Rotor 3D+ broken crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Erased. Already discussed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

florens wrote:Broke mine too.
ohhyeok90 wrote:I heard friend of mine who has same crank model got broked.
What was the location of the failure? The same as the crank arm of the OP? Got pix? I'm just curious if @maquisard's case is isolated, which it probably isn't.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Mackers

by Mackers

Just another "need 10 posts to qualify for Starbike discount" poster.

Doubtful he actually knows anything or will ever be back.

FreaK

by FreaK

Looking at the original post, i'm amazed at the combination of how the fracture face looked and the lack of any mention of creaking.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

AZR3

by AZR3

This has been one of my greatest fears seeing aluminum cranks fail. I keep checking my 3D+ every time I see this thread pop back up to the top.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

There's been a LOT of instances of Cannondale's SISL2 cranks cracking around the arm-spider interface area, but no complete failures. Alloy WW cranks are a little sus...

maquisard

by maquisard

Broke a couple of ribs and in addition to the crank I have to replace my carbon bars, left Dura ace shifter and left Keo 2 Blade. Hopefully Rotor will replace the crank for me, it is with the shop. I tried contacting Rotor directly but so far they have ignored me...

salesguy

by salesguy

is there no legal liability there? I'm sure a letter from your lawyer will get them to respond.

maquisard

by maquisard

A few hundred euros to replace my bars, shifter and pedals vs hundreds to thousands on legal expenses with no guaranteed successful outcome. Not worth it, I just wish Rotor would at least acknowledge they messed up.

kikis

by kikis

I also experienced a cracked rotor 3D+ crank arm (non drive side) twice. The first one was replaced by velotech. The second time around, just 3 days ago, the 3D+ crank that came with my 2014 P5-6 and transferred to my S3 developed a crack as well in the non drive side. Same as the first, no crash and nothing out of the norm was done or happened to the crankset. Contacted rotor regarding the problem, no reply. Not sure if others here that experienced the same issue got a reply from rotor itself and if they covered the replacement.

maquisard

by maquisard

Hi,

In the case of both my failed 3DF and 3D+ they were replaced through Velotech in the UK. On the occasion when my 3D+ failed Rotor also provided me with a set of free Q-rings as a gesture of good will.

The 3D+ is a nice crank but I would give it two season most before replacing.

What do you weigh out of interest?

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

Over the years I have seen failures of shimano, campag (carbon too), rotor cranks, and a few others (stronglight!) but I can't recall any sram ones. Did I just miss that or ...? I have actually toured their crank development facility in California and from what I garnered they design them to fail at the spindle (steel or AL) rather than at the carbon crank so it isn't a catastrophic one.

kikis

by kikis

maquisard wrote:Hi,

In the case of both my failed 3DF and 3D+ they were replaced through Velotech in the UK. On the occasion when my 3D+ failed Rotor also provided me with a set of free Q-rings as a gesture of good will.

The 3D+ is a nice crank but I would give it two season most before replacing.

What do you weigh out of interest?

That's good to know! I hope they will reply to me though. :)

I'm 77 kilos/169 lbs

maquisard

by maquisard

More or less exactly the same weight as me, we shouldn't be breaking cranks!

kikis

by kikis

maquisard wrote:More or less exactly the same weight as me, we shouldn't be breaking cranks!

Exactly! And I'm definitely not generating Cavendish kind of power either

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com