Bottlecages + bolts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

I just weighted my simple/standard aluminium bottle cages and the corresponding bolts. They weigh 62gr/cage and 4gr/bolt so a total of 140gramms. This sounds relatively much, so I have a couple of questions.

- Assuming that my budget for new bottlecages/bolts is up to 100euro total and that I don't want to loose any functionality, how much weight savings should I expect? Specific recommendations are more than welcome.

- Are bottle cages coming with bolts? If yes, do advertised cage-weights include the bolt weight? If not, how much does a reasonable lightweight cage-bolt weight/cost, and what do you recommend?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinko

by martinko

I don't think there is need to spend 100euro on cages.
Get some simple plastic (or fiberglass) cages that weigh 30g and cost ~10euro each (even that is I think quite much for piece of plastic), and I think you are fine. :) For example, Pro Fiberglass with 32g/cage and tight grip (personal experience). Popular Elite Custom Race cages are heavier, at around 40g. But there are other cages made by Elite that might be lighter, check the interwebs :)

RyanH

by RyanH

Aluminium bolts are around 2.8g for 4 and Arundel Mandible are 28g each. Chances are they are both significantly lighter and significantly better than your current cages. The mandibles are hands down one of the best cages you can buy regardless of weight.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Thanks for the answers.

Pro fiberglass sounds like a good option for the price. The Mandibles sound even better, but I had a look around, and cannot find them for less than 160Euros (per pair/including shipment costs) and it is not even clear if they include bolts.... Any further suggestions? Also, RyanH from your bost I understand that bolt weights are usually not included in the advertised weight?

BRM

by BRM

Hard to say what is functional for you but if you want to try something cheap, go here >>
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... e&_sacat=0

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Ok was wrong about the price, could find the mandibel's for half of what I wrote, and already ordered them. I am not sure if they come with bolts - but I guess I will find out soon.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

If they are new they should come with bolts. If not, you need to find a pair of bolts that have a low stack height so they do not interfere with your bottles as you slide them in and out of the cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mythical

by mythical

Reminds me of this system where the bolts are the bottle cage: http://fabric.cc/shop/waterbottle/
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Philbar72

by Philbar72

amazing to think that 10 grams per bottle cage would make a difference to someone. I just run elite generic plastic ones. they just work fine.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

anyone try these offroad? Do they hold well? supposed to be 15g each...

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

I've got similar ones from ican (eBay) and they work great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mimason

by mimason

Arundel's come with bolts but you may want to source shorter and lighter ones down the road. As for the cages themselves imo they are among the best looking and best functioning around and at a respectable weight. You should have no bottle rocket launchings either.

Devon

by Devon

Wildcard, check out the new system from fabric.cc

EDIT: Already mentioned, oops!
Last edited by Devon on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haydn

by Haydn

mythical wrote:Reminds me of this system where the bolts are the bottle cage: http://fabric.cc/shop/waterbottle/

That looks really cool, I wonder how secure the bottle feels. Anyone actually used these?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

Mine haven't arrived yet (on pre-order as the black version isn't in the country yet) but I had a play with them at a the NEC last month, you really don't need to worry about bottle security; they're rock solid.

They're due in the next few weeks I think, if I remember I'll report back when they arrive.