Brake squealing - actually damaging?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

Just got a new set of Fulcrum Quattro carbon clinchers. Great wheels. The brakes are setup properly but there's a squeal coming from them every time I brake. It's not annoying, it's kind of a cool sound like a airplane engine winding up.

Is this actually damaging to the rim or brake pads in any way? Googled this for half and hour and didn't really come up with an answer. Seems toe-ing in the brake pads will get rid of it, but if it's not really affecting anything, I can live with it (and kind of enjoying it too).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jamesbass

by jamesbass

I'd also like a solid answer on this too. Sometimes my squealing isn't "cool" sounding, it's just an annoying deafening screech. Definitely gets the attention of everyone.

In theory, sound and heat energy are what you get from converted kinetic energy. My gut instinct says that the heat output would be identical to properly set-up brakes, but the sound is extra energy transfer from an inefficient setup. So probably equal damage.

That's assuming no actual scratching is taking place from debris on the pads/rim.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The red campy pads on my Boras have a nice, almost whistling sound upon braking (perhaps like the airplane sound you're talking about). I have them toed in about 0.75mm. No screeching, which is NOT to be confused with the nice normal whistling sound. If you're getting the attention of everyone with screeching, keep adjusting them till there isn't any. I started with using 0.25mm pieces of plastic (from a headset shim) as a gauge for adjusting toe-in. I would try it and kept increasing the toe-in by 0.25mm at a time till the screeching was eliminated. Now I know what that toe-in looks like and don't use the spacers to adjust. I only used them to sort of find the minimum toe-in that worked for my setup and weight.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

eric

by eric

I don't think that squeal damages the rim. But I feel like it's somewhat less effective braking. Perhaps the vibrating brake does not grip the rim as hard. And it's annoying.

Whirring, which some carbon rims do, doesn't bother me. Loud screeches do.

rmerka

by rmerka

Only the sound of angry pachyderm should give cause for alarm. If that's what your hearing clean your pads & tracks and check toe-in.

spookyload

by spookyload

rmerka wrote:Only the sound of angry pachyderm should give cause for alarm. If that's what your hearing clean your pads & tracks and check toe-in.

Tale the pads out and hit them lightly with a sand paper. I don't like doing them on the brakes when doing it personally as I want to make sure I do it level to the surface.

rms13

by rms13

I'm using black price pads with my carbon clinchers and no squeal I also have them toed in properly

superdx

by superdx

Calnago wrote:The red campy pads on my Boras have a nice, almost whistling sound upon braking (perhaps like the airplane sound you're talking about). I have them toed in about 0.75mm. No screeching, which is NOT to be confused with the nice normal whistling sound. If you're getting the attention of everyone with screeching, keep adjusting them till there isn't any. I started with using 0.25mm pieces of plastic (from a headset shim) as a gauge for adjusting toe-in. I would try it and kept increasing the toe-in by 0.25mm at a time till the screeching was eliminated. Now I know what that toe-in looks like and don't use the spacers to adjust. I only used them to sort of find the minimum toe-in that worked for my setup and weight.

This is exactly the sound, the brake pads are also red, guess Fulcrum and Campagnolo are the same. Will do a bit of toe in and see how it goes!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If you're hearing a high-pitched squeal, that's the pads vibrating against the wheel. You need to slightly to in the pad to eliminate this. At the same time, I would recommend that you hit the brake surface with a little rubbing alcohol on a non-abrasive pad. I usually use a cotton ball soaked in alcohol. You would be amazed at what comes off, even off a "clean" rim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5DII

by 5DII

How do carbon brake pads (like the red campy ones) differ in composition from regular pads for aluminum rims?

superdx

by superdx

Did a toe-in adjustment on the rear wheel only and went for a 40km loop. Pretty significant difference in noise, the cool airplane whirring noise is still there but less noticeable. In comparison, hard braking on the front wheel made the noise pretty unbearable and there was vibration in the brakes as well. Will toe-in those tomorrow, looks like problem solved. Great help in this thread, thank you!

aaric

by aaric

5DII wrote:How do carbon brake pads (like the red campy ones) differ in composition from regular pads for aluminum rims?

:roll:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+do+carbon+brake+pads+(like+the+red+campy+ones)+differ+in+composition+from+regular+pads+for+aluminum+rims%3F

5DII

by 5DII

aaric wrote:
5DII wrote:How do carbon brake pads (like the red campy ones) differ in composition from regular pads for aluminum rims?

:roll:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+do+carbon+brake+pads+(like+the+red+campy+ones)+differ+in+composition+from+regular+pads+for+aluminum+rims%3F

I already tried googling it, multiple times with different key words and could not find the answer. That's why I posted the question here. Did you click on your link? It would be helpful if you had an answer or provided a link with the answer instead of rolling your eyes and providing an unhelpful link.

aaric

by aaric

Read the first thread linked on weightweenies. There are multiple posts about warranty, and heat concerns in that thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rms13

by rms13

They are made from different materials that are not as grabby, don't squeel and dont produce as much heat which is something that causes rim and tube failure with carbon clinchers