new 2015 Chorus groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pricey

by pricey

Is there anyone out there using the new Chorus groupset? if so what is it like and how does it compare to other equal groupsets (like dura ace?).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

pricey wrote:how does it compare to other equal groupsets (like dura ace?).

lolwut?

highdraw

by highdraw

OP...the difference between groupsets is largely subjective.
I prefer Campy but many here will prefer Shimano or Sram.

Aside from slight gram weight difference...and minor cost differences for level, the biggest differences are:
1. Ergonomic
2. Shift method
3. Shift 'feel'...how pronounced the shift feels tactilely in your hands. Campy is more of a snap and Shimano more of a click for example.

They all shift wonderfully when set up properly.

To me, the biggest difference and honestly why I ride Campy is the feel of the shifters. I find Campy shifters not just a little more comfortable but much more comfortable. Btw, I don't ride with gloves unless its cold.
I also prefer the upshift thumb lever on the side versus either combo brake lever of Shimano or Sram double tap.

But this is all only personal preference and nothing more.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

^Campagnolo believes Chorus is its Dura Ace level groupset. At this point they may be right, at least in terms of price and weight.

pricey

by pricey

highdraw wrote:OP...the difference between groupsets is largely subjective.

Aside from slight gram weight difference...and minor cost differences for level, the biggest differences are:
1. Ergonomic
2. Shift method
3. Shift 'feel'...how pronounced the shift feels tactilely in your hands. Campy is more of a snap and Shimano more of a click for example.

To me, the biggest difference and honestly why I ride Campy is the feel of the shifters. I find Campy shifters not just a little more comfortable but much more comfortable. Btw, I don't ride with gloves unless its cold.
I also prefer the upshift thumb lever on the side versus either combo brake lever of Shimano or Sram double tap.

Thinking about getting a canyon so hoping that the gears will be fully setup on arrival. However how hard is it to get the gears setup so they work like dream....I am not a techy mechanic!

highdraw

by highdraw

pricey wrote:
highdraw wrote:OP...the difference between groupsets is largely subjective.

1. Ergonomic
2. Shift method

Thinking about getting a canyon so hoping that the gears will be fully setup on arrival. However how hard is it to get the gears setup so they work like dream....I am not a techy mechanic!

Just have your bike shop set it up. Not hard for those with experience.

TomColnago

by TomColnago

I'm riding the new 2015 record which is just more carbon than chorus and from moving from red & black centaur the shifting seems really positive and a firm click sound when you shift. If you do your own maintenance it will take a while to dial it in but it stays in adjustment. :thumbup:

mimason

by mimason

Pricey, they designed electronic groups for people like you. Set it up once and NEVER adjust it again.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Shimano seems to be the easiest brand to get help with, listening to dealers and shops around.

I think it pends on if you want a bike that shift great or belong to those convinced of Campa, Sram or Shimano?

Some are simply into groups as it was a religion. Some want a bike to shift great and easy to maintain.

For that reason from what i have been told Shimano often is the easiest.

If you don't fiddle with the tuning yourself, perhaps it's an idea to look into if the dealers around you work with Campa?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

corky

by corky

Campagnolo ain't rocket science for gawd's sake....

kgt

by kgt

Chorus is no doubt the sexiest group for the money. It works as nice as SR as well.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Well, I guess it depends on who you ask to. In many areas in Europe they will tell you the opposite: Campagnolo is easier to maintain as it requires less tuning once it's been set up in the beginning. Then cassettes and chains last longer, and cables are never an issue.

The only thing I can think of in which Campag needs more attention than SRAM and Shimano is the correct installation of the housing, especially into the Ergopowers. But that is something you only do once. I never renew the housing with Campagnolo, only the cables in case of a very bad winter.

benzebub

by benzebub

Been riding it for about 7 months, so far I think it's great.
shifting is quick and crisp, front shifting is really smooth and fast.

my other bike has ultegra 6700 which I also like, and shifts smooth as well (front shift is a bit heavier). I prefer the chorus because the shifters fit my hand better and I really love the multishifts. I also like the thumb lever a lot.
the difference between top end groupsets are just ergonomics, weight and aesthetics.
But I could be wrong

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I install all the higher end groupsets and if you roll price into the equation 2015 chorus is pretty much the best top tare mechanical groupset on the market (imo). It does every thing SR does but at a better price point and its slightly more durable. At the end of the day it comes down to what you like the look of and do you like the thumb shifters. Tuning wise once the cable stretch is gone it shouldn't require fiddling with its not rocket science :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

I used to ride Shimano Di2 and mechanical. Now I am on Campy Chorus 2015. Both Shimano and Campy shifts just great but there are big differences between ergonomics and shifting feel.

I have tried 105 Shimano yesterday and it shifts great but you cannot really feel if you have made enough movement with the lever to shift or you are already starting a second shift (when upshifting) - but that could be a good thing since it doesnt require so much force as Campy.

But for me the hoods of Campy are much better shaped and look more luxury. Also the higher force required to shift actually helps me to not jump 2 cogs when I needed just 1 cog. But this is all about the preference...