Wireless Hydraulic Braking Systems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wireless Hydraulic Brakes Yeah or Nay?

Yes- Wireless is the future
27%
No- Would not trust it
73%

Total votes: 45

spookyload

by spookyload

The monstrosity pictured above does show one innovation I like. They bypassed the brake lever. Instead used a grip that you squeeze to actuate. That sounds hokey to me, but it is thinking outside the box. How about a grip you twist (like gripshift)? For a MTB, that might work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Poulidor

by Poulidor

I'm no Luddite. I have had a life long admiration and appreciation of mechanical watches and have even made a pretty penny buying and selling high-end mechanical watches. I have loved bicycles all my life, always. Cycling has always been my favorite sport, albeit not my only sport. The modern mechanical watch (and movement) has hardly changed at all for the past seventy years. The road bicycle, the racing road bicycle as we now know it hasn't changed in any significant way for at least fifty years. Derailleur controls have gone from the down tube to the brake levers. Clip pedals. Stems now attach to the steerer tube. Weight has been lowered with the event of lighter alloys of aluminum, carbon fiber and titanium. Eleven cogs on the rear instead of five. But Fausto Coppi would hardly be surprised with any of the bicycles on the past Giro. Well, he probably would move away from a "twisted" Pinarello, and he would certainly need a new pair of shoes, but not much more.

Now, in the seventies the watch industry took an important turn with the invention of the quartz movement. A Casio keeps time but it hardly resembles a Rolex. Both are watches, and the quartz watch might be more accurate than the Rolex. But they live parallel lives.

Now we are talking about wireless brakes for bicycles. Electricity to switch gears. Bicycle frames being printed. These are significant changes. Like is the case with Casio, now we are talking batteries (solar, lithium, or whatever). From analog we are going digital.

I'm waiting for a new titanium frame (welded) for which I have an 80th Anniversary Super Record group to screw on it. And Campagnolo wheels with tubular tires for it. Presently I could afford a new electronic group for it. But I'm no longer a competitive cyclist, and I don't sell bicycles or bicycle parts so I don't need to advertise the latest contraption. All my bicycles function flawlessly, I love them all. I think I'll pass on the wireless brakes. However, I do have Polar computers on my bicycles. I guess we all live in a time capsule one way or another.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^ I get it. Good post.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ