Focus Bikes warranty problems!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Krull

by Krull

UncleJohn wrote:Hello everyone,

The geometry wont suite me, i got a bike fit and i suppose a 52cm frame like izalco and not for a 51cm like Cayo. There are a lot of differences between both models, so i would have to change stem, seatpost and it doesnt mean i will feel good on the bike. Besides that the frames are different in the chainstays, distance between axles (wheels) to make the cayo more stabel at highspeed but less nervous than izalco, the headtube angle is also different to make cayo more confortable, in the end of all this differences i just figured it out that everything what i enjoyed in my Izalco is gone :(

Hi,
i can absolutely understand, that one does not like the cayo aesthetically (i think its quite nice, but i prefer classical shape without to much sloping as well), but: are you shure, you looked in the right geometry-sheets? i found following sheets and see the major-difference in headtube-length (115 vs 130) and the cayo`s sloping-geometry.
other parameters seem to be nearly identical or very similar.
http://www.pedalpowerjsy.com/wp-content ... ometry.jpg
http://www.focus-bikes.com/de/de/bikes/ ... #chapter-3
focus generally has (at least here in germany) good reputation concerning service-issues, and i always found it easy to get them on the phone. but finally, your dealer is your trade partner and counterpart in your case.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Hello everyone,
I didnt get anymore answers from Focus, i called to my dealer and he told me he sent my email to Focus but it always take at least a day to get an answer! I hope tomorrow i will get the last word, one week without bikes makes me crazy :evil: i never heard anyone complaining about Focus service either but i've been emailing them already for 3 days and they seem like they dont care about this. The conversation with my dealer was a joke, i had to explain where are the differences of the frames and for him it was all about money, he compared my explaination to a frame colour complain, he said me if he would listen everyone that complain about the colour of the frame that comes from waranty he would get crazy!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would call them and ask to change frame. There is no idea to mail them again. This is always a risk when dealing with warranty. As a consumer there is no chance you can win by law as they have given you a frame of equal value. They could have repaired your previous frame instead of giving you a new one.

I think you should call them and say as you feel and also ask directly. How much do i have to pay inbetween to get Izalco instead of Cayo.

It seems you are going nowhere with email or discussing with your dealer.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Well i think all this time without a bike was pointless, all the time and money i spend too. When i ask the right questions to Focus they just say to talk with my dealer. Let's wait if i get any answer today like he said! No more Focus at my place...

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

If i have to spend more money to get a bike that i like, i will buy from a real brand this time.

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Hello again. :mrgreen:
Finally good news, my dealer just emailed me saying that Focus will send and Izalco Max 0.0 2014, in yellow! :twisted: :twisted:

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Ok good news. I would take that frame and sell it and run from Focus as fast as possible. Way too many other larger/better brands and bikes that won't run you in circles and would seemingly rather lose a customer and get bad PR/press than take care of a paying customer from a retailer/distributor which is how they run their business, like most.

Doesn't sit well and set a good tone with people.

I personally don't buy new framesets from a dealer ever. I get them either nearly new, or brand new off eBay for a fraction of the cost...and just take my chances in the very rare event, there is an issue ever with the frameset. I've owned 5 different framesets off eBay, never had a single issue with them. Cannondale, Scott Foil multiple diff versions etc.

Compared to an automobile, what really can go wrong with a bike frame/bike itself that can't be fixed often inside your garage with some simple tools? Besides you crash/or there is some major/unusual flaw, not much and I don't see the premium/markup and dealer as being valuable.

At the same time, I know they have their place for many people retailers/dealers, and that is how they make money and handle these issues and the distribution channel is setup. Manufacturers can't have a plant to retailer chain in place to handle all issues. They would all go bankrupt or wouldn't have nearly the spread/reach of brand and selling to the public.

Congrats on your dealer for working through the process though. Props for that. Buy a water bottle from them to show your appreciation. Or are they doing the new build for you as well as part of the warranty?

DanW

by DanW

Did Focus sort you out or the distributor?

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Dealer just send your e-mails translated to english to the same place as i sent. The thing is once i bought from a dealer Focus didnt want tell me nothing but to them, so all this process just take time. Run from Focus, yes, its easier to sell an Izalco Max than a Cayo and more expensive, like my dealer said "this is all about money". :beerchug:

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^Indeed!!!

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

DanW wrote:Did Focus sort you out or the distributor?

No. The distributor i don't know!

Krull

by Krull

hmmm i have to admit i am a little bit surprised: you get a frameset, which is much more valuable and much better than the one you reclaimed (its like cannondale super six 2013 being replaced by a super six evo himod) and still complaining about "Focus"?
it is a bit difficult for me to understand this.

AJS914

by AJS914

He has a legitimate complaint because they jerked him around for months. They should have done that in the first place without delay. The incremental cost to the manufacturer to provide a Cayo or a Izalco is very little.

Reading this story, I wonder if it is really the dealer's or the distributor's fault. The dealer should have pushed on the distributor hard from day one. It sounds like the dealer was a little lazy. Maybe the distributor takes the hit on warranty claims and thus tried to provide a lesser model?

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Krull wrote:hmmm i have to admit i am a little bit surprised: you get a frameset, which is much more valuable and much better than the one you reclaimed (its like cannondale super six 2013 being replaced by a super six evo himod) and still complaining about "Focus"?
it is a bit difficult for me to understand this.

Well, i apreciate that they finally understood me but i can not forget what i had to do for that! I dont want have to pass all of this again, so no, no more Focus for me! I've seen people get way better frames from warranty but never had problems cause the brand send another model to replace the old one! I really cant understand that, i didnt ask for six years warranty. So if more 3 years would pass and as aluminium have been improving they would send me an Alu frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krull

by Krull

hi,
first: i am really happy for you, that it worked out like that for you!
but: believing, the service of the "big" manufacturers always being so much better, might be a fault.
two latest examples, i just found, purely accidentally, (while surfing in net during my daily hometrainer session ;-) )

user sharkman waiting for more than two month for replacement of his cannondale caad 10:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=135922

german tour forum:
user pezzey is reclaiming his specialized roubaix, lets see how long it takes.
user mcwipf reports in this thread on pg 3, having waited 2 month for the replacement of his roubaix.
http://forum.tour-magazin.de/showthread ... e-Br%FCche

i dont know the detailed background of your history, but: i would keep the izalco max. i am using one since two years, finished a lot of marathons in the mountain-area in switzerland/italy and austria with it. i am absolutely happy with performance, handling and aesthetics.
you will probably make a minus when selling it and get something else form dealer, and you will give away a great frameset.
regards,