Richard Bussell's Hill Climb Bike (Giant Track, <6kg)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jgadd

by jgadd

In the UK, Richard Bussell has just become the first person to win both the national 10 mile TT and the national hill climb championships in the same year.

A couple of weeks ago, I got hold of the hill climb bike he has been using this season:

https://rideupgrades.wordpress.com/2015/10/17/richard-bussell-hill-climb-bike/
rideupgrades.co.uk

Twitter: @rideupgrades for the site, @gaddjames for the personal stuff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Is <6kg just a guess, or is the actual weight known?

jgadd

by jgadd

Weight should be somewhere between 5.3 and 5.5kg!
rideupgrades.co.uk

Twitter: @rideupgrades for the site, @gaddjames for the personal stuff.

rms13

by rms13

The frame weighs twice as much as some ultralight road frames. I would opt for a super light geared bike for climbing. This seems like novelty

sharkman

by sharkman

Maybe Richard was looking for a mix of stiffnes (trackbikes usually are stiff) and weight. Saving weight on a frameset means nothing if it is too flexy.

euan

by euan

Or more likely he is wanting a bike that can be easily used for fixed gears compared to a road bike.

Its not a novelty when its preferable.

Marin

by Marin

Hmm strange choices, but if it works for him...

My 2x11 road bike weighs 5.9 kg, but it has 2 working brakes, tires with actual puncture protection, a padded saddle and proper bars, and the Chinese carbon frame is plenty stiff too.

Still, a cool bike, and it shows that weight isn't everything.

jamesbass

by jamesbass

I was there on the hill today watching. I think weight savings would have made more of a difference than a flexy frame. This looks to have been done on a budget though. I know his TT bike cost hardly anything and he won the 10 mile championship on it.

I weighed a few bikes at the HQ and there were some fully geared bikes WW would be proud of. Lots of holes drilled though, rather than expensive components.

rms13

by rms13

euan wrote:Or more likely he is wanting a bike that can be easily used for fixed gears compared to a road bike.

What?

euan

by euan

rms13 wrote:
euan wrote:Or more likely he is wanting a bike that can be easily used for fixed gears compared to a road bike.

What?

Context. Bussell's isn't a sponsored rider. He competes on the cheapest suitable equipment he can get, often second hand. This is the same philosophy he used to win the National 10 Mile title. What is a cheaper light bike bike to build, fixed gear or road bike? Where are you getting a cheap 130mm fixed gear hub?

The bike isn't a novelty when its the preferable choice. Which on some hillclimb courses a fixed gear bike will be over a geared one. A couple of years ago the fastest bike on the National Hillclimb course was a full on timetrial bike

de zwarten

by de zwarten

I think most, if not al of the choices made, make sense.

It's light, cheap, reliable.

On a 1 mile climb, the saddle and brakes are hardly used. The pedals and toe clips are definitely giving more support when out of the saddle, combined with the fixed gear.

A fixed gear hub delivers a stiffer wheel, and the cup+cone bearings offer better stability when out of the saddle, and the overal friction will be very low and potentially always lower than a geared setup (with chain friction / hub bearing friction).

About the tires: they are perfectly suitable for 1-2K efforts on smooth asphalt hill climbs.

The only thing I would change is a bit higher rims: more aero and it doesn't necessarily add a lot of weight.

I like this kind of cheap stuff that obviously works and put expensive bikes a bit in perspective.

DanW

by DanW

Really great pics and descriptions.

I like this kind of cheap stuff that obviously works and put expensive bikes a bit in perspective.

The build makes complete sense to me too. It looks like Richard is the kind of guy who worries about the riding and letting his legs do the talking rather than having a pretty bike

JamieL

by JamieL

There's a lot of torque starting a hillclimb on a fixed gear, more than on the track because of the smaller gear. I found that things can quite easily go wrong using fully weightweenie parts.
I was on gears yesterday but Richard's performance makes we wonder if fixed might have been a bit quicker...

Broady

by Broady

The frame stiffness will be negated by those garbage wheels, I briefly had a set and alongside the crazy flex I had a few spokes in each pull through the rim.

Saying that, I was there at the weekend and it certainly wasn't slowing him down! Do the job for a hill climb I guess.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

If this is a national race isn't it governed by the UCI? No minimum weight requirement?