%^$#@&&*^ Vittoria Corsa...!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

drchull wrote:First world problems pretty much describes every posting on a internet message board about high end bikes.

I disagree. Not all threads on this forum are complaint threads... Unless that's all you read on this forum? I tend to read about tuning, new tech concepts, engineering and design. Those are not complaints, but amazing opportunities to discuss and learn. What type of topic do you naturally gravitate towards? Complaints? What's that all about?

The "1st world problems" points more to the getting very upset about something that one is quite fortunate to do when the failure of that product, or inconvenience, caused no bodily harm to that person nor disrupted their abilities to do the basics of life (eat/drink, breathe, sleep, operate basic needs as a human, etc:.) If the OP had the tires completely blow out on a descent and he/she became physically injured as a result, that's another thing entirely... still an issue that many have to deal with in life, especially if someone depends on a tire to transport food to their family. But instead it's just a bummer that the OP had a few flats... which, you know, has happened to everyone on this board at some point in their cycling endeavors. Maybe it would have been better to write a thread about which tires have the least punctures? Or bring up other threads about tire experiences from other users here?

You may have missed the first reply in this thread that stated the "1st world problems" in one single word. It's still there, go back and read it.

Flats happen. As many have become familiar with, they tend to not happen for a long period of time and then suddenly happen often for a short period of time... I'm sure many have experienced this phenomena. Is there any logic or reasoning behind that? :noidea:
It has happened to me regardless of tires. Yes, even Gatorskin tires on a commuter went for a full year of no issues and then 4 flats in one week... Was a little late to work those days, managing director was upset, but... life moves on. Then no flats, on any bike or tire, for another year. It happens.

But to get really agitated about a minor inconvenience making one post a thread in anger about it, is a 1st world problem.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

In Denmark they are called "Puncteria"... Go figure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Poulidor

by Poulidor

1) The phrase "... to get really agitated about a minor inconvenience making one post a thread in anger about it..." can only be qualified as an exaggeration. 2) If you don't like "complaint" threads, you shouldn't have read mine. 3) I don't really care what you think as it does nothing for pointing me towards tires which might be more resistant to punctures than the ones mentioned. 4) Seems like your handle name is quite revealing (French and so on, get it?). 5) I just bought a bunch of tires of different brands and will try them all to see first hand which I like better. 6) See, no biggie. No anger, no agitation. However, just to make sure, next time please don't bother to read my posts. Simple. Cheers.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

I would chalk it up to bad luck and or user practices. I vigilantly scan my path for sharp bits and brush the tires off periodically. Eight years riding tubulars and Haven't had a flat...yet. Knock on wood ;)

uraqt

by uraqt

I just dismissed the thread because the "happy years with Michelin Pro I"... there isn't enough $$ in the world for me use Michelin Pro tires... I have used every major brand of tires and Michelin Pro Race were a joke... My time on the bike too short and too important to use bad tires...

C

PS Also I think that Vittoria is one of the better manufactures... : )

PSS resistant to punctures are the last thing I care about when riding ....

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

uraqt wrote:I just dismissed the thread because the "happy years with Michelin Pro I"... there isn't enough $$ in the world for me use Michelin Pro tires... I have used every major brand of tires and Michelin Pro Race were a joke... My time on the bike too short and too important to use bad tires...

C

PS Also I think that Vittoria is one of the better manufactures... : )

PSS resistant to punctures are the last thing I care about when riding ....

Sorry, when did you dismiss this thread prior to this post? I'm not sure as to what led you to conclude that Michelin Pro Race tires are a joke? I'd like to know because you've placed some concern on my part given I just mounted a set of Pro4's, have less than 200km on them and would love to hear your input. :wink:

In regards to your comments over the irrelevance in taking account puncture resistance....If all are created equal, roads are debris, pothole, gravel free, then yes, we can quickly throw the "puncture resistance" factor out of the window....but sadly this is hardly close to true and despite riding in one of the most debris free countries, I still find myself in search of the "holy grail" of tires. :noidea:

Yes, I think Vittoria is a hell of a company....have used their tires for the longest of times... love them so much that I still have a pair each of the CX 2(those silly red valve extenders) and 3's in the closet.. But for now, I'll give them a rest and try to change my ways as a creature of habit....test the pro4's... :thumbup:
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kode54

by kode54

there is debris on the road that even the best puncture proof tire can't hold up to. like shards or metal brackets that just slice through a side wall or tread. i tend to not ride too close to the curb where most of my flats happen. that tends to keep my flats to a minimum. i do seem to get more flats the day after it rains...which tends to move more debris to the sides of the road. that said...i've ridden on Vittoria Corsas, Conti GP400S I and II, Schwalbe Ones, Michelin Pros 3 and 4s. all have their days...and depending on what's on the road is what makes me flat. I do tend to swap tires more often and not ride on squared off tires in the rear.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

rmerka

by rmerka

Second that, sometimes your just dealt a shit hand when it comes to punctures. Worst flat I've had was on a set of new 4000S IIs but I don't hold it against the tire.

The one thing I won't compromise on is grip. The newer Vittorias have that in spades so in my book they're good tires. I have some older Vittorias with the Kevlar stuff though that are damn scary when it's wet. Those are indoor roller only tires.

rst72

by rst72

Are we talking about the NEW Corsa or the Open Corsa SC?

The new Corsa is replacing the Open SC and the Open Pave which have both been discontinued.

I've had great luck with the Open Pave, so hoping to have similar luck with the new Corsa where the website states "Kevlar®** reinforced Corespun K for increased sidewall protection".

Poulidor

by Poulidor

The new Corsa. Of course, like some point out, it might be one of those coincidences that do tend to happen.

mythical

by mythical

:popcorn: What kind of roads do you ride, @Poulidor?

I've ridden my share of tubulars and had most of my flats usually towards the end of tire life. Not saying anyone here does, but it strikes me as odd to pay top bucks for a set of tires that are basically made to be used in near-ideal circumstances. :noidea: I've done that myself and abandoned that practice for the same reason as OP abandoned his Vittorias.

Best is to reserve those only for certain occasions, such as races specifically targeted to do well at. Other than that, expensive rubber seems more for looks and bragging rights. We have training wheels and cheap and widely available tires as the best options for the rest or the riding. :smartass:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira