lightweight bar tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

is Lizard skins bar tape the lightest overall? i've searched through many old threads and this seems to keep popping up.

just picked up a Zipp SL bar, to replace my Kestral EMS Pro that cracked. Had some Forte Carbon looking bar tape on there, but would like to see if there's something else lighter to use?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

No it is average weight. There is lighter like deda carbon look tape or the old bike ribbon. Lighter is tennis grip tape. However lizard skins I like best because has good grip and easy to clean. Weight is repectable. You can even rip off the cushion to make lighter and still keep the grip

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks Mike!

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Deda Traforato is the lightest I have come across @29 grams. Have to be careful when installing as it can and will tear :cry:

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

Nelus

by Nelus

I don't know how light it is. I think average. First I had Lizard skins 2.5, swapped them for Supacaz super sticky kush. I liked the Lizard skins but even more liked the Supacaz. I think the grip and feeling is better espacially in the wet. I always ride without gloves. So the weight I save on, not wearing gloves are probably added by the tape. The plugs that come with it are a nice finish but for ww you might want to replace them.
Everything is all right in the end, so if everything is not allright it's not the end

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Nice suggestion. I alwaays wear Gloves in case I crash I have something to protect my hands.

Nelus

by Nelus

I don't ride that much in a group. An till now (20 years) 1 little crash. I mostly drive allone here in the flatlands.The polders behind the dikes. Not many other road users on them. And in the flat I don't get suprised easely ( by saying this I'm asking for a crash). I've tryed a lot of gloves but they all had the effect of numbness in my hands. So I stopped an really liked the feeling of it. In the winter I do use gloves but they are without padding.
Everything is all right in the end, so if everything is not allright it's not the end

mrgray

by mrgray

i found a thread on here once which pushed me toward Tesa tape. they make a product called 'Black PET Electrical Insulation Tape" It is 15 mm wide and it is like a cloth so it is absorbent and not slippery. Anyway a full wrap of this is 10 g or so. I like it and don't notice any difference with comfort on carbon bars at least.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

kgt

by kgt

Deda is light and looks great.

Timujin

by Timujin

Going against the spirit of WW in this department, I use lizard skin dsp for comfort....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beatle

by beatle

I actually don't like lizard skins. It felt great to me at first: quite sticky which is what I was looking for to use the invisible aerobar position (IAB). But when i sweat even a little, and I am not a sweaty person, the tape is no longer sticky. I am about to switch back to Cdale stock Evo tape. It is more of a rubbery compound compared to lizard skins and using it in the past in the IAB position worked.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Isn't the thinner Fizik tape very light? I don't like padding so that is my go-to tape. The microtex stuff is super durable and it NEVER gets dirty. Not a question of easy to clean. It NEVER gets dirty. The thicker version is still light, but I like the thinner one. Hard to install in that it doesn't stretch much. You really have to yank on it. But that's okay because, it won't break.
Robert

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

thprice

by thprice

beanbiken wrote:Deda Traforato is the lightest ...
+1

hongsj

by hongsj

Fizik softtouch?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com