Favorite inner tube, latex

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tomstr

by Tomstr

In response to Poulidor's topic, let's discuss latex inner tubes.

I've been running Michelin latex inners for some time now but it starts to annoy me that due to the regular pre-ride pressure check the valve starts to leak. Tiny holes in the seal between valve and tube form and aren't really repairable. Does anyone have the same issue or knows if the Vredestein's are more durable?

The weight and quality of the Michelin is what you'd expect. Apart from the valve issue (especially with new pumps) they are very worth the extra few €/$

@ Moderator team, if this topic or a similar one already exists please feel free to merge them. :)
Ride it like you stole it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Never had valve issues on Vredesteins.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

We also have had the best luck with Vredestein. Worst luck with Challenge. Vittoria/Michelin are in between.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

The only latex tubes I've had that were problematic were Challenge several years ago. The material degraded and distorted. On mostly Vittoria lately, with some Michelin and Vredestein. The 50g Vredesteins are so thin and seem to be fragile, so I saved them for special occasions. I also have some 9 year old Vredesteins that are thick and weigh over 100g that I use in TT wheels. Those are very durable.

Are you getting leaks in the valve itself, or down where it attaches to the tube? If the later I think that can be fixed with better technique.
formerly rruff...

Kukula

by Kukula

Vittoria latex tube user here. Paired with Veloflex 25. Never had any issues. Challenge latex is the worst from my experience

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

WMW wrote:The only latex tubes I've had that were problematic were Challenge several years ago. The material degraded and distorted. On mostly Vittoria lately, with some Michelin and Vredestein. The 50g Vredesteins are so thin and seem to be fragile, so I saved them for special occasions. I also have some 9 year old Vredesteins that are thick and weigh over 100g that I use in TT wheels. Those are very durable.

Are you getting leaks in the valve itself, or down where it attaches to the tube? If the later I think that can be fixed with better technique.

Yes, you have to disengage the pump head from the valve stem in one rapid downward motion. You can't work it back and forth to get it off. That will kill the tube.
Robert

Tomstr

by Tomstr

WMW wrote:Are you getting leaks in the valve itself, or down where it attaches to the tube? If the later I think that can be fixed with better technique.

The second, due to frequent pumping (no pun intended :-D) the valve gets a lot of movement from the pumphead which either is too narrow or the valve too thick.

Fixing the position of the valve would work. Running tyres with longer valves will also make it a bit easier as you can hold the valve while attaching the pump.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Screw-on pump head solves the issue.
Vreds, Vittoria and Challenge tubes here with no issues.

mimason

by mimason

OP, hopefully we are all pumping tires with the valve in the 12 O'clock position.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Vredestein all the way

Razor

by Razor

I've used Michelin, Challenge and Vredestein. For me, the Michelins did not feel as smooth as either Challenge or Vredestein and they were heavier. Challenges' were not very good, as others have pointed out, they are more fragile than the other two. Now I use only Vredestein but they are not without problems (mysterious holes appearing, turing brownish if left out of the tires for extended periods of time) but they do roll smoother than the other two. Latex tubes are very temperamental but make the ride so much smoother (and feel faster) than any butyl tube that I have used before.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Also found Challenge to be fragile and easy to pinch when mounting. No such issues with Michelin. The big drawback with Michelin tubes is the lack of removable cores. Snap one and the tube is done.

spookyload

by spookyload

Have Vred in all my wheels. Have a set of Vittoria that came out of a wheel set I sold. They were good too. Fairwheel is my spot for Vred tubes.

em3

by em3

A wiggling valve stem will not damage your tube (assuming you are talking about section where valve is attached to tube) even if you are ham fisting the install and removal of your pump chuck. What sort of rim tape are you using? If you are using plastic tape, make sure there are no sharp edges at the valve hole....a bit of very light sanding with emory cloth can remove any snags. Or you can even put a small strip of electrical tape over valve hole section (with hole cut on electrical tape) to make sure there is no snagging. Or better yet, just use Velox cloth rim tape. Also, make sure that there are no burrs on the rim's valve hole.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Smart point EM3, the current rim tape is standard (read; CHEAP) Shimano C35. I think I'm going to tape them up as that is usually the best and light solution.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com