Integrated bar/stem combos

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I'm in the process of ordering an Argonaut frame, and I really like the clean look that an integrated bar/stem combo gives to the front of the bike. I'm looking for a bit of an aero gain, but mainly an increase in stiffness while also reducing road vibration if possible. From the reviews I've seen of the Pro & Ritchey bars both mention good vibration damping. I also need to be able to mount a Garmin on an out front mount.

Ideally I'd like to keep the total cost to around £300-350. Don't want to go over £350, I just don't think it's worth it at that point!

I've considered a few options so far:

Pro Stealth Evo

Ritchey WCS

FSA Plasma

All three seem to be about the same price from one online store or another.

I've also thought about a custom set from Berk Composites but it gets very very expensive by the time I have to buy the bars and stem and send them off.

Any feedback from owners or people with experience of them would be great.

Point

by Point

The main thing to bare in mind is, lack of adjustability on bar rotation. So providing you're already comfortable and know the correct stem length and bar width that you need, I'd say you're good to go. If you're not certain what you need, as you're buying a new frame perhaps you're not(?), you may or may not end up being comfortable as a result.

I see you haven't got the Cinelli Ram integrated bar, that's another I would recommend looking at. Though personally I'd go for the Pro Stealth Evo.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I know my geometry pretty much to the mm now, so a lack of adjustment really isn't an issue.

I'm going to have a look into what bars and stems are available that I could send to Berk as well, all the combos that I have found so far are quoting weights over 400g which seems very high. Even with an aluminium stem and bar I would expect below 380g. I'm not building the bike till April, so have the time to wait for good deals if they come up which might make that a more viable option.

spookyload

by spookyload

I had the Cinelli RAM also. It was very comfortable. For Garmin mount, you can use the Barfly version meant for integrated setups

shotgun

by shotgun

I've got the Giant Connect SLR one-piece, using an out front Garmin mount via raceware components. Real comfy and supposedly more aero. I'm planning to sand off the logos and design for a more stealth look. SRP in the US is $550, around GBP350
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

albertop07

by albertop07

Anyone using Ritchey WCS Integrated Bar/Stem?

Blitzenbuddy

by Blitzenbuddy

Yeh, I've got the Ritchey one piece. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

IMO custom is the way to go. Select any carbon bar & stem, take a pic of the angles as mounted, and send to a carbon fabricator to make them one piece.

Just one example here in the states (Aram fabbed up my 210g bar/stem combo):
http://predatorcycling.com/collections/ ... major-road

Prior to that I ran a FSA Plasma 380g combo.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

In my opinion if you are buying a bike that nice save the coin and go custom. I do custom integrations all the time and the level of stiffness is incredible compared to a standard clamp style. The weight is minimal in difference but you do end up saving a few grams usually. If you have any other questions on anything feel free to shoot me a pm.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

and the TREK combo ?
http://eliflap.it/

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Built an Argonaut with the Ritchey one-piece and it looked great.
VERY stiff though and not that light.
Generally the one-piece systems are more bling than functionality.

BlacksmithCycle.com

kgt

by kgt

CippoForLife wrote:Generally the one-piece systems are more bling than functionality.

+1

Grill

by Grill

I have the Ritchey Monocures and can't fault them. 355g for 42/100 and actually all carbon as opposed to the typical alu stem. Super stiff and really comfy. Seriously considering the new Solostreems for my English...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

225 grams for a fused AX Lightness stem and Schmolke TLO bar. Berk did the work..