What's the Mavic shoe fit like?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Is it like your Italian long and narrow poncey fit? Or your big fat and wide Frenchie fit, like how the Time shoes used to be?

Thanks.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I found them to be narrow and pointy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

This pertains to the offroad Fury vs Sidi Dominator vs Giro ProLight

My foot is flat and I like toe room and am very sensitive to pressure points around the top of my foot and ankle. I prefer the Fury. It's nice and snug around the heel and does not have any hotspots. I can sometimes get hotpots under the foot in the Dominators.

Sizing is about the same. The fit is so good on the Fury I can size a bit smaller and still do rides up to 12 hours without thinking about my feet.

My question is - does this fit of the offroad Fury also apply to the Road line up?

lannes

by lannes

Mavic, I believe is a straight last, so it would be wide and flat , Sidi is a curved last

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

I'd say narrow to mid width. Narrower than most of the U.S. brands, probably closest to Fizik or DMT. I dig the top level shoes, unimpressed by the entry level stuff.

BlacksmithCycle.com

defride

by defride

I've got their Avenge, entry level.

Went and tried various brands and they were the most secure and comfortable for my foot shape of those I tried, put about 8000m on them so far and very happy.

My foot is med width, high arch and bony heel that slips in a lot of brands.

Hope that helps

dmp

by dmp

Definitely wider and higher volume in the forefoot than Sidi and not as snug at the heel. I tried them on (me: 42 in Sidi, B width in street shoes) and they were too wide- stayed with Sidi.

DJT21

by DJT21

The narrowest shoes I've tried, too narrow for me (last years Zxellium) I normally wear Sidi aswell. Also, cleat holes were very far forward, impossible to get the cleats in a good position. I'd avoid them unless they've changed things this year.

aaronham

by aaronham

Mavic... I feel that it is narrow and pointy.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I got a pair of Mavic in size 46 which is really narrow.
They put pressure at my feet, at both sides.
So i ordered 46 2/3 and just after these are shipped, i am told they will still be as narrow as the smaller size. Sigh!!!

I was recommended Northwave instead... Funny, this is my third pair of shoes, which i probably will have to send back to :(
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I feel i needed to come back to this thread.

I use Giro Factor 46½ and 47. I order size 46 of Mavics new Ksyrium Thermo winter shoe.

It was to snug at the outside of the front of feets and also at the big toes.

Now i got 46 2/3 which seems very close to Giro Factors size 46½ (none ACC, there is also a ACC HV).

The insoles sizes and width are very much alike as is the shoes external shape.

However, the Mavic shoes feels slightly, just slightly more narrow.

I took the Giro insole, which has 3 different versions (intercangeable) arc supports.

I use the RED, high arc. This somewhat changes the feel of the Mavic shoe for the better.

I still feel slight pressure, but i hope the shoes will settle and have some slight give after they've been used a bit.

All in all, i would suggest a buyer invest in some sort of better suited insoles if you buy Mavic.

For me, the standard version insoles is not offering any arc support.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mrgray

by mrgray

narrower than sidi's for the zxellium. had to get rid of them but sidi (wire) i can live with. very italian i would say.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

mimason

by mimason

I have Sidi Wires(recently retired them), Mavic Zxelliums, and Shimano custom fits. The Mavics are more narrow and pointier than the other two. Sidi in between and Shimano a little wider and has a massive toe box. I've found a way to like them all if I get the right sizes though. Mavics are very comfortable to me.

Geoff

by Geoff

I find that the Zxellium are: quite narrow in the heel (narrower than Sidi); similar to Sidi in the toebox; and, with more vertical volume in the instep. I have high arches and low lateral malleolus (which is a real pain) and the Mavic is cut low enough for me. My calcaneus also protrudes quite a bit and the Mavic heel cup seems to do a good job of accommodating that, too. Sidis fit well, but I think that Mavic is better for me.

From the perspective of the sizing, I found that I had to go one full size larger in the Mavic than the Sidi to get the same fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TK421

by TK421

I have two pairs of Mavic shoes - the Galibier & Zxelliums Ultimate models. The Galibiers are 44.5 and Zxelliums are 44.
I find them both relatively narrow. I have a normal to wide feet and my size is usually 44 on most of my normal shoes and sneakers. While the Galibiers are OK in the winter with wool socks and tend to loosen up since new hence some movement in the shoe, the Zxelliums are super stiff and wouldn't flex a bit, even after 3 years. Really good power transfer by the way! I find them (Zxelliums) sometimes to squash my feet at the widest point, so I have to loosen up the ratchets for some comfort. The length seems to be true to size in the Mavics, but they're indeed on the narrow side.

I am in the process of purchasing Giro Empre SLX right now. I tried 43.5 which is small. 44 is just about right but still needs a bit extra space, so I am waiting for the right colour to become available and I'll go for size 44.5.