Damaged fiber frame. Toss it fix it or (try to)sell it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rchemsley

by rchemsley

I recently bought another Felt AR1 frameset sight unseen to use as my backup. The Seller didn't disclose what looks to be a tiny crack and now I'm not sure what to do with the frame. Is it worth repairing? Would anyone buy it? Or should I just toss it? I've heard a lot about damaged CF frames being dangerous but I've also heard about reputable repair shops.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

I would buy damaged frames with reasonable price. I myself riding a repaired frame. Anyway, i think you should fix it using reputable shop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Feel free to shoot me a PM. I do carbon work including repair work. Cracks are usually easily fixable!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Unless you ate buying frame for near nothing, the time , shipping, and cost to send back plus painting will cost more than a used undamaged frame or close to a new frame on discount.

nutty

by nutty

any repair kit to recommend that can be DIY instead of shipping over the frame for repair ?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

You will need to do lots of research. There is no specific kit I lknow of. Epoxy, carbon fiber, vacuum, sandpaper. Consult with others as well.

rchemsley

by rchemsley

Yeah I didn't think this would be an easy do-it-yourself job, especially since it's Felt's Textreme carbon weave. I'll probably end up listing it on Slowtwitch. I just wasn't sure if it was worth anything because I've read a lot about carbon frames being past the point of no return once they're cracked. These articles were also a year or two old so maybe things have changed since then. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Broady

by Broady

Can't you send it back? If I bought a cracked frame it would be going straight back.

rchemsley

by rchemsley

I got it on Ebay but it was a mess trying to get my money back so now I'm just moving on. My thought was to either sell it or fix it and hope for the best. I got a deal on it so even if I don't sell it for much it wouldn't be a huge loss.

Marin

by Marin

You could also try to repair it yourself, you can buy ready-made kits and it doesn't look too hard to do.

rms13

by rms13

If you bought it on ebay and used PayPal you should have no problem getting your money back if the seller truly misrepresented the frame and didn't disclose damage. You just open a case against the seller.

too crusty

by too crusty

I might get backlash from this but I've been riding a cracked frame for several years now. Its substantial not just a hairline crack. No perceived change in frame characteristics and I'm a heavy guy. Mind you its in a less stressful area of the frame (top tube), but if anything is lacking in my bikes performance its me. Would I trust it going down a col in Europe -yes. Has part of my decision to ride a cracked frame based on cost -yes. Would I buy a cracked frame -depends....I have a friend who cracked his Dogma in two and got it repaired at a reputable place so I know exactly what, how and where it was fixed - so yes. Some guy I don't know from Adam off Ebay -hell no. Carbon can be repaired but I would make sure its done by someone who knows what they are doing. You also need factor in cost....what is the frame really do you? Do you plan to sell it? how old is the frame? These are all questions to ask before repairing. I'm all in with my frame and because of the crack I probably won't sell it because I won't get anywhere near a fair price but I'm ok with that. If I upgrade this will be relegated to my trainer. Your case is different since you just purchased the bike but hopefully I've shed some light to help you make a comfortable choice.
Good luck

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

if bought on ebay, ebay always supports the buyer, even if the seller was correct in my experience. you will get your money back if you file complaint on ebay. they take the money back from the seller via paypal.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

There is a diy kit sold in amazon for 99 usd. Search for predator cycling carbon repair. It also has detailed you tube instrution. I have not use the kit, but i used the company to fix my cracked chainstay supersix. Btw, i did ride the cracked frame for 6 months or so before i found out. Once i found out, the paranoid kicked in.

mattr

by mattr

Where are you based, there are lots of small CF repair places dotted around all over the place. Many are so busy with established contracts that they don't even bother advertising, someone might know someone (or something) local to you to get a quote/professional opinion. If you just want a decent but not polished and refined repair, with a coat of lacquer, it might only be 100 quid for complete peace of mind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com