Helmets . whats the point. New study

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xena
Banned

by xena

http://road.cc/content/news/170525-stud ... jury-rates

I don't wear one , never have [ don't want to go bald and lose my huge head of hair :lol:]
Pro riders if they had a choice would certainly not wear them going up climbs etc . They went for years without them.

:popcorn:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Djkinsella89

by Djkinsella89

Studies are great n' all but I've ruined two helmets in the last year from crashes that would have otherwise left me with some sort of brain trauma. I'll continue wearing a helmet and you're more than welcome to continue to avoid wearing one. Do be polite and keep your head contents out of eye site if you are to strike your head in a wreck as that could cause distress for witnesses. Thanks

Squint

by Squint

This is a study that compares helmet legislation with injury rates which is a very indirect relationship.

I'm more interested in whether a helmet reduces injury when falling from head height to the ground which is what we should be concerned with.

rmerka

by rmerka

I've personally cracked two helmets in crashes. Won't ride without one. As to what pro-cyclists used to do, well as a species we learn from history and make advancements that make sense. We used to drive cars without seat belts too but that doesn't make it a good idea.

OP, please make sure you're medical coverage provides for long-term rehabilitative care. That's some really risky dice you're rolling.

As for my hair...that ship sailed many moons ago. :lol:

boysa

by boysa

Ha! The goalies in the NHL didn't wear masks, either. The first one to put one on was harassed, called a pansy. (edit)
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

"Pro riders if they had a choice would certainly not wear them going up climbs etc . They went for years without them."

Hard to argue facts like that. Case closed.

AJS914

by AJS914

We are wearing helmets for the low probability that we crash and hit our head. I've probably ridden at easy 50-70K miles in my life and have had one crash wear the helmet was crushed. I've seen a few others of close friends so from my anecdotal experience I know you do hit your head and I know helmets provide protection.

I have a feeling that nobody though is going to convince Xena if he's never wears a helmet.

There are pro-bicycle no helmet activists out there. They don't like helmet laws (not saying they don't like helmets) because they think it will lead to less people cycling. They would rather have more people cycling even if they are less safe.

Just because a study says that helmet laws don't work doesn't mean that helmets don't work. They study could be flawed. People could already be wearing helmets and thus the enacting the law makes no difference at all. Or, the law is not enforced so there was no change in behavior associated with the law.

efeballi

by efeballi

Few years ago, a motorbike rider died of head injuries while he was in an anti-helmet legislation demonstration, on his motorbike.

I have also cracked a helmet and would never go without one, not with all those maniacs sharing the road.

Think of your loved ones seeing you as a vegetable when not wearing a helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

LloydP

by LloydP

Based on the study cited, perhaps the topic should be: helmet laws: what's the point?

Personally, I wear one, but I don't think there should be legislation for every little thing. That way madness lies.

When I broke my hand a couple years ago, the first thing I was asked in A&E after I mentioned bicycle was: were you wearing a helmet, and did you hit your head? And then they asked it again a few times just for good measure. Head injuries are bad and healthcare professionals are, rightly, concerned because head trauma is one of the quickest ways to change your life

Legislation, on the other hand, is debatable, which is why politics is mostly an overblown debating society

KTCY

by KTCY

i met up with accident before. The helmet crack and thank god i'm typing here now.

I will never risk to ride without having one.

rmerka

by rmerka

I wonder if anyone's done a wind tunnel diff on what you save wearing an aero helmet vs letting those glorious locks fly! Maybe that would be what pros would choose, after all you have to get to the hill and get down it.

joepac

by joepac

Squint wrote:This is a study that compares helmet legislation with injury rates which is a very indirect relationship.

I'm more interested in whether a helmet reduces injury when falling from head height to the ground which is what we should be concerned with.

HELMET **LEGISLATION!!!** AND INJURY RATES.... Not the act of wearing a helmet. Helmets do make injuries not as bad.

Reading is hard, apparently. I mean really the only way you can slightly redeem yourself is to play it off like you were just trying to troll the board... :roll: :roll: :roll:

spud

by spud

did a long ride once w/o my helmet as I'd forgotten it, and I hated it. left extra room in the pace line just in case.
Regarding legislation, as long as the public is on the hook when someone dashes their brains out, then legislation makes sense. Long term care is expensive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

So, how do you prove such an assumption (that infrastructure decreases injury rate) ?
Spend a few billion on bike infrastructure "protection" , then compare stats ?
then
If more injuries, then write an article that assumes : wrong infrastructure (blame previous goverment décisions)
Blah,blah,,,,, etc....

:lol:

Leave helmets alone :wink:

Louis :)