Richard Bussell's Hill Climb Bike (Giant Track, <6kg)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cookiemonster

by cookiemonster

The national hill climb championship in the UK is governed by the CTT (cycling time trials) who arent UCI affiliated.

ergott

by ergott

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Exar

by Exar

Broady wrote:The frame stiffness will be negated by those garbage wheels, I briefly had a set and alongside the crazy flex I had a few spokes in each pull through the rim.

Saying that, I was there at the weekend and it certainly wasn't slowing him down! Do the job for a hill climb I guess.

I have those rims in a cyclocross wheelset and they hold up really well (4 seasons and counting). They are 28 spoke F/R, however.
Chains to the right!

mattr

by mattr

jamesbass wrote:I know his TT bike cost hardly anything and he won the 10 mile championship on it.
IIRC it was a sub £1000 spend mixed with second hand kit, kit that was lying around, basically "spare stuff".

To put it into perspective second and third placed riders in the 10 mile TT were probably riding £6000 bikes.

Wouldn't be surprised if its exactly the same story for the Hillclimb.

JamieL

by JamieL

Fourth place bike...

Mostly built up of odds and ends from the garage or bought second hand on here :-) 5.1kg

Frame - Planet x Nanolight
Fork - Planet x, paint stripped (saved about 30g...)
SRAM RED rear derailleur, shifters (LH lever internals taken out)
FRM stem found in the garage
3T rotundo bars from weightweenies
Front wheel - Lew rim (cracked but sort of homemade repair so relegated to hill climb bike) with tune mig70 hub
Rear wheel - planet x 20mm rim, planet x hub
SRAM red cassette (tried a recon but didn't shift well enough in anger)
Tufo 115g front tub, 125g rear tub
Planet x brakes
Rotor 3D24 cranks with P2M (Just for interest really, should have used my Zipp Vumaquad)
Keywin pedals
Saddle, seatpost combo from dino0204 on here. 147g

No real big bucks this year. Looking for a lighter frame for next time, Scott addict or Supersix maybe...

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Here's another one under 5kg with Dura Ace and other "standard" components
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... nref=story

xav

by xav

mattr wrote:
jamesbass wrote:I know his TT bike cost hardly anything and he won the 10 mile championship on it.
IIRC it was a sub £1000 spend mixed with second hand kit, kit that was lying around, basically "spare stuff".

To put it into perspective second and third placed riders in the 10 mile TT were probably riding £6000 bikes.

Wouldn't be surprised if its exactly the same story for the Hillclimb.

I mostly built both bikes and selected the kit, there was a bit more to it than just what we had lying around :wink:

The HC bike has heavy parts on it, the obvious ones being the chain and the pedals. We tried using lighter components but ditched them in favour of a 1/8" chain (helpful as we didn't have a full range of 3/32" sprockets, some were 1/8") and the security of the 105 pedals + straps. We tested out some DA pedals with the tension rammed right up but Rich didn't prefer them. The frame was chosen for stiffness, when you're laying down big numbers you do need it and the Giant frame is a good one.

Wheels the same thing - the front wheel in particular we had the option to go lighter but it would have been a bit too flexy so kept it stock with a relatively heavy hub and spokes. Back wheel Rich rebuilt with Lasers and a standard Novatec hub again for stiffness.

Xavier

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

xav wrote:Wheels the same thing - the front wheel in particular we had the option to go lighter but it would have been a bit too flexy so kept it stock with a relatively heavy hub and spokes. Back wheel Rich rebuilt with Lasers and a standard Novatec hub again for stiffness.

But the rims are far from stiff, and this will have a large effect on the stiffness of the wheel. Lasers are one of the least stiff spokes also, and it looks like only 24 of them in the back. You can gain a lot of lateral stiffness with a fixed gear hub vs geared though, because of the greater DS offset, and less axle cantilever.

Did you do any testing of tires? The ones he used are certainly light, but I wonder if others might have had less resistance.
formerly rruff...

xav

by xav

Yes we did do Crr testing on the tyres. The rim/hub/spoke combos weren't too bad actually.

euan

by euan

jamesbass wrote:Here's another one under 5kg with Dura Ace and other "standard" components
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... nref=story

Would be interesting to know how the £/g compares ;)