Red 22 cassette noisy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Simon430

by Simon430

Hi,
I using sram red 22 drivetrain, with KMC X11 SL chain, but the bottom half of the cassette, below 5th gear, there seems to be a noise almost like the adjustment isn't right. I've changed wheels and using an ultegra cassette there is no noise in any gear, is there an issue with the cassette? Wheels the noise develops on is reynolds attacks. I have heard reports of noisy cassettes from the previous version but I thought this was fixed? Anyone have any possible solutions?

Regards,
Simon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Assuming no manufacturing defect, the cassette should be quiet. I run this cassette. Always been very quiet.

Make sure of the following:
Derailleur hanger alignment
Rear dropout alignment
New chain
Proper b-screw setting. Works out different for every bike. Experiment a bit to find the best setting
Rear derailleur adjustment - sounds obvious but some get it wrong. Follow Sram tuning protocol

I use a Sram Red 11 speed chain - never tried it with KMC. Of course if you are using a non-sram crank/chainring then this complicates things a bit.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Make sure there isn'tt a 10 speed spacer behind the 22 cassette on the reynolds. Not sure why the red is noisier than the ultegra.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Simon430

by Simon430

Thanks for the replies. I am using a power2max FSA gossamer crankset with sram 10spd chainrings, surely that shouldn't cause a noise at the cassette though? Will try changing the chain for a sram one and see what happens.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Simon430 wrote:Hi,
I using sram red 22 drivetrain, with KMC X11 SL chain, but the bottom half of the cassette, below 5th gear, there seems to be a noise almost like the adjustment isn't right. I've changed wheels and using an ultegra cassette there is no noise in any gear, is there an issue with the cassette? Wheels the noise develops on is reynolds attacks. I have heard reports of noisy cassettes from the previous version but I thought this was fixed? Anyone have any possible solutions?

Regards,
Simon

Many CF wheels amplify noises. Some don't.
Robert

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

My experience has been that it is not the Red cassette that is noisy but (older) version Red chains. KMC X10SL has been dead silent for me on Red cassettes. Only experience is with 10-speed however.
Robert

aaric

by aaric

Couple ideas:

New cassette with a worn chain could do this. Also, you've lubed your chain recently I assume?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

You mean an xg-1190 cassette? They have stealth rings, quietest cassette I've ridden. Jockey's are louder than the cassette.

Not sure what model you are referring too though Red 22?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com