What to buy? Garmin Vector 2 or Powertap PT1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lotushiast

by lotushiast

Hello,

i'am want to buy a pedal based powermeter.
What do think will be the better choice Garmin Vector 2 or Powertap PT1?

Regards Harald.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The batteries in the Garmin last longer I think. The Garmin pedals if you install them properly work very well I will buy another set quite happily.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

P1 Pros
-Easier to install, not as sensitive to installation torque as Vectors
-AAA batts are available anywhere
-No separate pod

Vector Pros
-Uses standard Look cleat (P1's work with standard Look cleats, but clip better with special P1 cleats)
-Cyclingdynamics if you love data
-Coin batts last longer

Price, weight, and accuracy are probably within the same ballpark of each other.

For my money I'd buy the Powertap pedals.

rmerka

by rmerka

Have no experience with the PT pedals. My Vector's which are upgraded V1 to V2 have never given me any issues. I don't worry too much about hitting the exact torque values I just make sure their tight enough that they don't move once the angles are recorded. My power numbers have always been consistent. I'm sure the PTs are really good too.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I would be more worried about cornering clearance, the PT pedals look like a pedal strike waiting to happen

kkibbler

by kkibbler

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/08/powe ... -cornering

Not something I would lose sleep over.

jimborello

by jimborello

Correct me if Im wrong but I think if you use a garmin computer the vector have some feats the other one doesnt.

calleking

by calleking

I just ordered a pair of P1. Did some extensive reading on DCRainmakers site and they've adressed a lot of the power spike issues they initially had. For me who will move the pedals a lot between my road/TT/ergometer cycle the P1's are just moved as any other standard non-power pedal. 1 minute installation :)
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

53x12

by 53x12

I had the Vectors and now the Vector 2. I like them a lot and have had no issues. Been 100% happy.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

just upgraded my V1s to V2s... it was a PITA.. but I finally got everything to talk to each other.. new firmware, etc etc.
Hopefully v3.81 will solve my occasional left pedal signal drop which happens about 1/15 rides.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

chipomarc

by chipomarc

Count me as in the camp that's had good results with my Vectors. Over a year now with them.

I purchased a set of two replacement pods at the time but haven't needed to use them even though I'm running the original cast pods instead of the forged pods that Garmin went to.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Ive had good luck with my Vector V1's. Close to 25000km on them. have had the odd drop out (but cant say ive noticed this for at least 6 months) but nothing that couldn't be solved by turning my edge 1000 off and back on...no need to stop or interrupt the recording. just pause it, turn off, turn on and unpause....worked every time...and i suspect its probably more the edge units fault anyway. the data has always seemed super consistent. i haven't verified this agains other power meters myself but i can do a climb 5 times at the same power and be within a couple seconds for each climb so i trust them.

people go on about ease of installation and how the Vectors are difficult because of this. I don't get it. If you can change a tyre you can install vectors. And the V2 pods look like a no brainer. I bought the park tools torque wrench and crow foot adapter and have removed and reinstalled dozens of times and have never broken a pod. i think the trick is just making sure the pod doesn't rotate and contact the crank arm while your tightening the pedal. it can be a little fiddly but takes no longer than installing a tyre. the torque wrench

I suspect after 25000km (lots of wet weather riding here) i need new pedal bodies as my cleats always feel a little loose even when new. But any other pedal probably would need the same tlc at this stage. I did successfully use the pedalling dynamics to help modify my inner soles to help with a knee injury earlier this year so thats kinda cool. but otherwise i don't really know what one can do with the pedalling dynamics.

All i know about the powertap pedals is what DCrainmaker has written about them so i cant comment on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com