Frame vs gear choice and help on new bike please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pricey

by pricey

Hi,

Would really appreciate your views on what should be the number one priority when getting a new bike off the shelf built (rather than custon build). Should it be the frame first i.e the material and colour scheme that you really love and then choosing the best available gears in the range?

Also I have a dilemma in that I have almost decided on buying a Canyon Ultimate SL. I have always wanted di2 gears just because I want reliablilty as my other bike has 105 groupset. So it was gear preference first then I looked at the available frame range around that. But coming from a gloss frame I am not too sure about the Canyon matt frame's and (being slightly OCD) I need a frame that will remain clean and free from marked easily and look great in years to come - My specialized allez sport is 15 years old and still looks great!
Not sure that the matt frame will offer this, so I have now got my eyes on the Ulitmate SL team bike which is in movistar colours, looks amazing and is gloss. But this bike only come with chorus 11 (2015) mechanical gears and I am really worried that I am compromising on gears (di2 original preference) over the frame choice. I do however prefer the campag eurus wheels over mavic elite's (2016) that come with it.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2016/ultimate-cf-sl-9-0-team.html
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2016/ultimate-cf-sl-9-0-di2.html

I have read many reviews about both groupsets and I get the impression that the di2's come out top, although I am worried that this is slightly biased as the market is really pushing electronic gears. The Chorus is apparently a great groupset, it looks amazing and probably the best campg mech groupset for weight/performance/cost.

I am a keen cyclist (covering about 100miles per week) and out all year round but I do not compete/race. I plan to use my old bike (with 105's) as the winter bike and use the new one for better weather. I am thinking about entering some sportives this coming year or even heading off to a couple of cycle hols/training camps. Not too sure whether this should influence my final decision on gears?

Any ideas or help out there?

mimason

by mimason

Have you ever heard the expression opinions are like assholes? ...everybody's got one.

Budget is typically top of list followed by:
frame/fit
then I say wheels followed by drivetrain
but some say drivetrain then wheels.

In your case its the same frame but different paint and components.

I would go for the gloss bike with Di2 but WWs would say go matte and Chorus but it seems these are not in the options you provided.

It's your bike you decide. Good luck but electronic shifting is amazing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pricey

by pricey

mimason wrote:Have you ever heard the expression opinions are like assholes? ...everybody's got one.

Budget is typically top of list followed by:
frame/fit
then I say wheels followed by drivetrain
but some say drivetrain then wheels.

In your case its the same frame but different paint and components.

I would go for the gloss bike with Di2 but WWs would say go matte and Chorus but it seems these are not in the options you provided.

It's your bike you decide. Good luck but electronic shifting is amazing.

Cheers mimason, the options are matt frame with di2 or gloss frame (team) with chorus.

mimason

by mimason

Given the 2 I like the matte with Di2. You'll keep it clean and looking nice no worries.