Helmets . whats the point. New study

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

Xena, I don't know why you continue to PM me. If you have something to say and disagree with me just post it here.

In answer to your PM, if you haven't read carefully, nothing new is being discussed nor are opinions changing. It's simply a thread for people to stand on their soapbox. It devalues this subforum and is more in line with a thread elsewhere. You have your opinion and choose to share it. I have mine and do the same. If you don't like my posts put me on your ignore list.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Last edited by ergott on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xena
Banned

by xena

Sorted, may your locks flow free [ if you have any]

https://youtu.be/ikYFfxpu3I0
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

Jeez.

sawyer

by sawyer

xena wrote:
sawyer wrote:If there was compelling evidence that helmets significantly improved safety then they should be compulsory. Why not? We do the same with seatbelts, motorcycle helmets etc etc

Though in some scenarios helmets may be useless or worse than useless, anecdotal evidence and common sense suggest they are net-net, well worth wearing. I always wear one.

By WW's on this site . None of them seem to be able to stay on their bike.

Perhaps we should make stabilisers compulsory

Stabilisers wouldn't significantly improve safety though, in fact they would probably make it more dangerous

The issue is a cost/benefit one. The cost of wearing a helmet is small. I believe there are benefits, and that the balance of evidence supports this view. As per my previous post though I don't see the evidence on benefits is sufficient to make it compulsory, but if that changes, they should be compulsory - as motorcycle helmets and seatbelts are.

The position I'm arguing from is reflected in the road safety legislation of every country in Europe, the United States and other developed countries. Not all that extreme ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

xena
Banned

by xena

My point about stabilisers was meant as a light hearted joke/ view. I could easily have posted body armour or protective pads.
I have been riding all my life without a helmet. Having said that if I was racing crits or serious off road riding than I think a helmet would be a good idea but should still be a choice.
For me riding without a helmet is not a problem "so far so good"
I mean we might as well ban American football or all contact sports even in football/soccer there is now some evidence showing problems with players who head the ball a lot.

Don't forget more people die falling out of bed than those smoking dope ,,,ban beds?
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

ichobi

by ichobi

You know...the beauty of accident is that no one knows when its going to happen. May be one in thoudsands kilometer,may be twice a week. Someone may be lucky, most will not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

The helmet debate seems to be such a visciously polarizing topic. I feel a bit odd with my "middle ground" view. Wear a helmet? racing or group training-always. training on roads with cars-always. tempo/recovery ride on a less traveled MUT-never. It's wrong to think of a helmet as this shield against death, but on the other hand if you need it, it's better than nothing. Everyone chooses their own path, respect each others decisions.

hamd

by hamd

After riding my bike for nearly 30 years without a helmet, convinced that defensive riding was more important, I was clipped by an overtaking motorbike crossing lanes, flipping me onto the asphalt. Most of the impact was absorbed by the side of my body but my head also hit the asphalt hard, an internal sonic sensation I'm unlikely to forget. I suffered a split scalp (and pain, and shock) but experienced no permanent effects from the blow to my head.

Except one, which is that my long-held conviction evaporated pretty fast and I've been using a helmet ever since. Quite happily so.

superdx

by superdx

@hamd Man I'm so glad you're ok

zev

by zev

x2

F45

by F45

I just replaced my 1998 Giro with a new helmet, a Bontrager aero something. I wear it whenever I remember it.

kgt

by kgt

Whenever you remember it...??? :\

Have you ever tried to imagine yourself driving a car, hitting a cyclist and killing him because he was not wearing a helmet?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

As I type this I'm nursing a broken collarbone back to health from a crash 5 weeks ago. I also suffered a concussion and my helmet was toast. The next day I couldn't type a sentence on the computer cuz it "hurt my brain". Might not be here right now if it wasn't for my helmet. I know a guy, former pro back in the day, that doesn't wear a helmet with the lame excuse of "I know how to ride a bike". Maybe so, but when something like what happened to @hamd a few posts up occurs, then you are no longer in control and at the mercy of whatever incident is taking place. Other than that one guy, I don't know anyone who rides without a helmet.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dmp

by dmp

Hope you get well soon Calnago! There's some good evidence that people need "cognitive rest" after a concussive event so don't push the computer use etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks. Yes. The first couple weeks I slept an awful lot. Even moving in bed had my head spinning. Never had a concussion before, at least not one that I was so aware of as this one. Wear Your Helmets.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ