Brake squealing - actually damaging?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Brake squealing is definitely damaging. It damages my club mates' chill and to a lesser extent my own. My squeal noise is very loud and causes significant concern for anyone behind me.
I'm using Reynolds Cryo Blue pads on basalt brake tracks. Toeing in the pads and cleaning the blue residue from the brake tracks helps for 1 to 2 rides, give or take on 200km total, then it's back to squealing.
Granted it doesn't take very long to adjust my brake pads but I invariably am short of time before rides which is when I normally think of it.
To clean the brake track I've been using a green scouring pad and isopropyl alcohol. Occasionally I'll take a plastic putty knife to the really baked on blue streaks. Is there anything better for that? Actually I just thought of something; I've got a rubber block for removing rust from my ski edges. It is a lot like a rubber pencil eraser. I wonder of that would work.
Any suggestions about getting rid of the squeal?
D

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've been meaning to get to this, and this thread prompted me. The best method I've found to clean off residue from rims, is with a dremel on low speed and a buffing wheel such as this.

http://www.dremel.com/en-ca/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=403

It's made of nylon, so won't harm your rim. If you take your wheel, leave the skewers in and then position it horizontally on a Park Workbench with the skewer in one of the holes at the end of the bench, it will allow the wheel to turn freely. Then take your dremel, and on low speed with a light touch, hold the buffing wheel at an angle to the brake track. This will buff the track clean, and turn the wheel at the same time, so that in about 30 seconds, you've done the whole wheel. Since the wheel is constantly turning, you keep from staying on a spot too long. It doesn't remove any material, just dirt and brake debris. Leaves the track as new.
Works like a charm on aluminum tracks, can't see why not for carbon, (just ensure a light touch).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

goodboyr: what is low speed on your Dremel? Different Dremel tools have different ranges, mine is quite fast 2K-10K IIRC.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've got the cordless one. Probably about the same. Held at a 45 deg angle lightly against brake track and allow the wheel to spin.