone ride these and can comment? I really want to go with the stealth evo but am concerned it won't be comfy like the VIBE UD is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arthurf

by arthurf

I've got the Zipp SL70 aero and sprint stem and it's a super stiff combo. Can't notice any difference in aero over a standard bar and it's not the most comfortable riding on the tops but it's really stiff. Not used the Pro setups so I can't comment on them.

mimason

by mimason

I have the Pro Vibe in limited edition compact version now on a recent rebuild of an F8. I was previously riding ENVE compact prior to that. The difference of the two was pretty significant with respect to stiffness with the Pro being much stiffer. I prefer the stiffer setup so I am very please with my decision to abandon the ENVE bars. If you already like the Pro setup then unless you go aluminum I suspect stiffness will be reduced with the other setups as it is unlikely that Zipp aero bars will be as stiff. Check out fairwheel bikes bar testing. I don't recall but they may have tested the Zipp.

Your call on the integrated. If it works for your measurements then it probably a great alternative.

salesguy

by salesguy

Yeah the Fairwheel test shows what we know - the VIBE UD bar is stiff. It's no lightweight though.

DO you have pics of the new LTD bar/stem combo? My old bike has the older graphics, the new ones will be perfect for a matte black frame build.

They did test the old zipp SL bars, quite the noodle. It's all got to match though so all zipp, all pro, etc.

I guess the zipp service course stem + zipp SLC2 bars are an option. But on aesthetics the PRO LTD win hands down.

mimason

by mimason

Im using the Pro bar with enve stem. Pics are in the my new whip thread in intro gallery

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It should be impossible for a flat section bar to be as stiff as a round or oval bar.

Also a larger boom diameter of a stem or a bar should make it stiffer.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

salesguy

by salesguy

Nice looking F8, excellent.

That fairwheels test on stems is interesting, clearly the PRO VIBE carbon stem is a loser in terms of stiffness (not to mention more expensive). Shimano told me as much and strongly recommended the VIBE AL stem. Aesthetically it's nice though.

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the vibe carbon bar/stem from earlier in 2015 and the LTD versions on the PRO site now? Looks like just graphics but wasn't sure.

Allen254

by Allen254

I just bought a PRO stealth and its stiff it looks nice and its comfortable surprisingly dot regret buying it it looks best if its slammed. :D

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

I run the Pro Vibe Bar (carbon) and the Pro Vibe 7S stem (aluminum). The 7s weights the same as the Pro Vibe Carbon, the only wight savings are in the Ti bolts on the Carbon. The 7S is actually stiffer then the Carbon.
I do agree the new all black Pro Vibe Carbon looks great.

mimason

by mimason

I am now doing the same with the pro carbon bar and aluminum vibe stem. Going from the -6 enve to the -10 pro dropped me about 1cm(the stack is 1mm different btw). I can feel the added vibration moving away from the carbon stem but i do like the extra drop as the tradeoff.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

I was in the same situation. I ended up with the Pro Sprint stem and S-works Aerofly. I choose that due to not needing any spacers under the Sprint stem -5deg vs the Stealth at -10 deg would have required spacers. Both have the same drop, reach and shape. So I went with looks and aero. I had the Pro Sprint stem for a couple months with the Vibe 7s bar and compared to the aerobar I don't notice any difference in stiffness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Real world review:- Zipp sl-70aero is not a stiff bar! probably middle of the road but as a 76kg non sprinter, but it flexes quite a bit under every sprint (~1400W pmax so not a terrible sprinter either). Not horribly noodly, but not what you would want as a sprinter build/type. I'm not using the Sprint stem, but it seems all the flex comes in the drops not the tops so I'm not sure how much that would improve things. In contrast i can't notice any flex in the zipp aluminium sl70 that is on my commuter. Obviously another chunk of weight but that might be a necessary evil for a sprinter.