Focus Bikes warranty problems!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Hi again, i really understand you but all that differences you just said are exactly what i didnt like in the cayo and bought an Izalco, so i think is not fair to just send me another model of bike without asking me. Focus doesn't care about this, everytime i asked them why to send a different model they stop answering the emails and say to call to portuguese dealer. I'm just one client, even if i wont get the Izalco they know one of their bikes will be in the street and being seen, so they really dont care. Im trully sad about all of this and as soon as i get the frame (izalco or Cayo) i will change for a Cannondale and pay the difference. I wont give one more cent to brands like Focus!

DanW

by DanW

Every company wants their distributor to handle things. Thats why they have signed up a distributor! However if after lots of discussions you are still not happy then you have to take it up with Focus directly. Also it baffles me why in this day and age do people not phone and deal with it properly?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Just keep your cool and handle this professionally and it should work out. Worst case scenario is your take the Cayo and sell it and move to a different brand or as suggested pay the differential for the "upgrade". You may want to save your stress for something like 3rd world problems. good luck

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Because that call will cost money! If i would tell them i want to buy a bike or frame they would call in the right moment and i would get it next day...but its just a waranty thing so doesnt matter, i've waited more then 2months for the frame and now arrived and its another model. Focus and Portuguese just want to sell, they dont care if you are happy with your bike, i feel that in this situation.

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Mimason, i wont give even one more cent to Focus no matter how this will end! I bought a bike to ride and it's been over a week that i dont have it and i dont see any progress in this.

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Well i will leave here the best answer i got from Focus, besides all that one to talk with my dealer...

"You should not go after the name. The offered "Cayo" has the same if not better quality than the "Izalco".
Further more its been years of innovation between these models."

My english is that poor our this mean "accept it and suck it up"?

mattr

by mattr

It may simply be that the current Cayo is simply a tweaked version of the old Izalco. It's not unheard of.
Have you compared the actual geometries of the two frames (your old Izalco and current Cayo), rather than the two current versions.

It might simply be a matter of going from a 110/-6 stem to a 120/-17 plus a minor tweak of saddle position for example and you'll get the same position.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

My experience with this issue here in the United States is that the company will give you an equivalent (or better) frame to what you bought, but you may also request that they give you a credit to apply to another, superior, model. In my case, I was offered a replacement 5-series frame from Trek (either Madone or Domane). In their opinion, it didn't matter if the frame was produced in the US (my old bike) or Taiwan (the frames offered), as the models were equivalent.

In your case, they're offering you something they claim to be better than what you have. If the geometry doesn't suit you, that's another matter. They've satisfied the terms of their contractual warranty by offering you an equivalent. No manufacturer will stock old frames for warranty purposes, that just doesn't make economic sense. Further, they won't give you an extreme upgrade where they can satisfy the contract at a lower cost.

mimason

by mimason

They have the right to offer a full focus only repurchase credit for the 13 frame which is likely less than the cost of a new frame be it cayo or izalco and you will be out money anyway even in this transaction. My recommendation is to find middle ground or pound sand.

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Hello everyone,

The geometry wont suite me, i got a bike fit and i suppose a 52cm frame like izalco and not for a 51cm like Cayo. There are a lot of differences between both models, so i would have to change stem, seatpost and it doesnt mean i will feel good on the bike. Besides that the frames are different in the chainstays, distance between axles (wheels) to make the cayo more stabel at highspeed but less nervous than izalco, the headtube angle is also different to make cayo more confortable, in the end of all this differences i just figured it out that everything what i enjoyed in my Izalco is gone :(

mimason

by mimason

sorry bro. Hopefully you can show them your measurements and get some satisfaction.

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

What a nightmare... :(

Exar

by Exar

Sad to hear you're not getting what you want. Focus was great when I had a warranty situation, I'd definetly recommend them.
Chains to the right!

UncleJohn

by UncleJohn

Its not what i want, this is not about a colour issue! It like they can't see that even with 2 years of difference the frames are different? What kind of brand does this? What kind of people are working in Focus that they just cant understand that? They dont care about their costumers and thats all, i understand some people would accepte the Cayo but they have to understant that some people dont. I dont now what else to say or think about this, for me just look so stupid that i feel ashamed that i have explain this to them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

Just give them a call. I'm confident there must be some low cost option calling abroad like Skype or ask for a call back. Dealing as face to face as possible is the the best way to resolve this as it's easy to ignore emails. Be polite and be persistent and and I'm sure you'll get a good outcome