Campagnolo 10 / 11 speed Compatability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Looking at using the following:

Centaur 10 speed shifters.
Centaur 12-30 10 speed cassette.
Athena 11 speed triple RD.

Will it work?

Currently Centaur shifters with SRAM WiFli RD and SRAM cassette and the ratio / shifting is a little off.

This is on a tandem with FSA 50/39/28 triple front.

Thanks

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Yes it will work. Despite rumors to the contrary, I have definitively shown that the actuation ratio of 10 and 11-speed RD's (not including 2015 Chorus and up), is identical, and has been since around 2000.

That 12-30 is a nice cassette, not sure still available though.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

It will work. The problem you had before was mixing different brands without a jtek shiftmate. Campy with Campy works

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I actually started when I built the bike with Centaur shifters, JTEK shiftmate, Shimano RD and Cassette.
I felt the shifting was inconsistent and didn't want an extra adapter (JTEK) in the path.
I had read that Campy shifters and SRAM RD are somewhat compatible and the WiFli RD was perfect for the cassettes I want to use.
It does work but its a compromise and not perfect, so now wanting to have everything one brand.
I could just change my right shift lever to SRAM Red or Force and keep my SRAM RD and cassette, that would be a whole lot cheaper than converting my rear wheel to Campy and buying a Campy RD and cassette and I would be limited to a 12-30 cassette.
The only question is would I be happy going from Campy to SRAM shifting? I am willing to give it a try.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There is another alternative, whose practicality depends on your rear hub type.

Go 11-speed.

This way you can stay with Shimano for the cassette, and go up to 32. Use Athena shifter and RD.

Some hubs, like Mavic are already ready for 11. Some just require a freehub swap. And some are difficult/impossible.

One.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

bikerjulio wrote:There is another alternative, whose practicality depends on your rear hub type.

Go 11-speed.

This way you can stay with Shimano for the cassette, and go up to 32. Use Athena shifter and RD.

Some hubs, like Mavic are already ready for 11. Some just require a freehub swap. And some are difficult/impossible.

Yeah that is another option I am looking at.
The hub is a White Industries Mi6, they told me it might be able to be converted to 11 speed but that the disc rotor would move to the wrong place.
I bought the hub thinking I might want a disc brake on the back but never installed and don't plan to so moving the rotor mount doesn't matter.
The other issue is I would be changing the cassette from 12-32 to 11-32 so I would be gaining the 11T which we would rarely use. I would rather have a 12-32 11 speed and gain a 16T but nobody makes one, Campy makes a 12-29 which would be nice if I could give up the 32. So there would be minimal advantage in gearing going to 11 speed. The cost is still going to more than just changing the right shifter since I will to pay for hub conversion (presumably a new freehub), cassette, RD, shifters compared to just changing the right shifter which I can get a SRAM Red shifter for about $190.

I have not gotten a price from WI on the hub conversion but reading an old thread it looks like $200. I figure its going to cost $575 to do the 11 speed conversion so much more than just changing to a SRAM shifter.

RussellS

by RussellS

No comments on your conversion questions. But if you are considering just changing the right/rear shifter to SRAM, make sure you go for an all day test ride on a SRAM bike first. SRAM is very different than Campagnolo or Shimano shifters. I switch between Campagnolo and Shimano shifter bikes all the time with no troubles.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

RussellS wrote:No comments on your conversion questions. But if you are considering just changing the right/rear shifter to SRAM, make sure you go for an all day test ride on a SRAM bike first. SRAM is very different than Campagnolo or Shimano shifters. I switch between Campagnolo and Shimano shifter bikes all the time with no troubles.

I am afraid that won't be possible as I don't know anyone who has SRAM on their bike and I don't really want to go test riding bikes at a shop under false pretenses and I don't think a short test ride will tell me what I want to know. From what I read there are a lot of positive reviews on the latest SRAM Red shifters and I think they are more like Campy than Shimano is. So I am just going to pull the trigger knowing there will be a learning curve. If it doesn't work out which I don't expect will happen I can sell them to recoup some of the cost.

alistaird

by alistaird

Sorry to piggy back on another OPs topic but I've similar questions. I'm building up a Colnago E1 from 2005 and want to put Campy Record Titanium 10 Speed on it (pre Ultra Torque.)

1. I'm struggling to find a good condition FD so wondered if I could use a more modern 11 speed FD without problems?
2. Do I have to worry about Shifter compatibility or will any 10S Record shifters work?
3 Would a Triple FD work with a Compact Chainset?

I may have some more :-)

Thanks for your help.

A

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Well, here is my data point. I got a Merckx Race frame with 2005 Record and a SRM Pro crank I recently built up. Needed a 35mm clamp on FD so I looked around the Bay and saw some NIB Athena FD's for low cost and had the silver finish I wanted. Did a little research and most of what I read said it was not recommended for my 10sp setup. Well, this just makes me want to do try it even more! So I did, and it works great. I actually think the 11sp FDs have more intricate and better shaping of the inner cage plate than the 10sp units do. Sure it's a little thinner and you need to be careful with setup but you should be doing that anyway. I have it setup where full throw handles outside half of cassette chain line and one click down handles the other half (I don't cross chain big-big ever). So, long story short I say go for it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Here I'd the bike for reference. Image

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm struggling to find a good condition FD

None on ebay?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

alistaird wrote:Sorry to piggy back on another OPs topic but I've similar questions. I'm building up a Colnago E1 from 2005 and want to put Campy Record Titanium 10 Speed on it (pre Ultra Torque.)

1. I'm struggling to find a good condition FD so wondered if I could use a more modern 11 speed FD without problems?
2. Do I have to worry about Shifter compatibility or will any 10S Record shifters work?
3 Would a Triple FD work with a Compact Chainset?

I may have some more :-)

Thanks for your help.

A

All 10-speed is compatible.

So just get a current Veloce FD.

One.

alistaird

by alistaird

TwiggyTN wrote:Well, here is my data point. I got a Merckx Race frame with 2005 Record and a SRM Pro crank I recently built up. Needed a 35mm clamp on FD so I looked around the Bay and saw some NIB Athena FD's for low cost and had the silver finish I wanted. Did a little research and most of what I read said it was not recommended for my 10sp setup. Well, this just makes me want to do try it even more! So I did, and it works great. I actually think the 11sp FDs have more intricate and better shaping of the inner cage plate than the 10sp units do. Sure it's a little thinner and you need to be careful with setup but you should be doing that anyway. I have it setup where full throw handles outside half of cassette chain line and one click down handles the other half (I don't cross chain big-big ever). So, long story short I say go for it.

Thanks, great information.

A

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alistaird

by alistaird

AJS914 wrote:
I'm struggling to find a good condition FD

None on ebay?

I need braze on and there are not that many in the UK on eBay that I've seen at a good price/condition. I may just have to keep looking and be patient.

A