What tubular with great puncture resistance ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spookyload

by spookyload

KCookie wrote:
spookyload wrote:Just did a double century on the new Corsa G+ 25mm. Unbelievable ride. I rode 100 rear and 95 front. I used to love the paves, but these are legit. There was a 4mile descent on a gravel road, and I never doubted the tires a second. I carry a 2oz bottle or orange seal on case of flats, but mostly to show the tire gods I still respect their wrath.

Hey spookyload,
I was looking at these tyres to, did you happen to weigh them before mounting, if so what did they weigh please.
Cheers

I didn't weight the ones installed. I have another new one at home I can weigh. Will post later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Conti's Gatorskin would be one to recommend.

Its ride quality is ok.

I guess goos tubs and sealant could have you covered in terms of puncture problem.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

KCookie

by KCookie

spookyload wrote:
KCookie wrote:
spookyload wrote:Just did a double century on the new Corsa G+ 25mm. Unbelievable ride. I rode 100 rear and 95 front. I used to love the paves, but these are legit. There was a 4mile descent on a gravel road, and I never doubted the tires a second. I carry a 2oz bottle or orange seal on case of flats, but mostly to show the tire gods I still respect their wrath.

Hey spookyload,
I was looking at these tyres to, did you happen to weigh them before mounting, if so what did they weigh please.
Cheers

I didn't weight the ones installed. I have another new one at home I can weigh. Will post later.

Awesome, cheers. !!

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Another vote for Pave here. I Continental Sprinter Gatorskins last winter and hated every godforsaken kilometre (tough as old boots but even at 70psi the ride...).

964Cup

by 964Cup

Used to use Paves (24c and then 25c - rated the 24c better for puncture resistance), now run Challenge Stradas in a 25c. Excellent puncture resistance so far, and not as slow as the Paves IMO. Bonus gumwall style, too.

Sprinter Gatorskins are pretty much puncture-proof, but ride like they're made of cement. Conti Comps (I use a 22c) have also held up well.

ico

by ico

Continental Sprinter in 25mm is a very good choice.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Gatorskin tubs. I gave a set. They feel dead but they are comfortable enough, grippy enough and they do t puncture every 5 minutes. I can use my bikes equipped with tubulars with these tyres through winter. A tyre you love to hate but it's quite useful.

trainingpartner

by trainingpartner

Calnago wrote:
Fri May 27, 2016 11:34 pm
Depends a lot on your weight. Obviously if you're a heavier rider you will need more pressure, lower weight riders can get away with less. Like you said, experiment till you find the sweet spot for you.
I don't like super low pressures as I feel things start getting "mushy" feeling. I'm heavier at around 200lbs and run the rear Conti Comp 25 at around 110-112 and the front at 100-102psi or so. With Veloflex 25mm tubulars I seem to run about 5psi more front and rear.

Last year, I stupidly didn't stop to check while climbing a hill when things felt off and thought it was just that I went over some loose sand or gravel. After I finished the climb and gained speed up to around 20-25mph I made a quite sudden turn and the front wheel went out from under me. Slammed on the tarmac pretty good and put me out of commission for a while. The tire was still stuck perfectly to the rim but riding with super low pressure had caused the outer tread casing to start separating. I still rode it afterwards but just kept an eye on things and it never got worse over it's useful life. Didn't look so good however. That was a 25mm Veloflex Arenberg. That was the crash that ultimately gave me justification to upgrade to the new 2015 Campy stuff, since the levers got a little banged up cosmetically. Was really looking for an excuse all along.
I did the same thing but broke my hip in the fall!

2000m2

by 2000m2

mrgray wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:37 am
in my experience veloflex and vittoria ride like pillows but offer almost zero puncture protection. but if you brush the tyres as per above and get lucky, it can work out. sealant (tufo extreme) is a must have. or improve chances of no puncture even further my sabotaging ride quality and use schwalbe ones, or sprinters etc.

and always carry sealant, a pump and a spare.
I have sealant in my tubulars. It has saved me twice in the past couple of weeks. Two different bikes with a different wheelset and different tires: Veloflex Pro Tour and Vittoria Corsa G+ 4C. Both times, I heard air leak, stopped and put the puncture at the bottom of the wheel spin and they eventually sealed. First time, I wasn't too far from home yet, debated going back, but decided to press on. Everything worked great. Second time, I got sprayed a bit with sealant, stopped, puncture at the bottom 'til it stopped leaking and also made it home without issue. I was surprised both times to have retained really good pressure when I checked at home. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I also carry a spare tubular that is an old one, so it still has sealant in it from when I was using it regularly.

GS100

by GS100

2000m2 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:37 pm
mrgray wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:37 am
in my experience veloflex and vittoria ride like pillows but offer almost zero puncture protection. but if you brush the tyres as per above and get lucky, it can work out. sealant (tufo extreme) is a must have. or improve chances of no puncture even further my sabotaging ride quality and use schwalbe ones, or sprinters etc.

and always carry sealant, a pump and a spare.
I have sealant in my tubulars. It has saved me twice in the past couple of weeks. Two different bikes with a different wheelset and different tires: Veloflex Pro Tour and Vittoria Corsa G+ 4C. Both times, I heard air leak, stopped and put the puncture at the bottom of the wheel spin and they eventually sealed. First time, I wasn't too far from home yet, debated going back, but decided to press on. Everything worked great. Second time, I got sprayed a bit with sealant, stopped, puncture at the bottom 'til it stopped leaking and also made it home without issue. I was surprised both times to have retained really good pressure when I checked at home. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I also carry a spare tubular that is an old one, so it still has sealant in it from when I was using it regularly.
This.

I've managed to prolong the life of punctured tubs using sealant. Just carry a small bottle and valve tool with me in case.

I honestly don't get the argument for road tubeless when there's nothing stopping you from putting sealant in a tube? Also I strongly suspect sealant in a latex tube within a tubular casing plus protection belt etc has far more chance of sealing at higher road pressures compared to tubeless (multiple layers of material).

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I dissected a Vittoria tub and the latex tube weighed 45g.
There is simply not enough substance to support the latex sealant as it clots in the leak; in my experience from that single tyre the sealant just leaks in to the space between the casing and the tube.
At least three companies have made attempts to address this by fusing the layers together to give something more to seal - Tufo, Dugast "Ori", Challenge tubeless tubular. I will strongly consider the latter for my next set of tubs.
To me, unless it's for run-flat safety in the mountains, the idea of a Gatorskin Tub is a bit mad - the worst of all possible worlds.

velov

by velov

Do all Tufo models have the fused innertube? Also, theoretically could use plugs to seal bigger cuts I'm guessing?

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I'm not sure about Tufo, think so though.
Yes the ability to plug is another selling point.
Some users over on VelocipedeSalon have reported their experience with the Challenge products.
Unfortunately some of the larger tubs are really quite heavy compared to a tubeless clincher setup and so I would imagine they won't catch on but it's nice to have another option.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

GS100 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:03 am

I honestly don't get the argument for road tubeless when there's nothing stopping you from putting sealant in a tube? Also I strongly suspect sealant in a latex tube within a tubular casing plus protection belt etc has far more chance of sealing at higher road pressures compared to tubeless (multiple layers of material).

A bonded composite of material that ends up being thicker is beneficial in several ways.

1) There will be less deformation to potentially result in a broken seal.
2) It is simply more likely to hold the aggregate. In contrast, a thin latex tube is too elastic on its own to hold aggregate in place. And once that aggregate gets between the casing and tube, it’s not doing anything useful.

On top of that, a tubeless tubular with a latex tube fused to the casing (done correctly) would potentially result in a faster rolling tire than a traditional tubular where there is sliding friction between the casing and the tube.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cveks

by cveks

Tufo S33 Pro

Never had a puncture . I use Tufo S33 Pro more than 3 years. 30.000+ kms ridden.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com