Favorite inner tube, latex

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yahoojames97

by yahoojames97

Has anyone had any issues getting tube stretch? Particularly to the point where there is no way to remount a tire without first folding or bunching the tube inside the tire.

Or maybe someone has a technique that works to avoid pinching the tube once it's stretched.

Have been using the Vredestein Race latex tubes. They stretch out after about 3-4k miles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Jahoojames, usually a little less air in the tube when reinstalling does the trick.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

Has anyone tried the Bontrager XXX Latex? These are the only one available around my area...

synthesis

by synthesis

Top tip: use talcum powder in the tire to prevent the tube from turning and prevent pinch flats.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

exFictitiouZ wrote:Has anyone tried the Bontrager XXX Latex? These are the only one available around my area...

I just installed a pair along with new Vittoria 23 Clincher Open Corsa CX III Tires. The latex inner tubes hold air as one would expect, but the combo of these two products roll very nicely indeed. I talced both inner tubes and tires before installation.

Haven't had them out but a few times, and will ride them in the rain tomorrow, so we'll see how they hold up with the grit and whatnot that will be present out there.

Svetty

by Svetty

Sorry for slight grave dig but am still troubled a little about latex tubes (CBA to find the thread outlining my blow-out last year). I found this today which I hadn't read previously. More food for thought....

https://enve.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/artic ... her-Wheels

sawyer

by sawyer

@Svetty - the fact of ENVE stating their view clearly is significant, though the point being made, that there is great variability /inconsistency in latex tubes, is nothing new, and has been made many times on this forum.

It supports what myself and others have been saying for a long time tbh - that latex tubes in clincher wheels are dangerous.

That said, some people on this forum have used them successfully without incident for a long period, and possibly with great care the installation problems can be avoided, though obviously not any risk arising from the variable thickness of the latex.

I ride latex tubes ... safely ensconced in a tubular tyre :thumbup:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: