C59 v C60?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Harmitc

by Harmitc

mnmasotto wrote:I really like the BSA BB on the C59. Not sure why Colnago could not leave well enough alone?

It's not BSA its Italian.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No, they went away from the Italian threads in 2008. English (BSA) since.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

My C59 feels so perfect that I couldn't imagine wanting stiffer.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Calnago wrote:No, they went away from the Italian threads in 2008. English (BSA) since.

Odd? I've got a very late C59 from the very end of production and its Italian. I built it myself.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Harmitc wrote:
Calnago wrote:No, they went away from the Italian threads in 2008. English (BSA) since.

Odd? I've got a very late C59 from the very end of production and its Italian. I built it myself.

I have a very early production C59 and it is definitely BSA.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

wilwil wrote:
mnmasotto wrote:I really like the BSA BB on the C59. Not sure why Colnago could not leave well enough alone?

fashion to make BB wider and they need to sell frames. If C60 is less comfy than C59 it must be pretty brutal. I find the C59 with Bora 35s clinchers seems to crash through everything. Cant use 25 mm tyres.

That's interesting. I have a few C59s - sloping and traditional - all of which I ride with Bora 35 tubulars, Ultra Two tubulars or Ultra 50 clinchers. The Ultra 35s have 25mm Vittoria tubs which fit no problem, but on the other wheels I'm still on 23mm tubs/tyres. The ride isn't remotely crashy on UK roads which for the most part are utter crap.

Jitensha

by Jitensha

I own the C59 and have been considering selling the frame and replacing it with a C60. But I started to wonder if the C59 is the end of an era with its traditional BSA bottom bracket? I'm starting to think the C59 is a keeper and noteworthy bookend in Colnago's history. I'm curious to hear some opinions about the C59 vs. C60 from the old school Colnago/Campagnolo aficionados-- is the C59 the last good Colnago or is the C60 the next step in a long tradition of flagship lugged frames?

3Pio

by 3Pio

wilwil wrote:

fashion to make BB wider and they need to sell frames. If C60 is less comfy than C59 it must be pretty brutal. I find the C59 with Bora 35s clinchers seems to crash through everything. Cant use 25 mm tyres.

Hmm.. I ride Colnago C60 for few months, many of this riding are gran fondo (130km-200km), and i was using 22mm in the front, 24mm on the back in first 2000 km of owning this bike, on Shamal Clinchers. I find the ride very stiff when it's needed (climbing), and very comfortable in same time (after riding 200 km, i feel fresh and not crushed). Since i had a chance to test ride Dogma F8 and Oltre XR2, for me the C60 is best ride i had ever chance to try.As i said, they somehow made it Comfortable and Stiff in same time..And never ever feel that the ride is brutal (on very bad roads here).

asc8ic

by asc8ic

How about Concept? It will come soon.

MJB

by MJB

I can attest to this, I purchased one of the last C50 framesets to be made (2010 model) - it came with BSA threaded BB and some very minor changes to previous years C50 models like a decal missing here / slightly different f/d hanger to prevcious C50 models ie) the 'new' hanger as used on as EP and EPS.

chiumomo

by chiumomo

asc8ic wrote:How about Concept? It will come soon.

I think there are better choice if you're looking for aero bike.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Having owned & ridden a master, a C50 & a C59 I thought I'd hanker after a C60 but I can honestly say that I don't. I'm not sure what I'd gain but I do know what'd I'd lose: threaded bb, sensibly oversized tubes, classic looks rather than 'me too' massive tubes. I might change my mind if I rode a C60 but just on looks alone I prefer my C59. It does everything I will ever need it to do. The limitations are within me, not the bike.

Paul
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

TimW

by TimW

chiumomo wrote:
asc8ic wrote:How about Concept? It will come soon.

I think there are better choice if you're looking for aero bike.

And to me it's not a real Colnago. i.e. not actually made in Italy like the C59 and C60.

Might as well consider any other Aero bike.

TimW

by TimW

tabmaster wrote:Having owned & ridden a master, a C50 & a C59 I thought I'd hanker after a C60 but I can honestly say that I don't. I'm not sure what I'd gain but I do know what'd I'd lose: threaded bb, sensibly oversized tubes, classic looks rather than 'me too' massive tubes. I might change my mind if I rode a C60 but just on looks alone I prefer my C59. It does everything I will ever need it to do. The limitations are within me, not the bike.

Paul

Feel the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com