Deda Superleggera 2015 bars; still lame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Alright.

I cracked my original Deda Superleggera bars, by riding them. No crashing, etc. They cracked where they were clamped by the stem. The stem was the Superleggera matching one from Deda.

I absolutely did not exceed the torque limit and used a digital wrench to set the tension.

Deda replaced these on warranty.

I got the new version in return, and set them up. I also got a refund on the stem, from Deda.

The new stem I got is an Extralite HyperStem 0-6.

All good so far.

I put the stem on and fixed the bars in place. The HyperStem has a 3nm limit on all bolts. I tighten the bolts very slowly and consistently, until the bars stopped moving when I lent on them. Checked the torque; under 3nm.

Decided to put in some Loctite thread lock on the bolts today, as a precaution, as the stem bolts came dry. Unscrewed the front plates and took them off.

The *f##k* bars have depressions in them where the front plates clamp, just like the old ones did which led to cracking, UNDER 3 NEWTON METERS!!!

Total rubbish. I was extremely careful here, and definitely way more careful than I have seen anyone else working on their bike.

Seriously, this is really really poor from Deda.

Anyone else had this issue?

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I have Deda Superleggera bars on my two Parlee Z5 SLi's. I haven't noticed any cracking but will check. I bought the second bike this summer and have had the bars on it since July. I preferred them over the Enve bars that I had on my first Z5 so replaced the Enve bar with Deda a month ago. I'm using a 3T ARX II Team stem (aluminum).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lannes

by lannes

it may not be the deda's, have heard of the extralite stem cracking steerers

jpanspac

by jpanspac

hueyhoolihan wrote:commiserating here...

i stay away from phil, paul, deda, enve, zipp, and tune. odd that they are all four letter words. :lol:

I would add Chris King to that list.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

OK I checked one of my bikes (the other is in the shop). No cracking on the bars but there is a little bite into the carbon from the stem clamp. Something that I will keep an eye on.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have been riding and racing mine for 2 years and no issues. Put around 6000 miles on them. I don't know the exact cause of your problem but I have mine torqued up to 4Nm and there are no depression. using the matching stem as well.

Before you go blaming the parts are you sure you torque wrench is precise i.e 3Nm is actually 3Nm and not some higher value.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Sorry to hear that! Not to bad mouth Extralite, but this is possibly the worst stem you could use with a soft handlebar.

This stem is too sharp for carbon. I have used it and i also used very low torque. I must say i am amazed we have not heard more about cracked or dented

bars and steerer tubes. I know far to well what you talk of. A greater area of clamping is needed.

The stress these tiny clamping sections will generate is simply bad for carbon. You should use something which is like Ritchey Superlogic C260 or Enve stem.

It is much more safe and friendly for carbon. I just think Deda and also LTD series 3T should never be used with Extralite. No light weight handlebar.

You should really check your steerer tube after using Extralite stem. I would not be amazed if it is damaged to.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I took the bike in to my mechanic to have a look at the "bite marks". He said it was nothing to worry about, that it was the clear coat scratched off up and not into the carbon. I'll be checking regularly.

L84AD8

by L84AD8

No experience with the deda bar, but I am using an Extralite Hyperstem and noticed the above mentioned "bite mark" on my carbon handlebar, FSA K-Force in my case.
The mark is relatively light, but it's there, I think it has more to do with the shape of the stem (the stem opening diameter seems just a tad smaller than the that of the bar), rather than the relatively little 3Nm torque.
Like everyone else, I will keep an eye on things and hopefully nothing happens..

markyboy

by markyboy

Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Bogan

by Bogan

I am wary of Extralite parts. Their tolerances with regards to dimensions are not the best in my opinion. I have had a few different bits from them and have had difficulty fitting the parts.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

mythical

by mythical

I don't understand. Isn't the pantomime part of the thought behind these parts and why riders buy them? And all the stories that we wouldn't have without it. I think these brands typically have this Italian charm. Why not embrace it?

Ok, so my remarks are a bit tongue-in-cheek but these brands do make for some interesting conversation.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

To clarify,

I had this exact same issue on the previous set of Deda Superleggera bars, which cracked and were warranted. The stem I was using with the previous bars was the Deda Superleggera stem, so it should have been a perfect match. The clamping section is very similar with both of these stems, with the Extralite actually being kinder to the carbon, as the clamping area is wider, meaning there is slightly less leverage applied to the clamping area.

This is an issue with Deda making lame carbon bars that can't handle the torque required to prevent them slipping.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com