Next chain for my bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

TomColnago wrote:Thanks everyone for your input :D i think I'm going to stick with kmc but go for x11sl dlc but now i need to decide the colour.. blue or black :?:

For the money of 1 KMC dlc chain you can buy 2 Campa record chains. :wink:
Apparently you go for looks in first place. Budget and durability seems not to be your first concern.
Although there are offcourse a large number of exciting reviews on the internet for the KMC dlc, in Wiggle style: :D
Came in this morning, very nice box, mounted it on my bike and rode 20 miles. Boy what am I satisfied. 5 stars on Wiggle/Amazon/ Bitchsite

As far as i know the dlc coating is on the outside of the chain where the friction is on the inside of the chain mainly. So imo its not much more than marketing and some fancy colors. But have in mind when you pass on your bike, noone will notice your fancy colored chain . . . . But hey when your intention is to pimp your bike, you just need to go for that.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I've tried alot of chains in my time, and the KMC DLC is BS. The coating does absolutely nothing for friction or shifting performance. It's basically a x(10,11)SL with hardcoat on the sides. For that price we can get 3 uncoated ones.

FWIW, I run the YBN titanium chains on my "good" bikes, and love them for the durability. When my road bike gets 1K miles on one, then I transfer it to my mtb & put a new one on my road. When my mtb puts more miles on it, then I put it on my beater. Lasts alot longer than DLC thats for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

I would stay with whatever chain that the manufacture of your components used on the bike when it was new, in your case probably Campy. Aftermarket chains have not been proven to be any better, in fact in most cases they don't even last as long nor shift as well, but they have been proven to cost more.