Cold weather riding and shoes!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's getting cold and i am using overshoes.

I have contemplated beefed up shoes, but i am not sure if this is so much better than using the standard shoes and an overshoe?

I use Giro Factor (46½ and 47) and i have no clue on what brand is alike?

Mavic? Northwave?

Often use a bit longer shoes due to issues with toe box!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Check on eBay there are plenty of Lake CX145 winter high quality shoes in wide fit if you need a roomy toe box.

You won't feel the need of overshoes.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Lake-CX145-Winte ... NIM7YVsScA

Last edited by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

For Winter Riding I use Lake MX303's. They're far superior to shoe boots. The only negatives are they weigh a bit more, but honestly who rides their fastest in the winter anyway? I find the work great down to the low 20's. If the temperature drops below that its necessary to add chemical toe warmers. If you're really a Rule #9 guy then for the really cold days you need to get Wolvhammers
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

My Louis Garneau winter shoes were excellent through Toronto winters. They make a good quality product at a very reasonable price. Buy one size larger to fit thicker socks.

http://www.louisgarneau.com/ca-en/produ ... LING_SHOES
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

mattr

by mattr

Northwave here. No complaints.
Thick socks and they're good down to -15/-20

markyboy

by markyboy

gore softshell thermal windstopper overshoe for me
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

CBJ

by CBJ

When it gets really cold I do like I do on the rest of the body layers. Wool sock, Gore windstopper boot and then old neoprene boot on top of that. If that does not keep me warm I don't ride :-)

rideintospace

by rideintospace

I have had excellent luck with a similar setup to CBJ in temps as low as 10F: I wear a wool sock, toe warmer if absolutely necessary, regular cycling shoes and the gore thermo road shoe covers. The thermo cover is made of gore-tex and has some padding inside to slow the temperature transfer from the outside in.

mattr

by mattr

TBH, every year I end up looking at heated insoles for the wife, every year the weather turns good just as the shops start to have them in stock again!!

She uses the Northwave artic boots AND thick neoprene overshoes.........

JMT

by JMT

I have used Northwave Celcius Arctic GTX (or something like that) for a few years, my feet stay warm enough. The mtb variety.

If you have a lot of water running down your legs you want a variety that goes down far enough so that the water does not run into the shoe.

If you have a lot of ice and snow I'd actually consider flats and some shoe with a good grip for commuting, where you have to put down your feet alot.

CBJ

by CBJ

One thing that suck with my setup is the time it takes. It would be my faster just to be able to jump into a pair of nice winter riding boots.

rideintospace

by rideintospace

CBJ wrote:One thing that suck with my setup is the time it takes. It would be my faster just to be able to jump into a pair of nice winter riding boots.

If you skip on the neoprene overshoes and just pull on the gore thermal shoe covers, it will take no time at all. The thermal overshoes you just slide right in and velcro at the back. 15s per shoe max. They are excellent

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My two solutions come from north wave. 1) husky over shoes with normal shoes and defeat woolie boolies or 2) northwave artic shoes.

Either way my feet are warm.

jeffy

by jeffy

Merino Socks (sometimes waterproof socks w/merino liner), normal shoes, sealskins oversocks, neoprene booties .... seem to to the job unless it is really wet and really cold and i am out for 2+ hours.

Those Gore Thermo are tempting

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBJ

by CBJ

rideintospace wrote:
CBJ wrote:One thing that suck with my setup is the time it takes. It would be my faster just to be able to jump into a pair of nice winter riding boots.

If you skip on the neoprene overshoes and just pull on the gore thermal shoe covers, it will take no time at all. The thermal overshoes you just slide right in and velcro at the back. 15s per shoe max. They are excellent

The Gore I have is not the Thermal it's the Windstopper Overshoe Light.