Helmets . whats the point. New study

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xena
Banned

by xena

superdx wrote:
xena wrote:
superdx wrote:I wonder if the OP will leave their Twitter or their FB account, or some kind of identifier so that when one day, if there is an incident, we can link to this thread to any news outlet that wants to discuss helmet wearing. Would be really interesting when that day comes!

Cheers , I will definitely keep you posted . Just in case its a fatal crash could you send me your address so I can get my wife or my 2 sons to pass you on the appropriate info. It will be "really interesting" when I am seriously hurt or killed ,,,jesus
Thanks for your nice post

I Posted the article because it was just released. I then gave my opinion about helmets.
The thread is about your views on the article and not about me not wearing a helmet.

But you don't wear a helmet right? I wish you a long and healthy life. But accidents do happen. This is why insurance companies exist. I would guess you don't have any insurance either because you don't think anything will happen to you. Plenty of people have posted their experience here where helmets have saved from becoming a vegetable. You choose not to wear a helmet, congratulations to you, and I hope you never have an accident. But because you don't wear a helmet, you should also fill out an organ donor card because someone else WILL be saved because of what you choose not to do. Think about it. It's devastating when patients die because no suitable organs are available, and it's a huge problem, read up on it, since you appear to be equally interested in studies about not wearing helmets.

I was going to give you a sensible reply but you seemed to have pinned me down as some long haired guy who rides around doing wheelies whilst texting his friends, does not have insurance and does not carry a donor card.

You are wrong on all accounts [ except the hair] "assumption the undoing of stupid men or women"

it seems to me if you read the posts above. its the guys who are wearing the helmets that seem to be crashing . There's a statistic right there that seems to suggest the helmet wearing guys on this site are crashing /having serious injuries and me the non helmet wearer is having no serious crashes.

I think the fact you said it would be "interesting" when I do have a major/fatal accident speaks loads about you.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Derf

by Derf

11.4 wrote:bm0p700f captured the rationale of that study best of anyone so far. And as pointed out earlier, it's highly compromised and a poor piece of statistical research at best. And there's not necessarily a correlation between what legislators do with helmet laws and cyclist head injuries, even though there may be a correlation between actual helmet use and cyclist head injuries. That latter point is the critical one and not addressed by the article. This was a polit sci study, not even an epidemiological one -- much of my professional life is in epidemiology of major infectious outbreaks and I felt rather insulted by the way the study was couched in the article.

Apologies with running fast and loose with the term epidemiological. That said, I agree with your position.

What's the point?
N=1, 3 trashed helmets on 3 different occasions, 2 induced endos (one by a teammate that went down in front of me, another by a car that made a left across me) had me doing a somersault where the first point of contact with the ground was my helmet. Good/fortunate tumbling in those cases: both ended in minor personal damage and moderately smooshed but not cracked helmets. Third was getting sideswiped in the bell lap of a scratch race and went down hard; I have the luxury of being a human barometer and scaring people with my Frankenstein-like clavicle (the screws are pretty clear under the skin). No way to say if the helmets in those cases prevented/mitigated a head injury, but assuredly saved some skin. At $50 a pop, I happily will live with that.

Do not think it's appropriate to have ill wishes towards those who do not wear a helmet.

by 11.4

mattr wrote:Can't believe people put so much faith in helmet design, have you actually seen what the testing protocol consists of?

I don't think this is about faith in helmet design, as if a helmet protects fully or not. In at least some crashes it presumably helps -- perhaps just sliding and bouncing crashes where a concussion might be avoided. Helmet testing, especially CPSC, is definitely deficient. Snell is better but still weak. European testing isn't any better than Snell. But then, who has helmet testing that defines life versus death in a crash -- formula auto racing, GP moto, cycling, slalom skiing, bobsledding? There ain't no such thing anywhere. It's a measure of increments.

danbjpa

by danbjpa

is required change the helmet because his lose efficiency over the time? (due to sun on structure or whatever)
i using the same during long time. so if is true,mine is a 'garnish'. Hehe

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

boysa wrote:Who needs to see the testing protocol? I've had them save my life on at least four occasions.
this is exactly what i mean.
The amount of energy a helmet can absorb is not the difference between life and death, it's the difference between some mild road rash and a two asprin headache and slightly less road rash ands a one asprin headache.

Alexvpaq

by Alexvpaq

Never had a serious crash and I hope it never happens. My motto about this subject is: if you don't need the helmet, you don't need your brain.

xena
Banned

by xena

Alexvpaq wrote:Never had a serious crash and I hope it never happens. My motto about this subject is: if you don't need the helmet, you don't need your brain.

:lol:

ergott

by ergott

I guess these guys needed training wheels too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... ing_a_race

ergott

by ergott

xena wrote:Perhaps we should make stabilisers compulsory

Do what you want, but don't make fun of people that chooses to wear their helmet or assume we don't know how to ride our bikes. Note, I never told you what do to. I merely said this debate is pointless. Not only that, it has nothing to do with this subforum.

Kapeesh?

Just like you. Having a dig at me every chance you get.

Really? Because I didn't like a bike you posted a while back and respectfully told you why? That's a dig? That's EVERY chance I get? I had to do a search to even know what you were talking about.

Quite being such a martyr when people disagree with you.

uraqt

by uraqt

mattr is right...

The helmet testing protocol is a joke... and what science is behind it was old when the protocol was released. It's so bad that I think a few manufactures have said that the "tests" are preventing them from designing better helmets....

It's really really funny that everyone thinks a 1.5/2/3 meter drop (or whatever it is) is close to a crash @ 45 mph? The industry is using lies of admission to sell us helmets....

C

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

danbjpa wrote:is required change the helmet because his lose efficiency over the time? (due to sun on structure or whatever)
i using the same during long time. so if is true,mine is a 'garnish'. Hehe

Long ago I read somewhere that a general rule of thumb is to replace a helmet every 2-3 years because the foam in the protectant structure degrades over time.

Whether this is an industry fact or not for helmets I do not know, but it makes sense from my own experience: various foams that I've used in my work, of different densities and types, all degrade when they're left outside and not covered for a while. I'm guessing the elements/UV/sunlight breaks down the foam's structure. When we work with foam it is brought in at the end of the day (or covered in black plastic if needing to be left outside, brought in as soon as feasible).

:?:
Last edited by prendrefeu on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

There's only so much protection a helmet can offer. I agree safer roads that protect bikes from cars s more important. I'd take issue though that helmets don't offer some measure of protection against skull impacts.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

F45

by F45

Helmet laws aren't really enough. Now that we have socialized health care in the USA and we are all paying for the care of those who hurt themselves, we should make laws against engaging in risky activities. If cycling on the road becomes too dangerous then there should be a law that cycling can only be done on a track or off road. But the trails cannot be too dangerous either. Soon we will have self driving bicycles and cars and we would be able to ride on the road again, but not in a pack.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

The study compares helmet laws and hospitalization rates. It never suggests helmets don't lessen impact or limit the severity of a head injury. The famous correlation is not causation should be heeded as well.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

xena
Banned

by xena

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓