Enlighten me, Colnago owners/fans

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

So, I've always wanted a Colnago. I guess its the romanticism surrounding them and ole' Ernesto, the little shop in Italy, etc etc etc.

I'm looking for a project to take on, similar to my "restomod" Pina Prince SL (to lazy to search for the link to the build thread) from a year ago. My question to you folks is, which model do I want, and why?

C40, C50, Extreme C, Extreme Power, EPS, even a C59(maybe too modern/expensive for a toe dip into Colnago?)? I know next to nothing about these bikes and their differences (a light glance on wikipedia is all) so I'd love some imput from folks who love, collect and ride these.

I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this but I really dislike the 1970's-esque, mystic, art deco paint and much prefer the more simple paint I've seen on the older models. Are certain models more or less likely to have the basic scheme or is it all model year dependent?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure a few of you will love this topic.

awjpca

by awjpca

Wish I had some knowledge to share. As it stands, I'm a little clueless with Colnagos, but know that it's a dream of mine to own one

Found your thread with the Pinarello, if anyone wants to see it. Nice job!

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=127748

Good luck on your decision and build!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You are right, when I get time to respond properly I will. I'll warn you, it may be lengthy. In the meantime, if you fit a size 59 (and Colnago sizing is a topic in itself) I would recommend you run right over to a post by @irongatsby I believe and snap up that C50 he has posted for sale. It's NL4 color scheme (I had a C40 in that scheme and like it a lot). Not sure if that scheme is up your alley, but if it is even close its worth a look.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Thanks awjpca, that build was fun but the frame was a bit too big. I jumped the gun and got antsy with the eBay auction. Got the frame and felt committed so I built it up and then made a trade with a taller friend.

@Calnago, I would LOVE your feedback specifically, and the lengthier the better. I actually bring this thread up specifically because of Irongatsby's for sale thread. I believe the 172-ish head tube would be much better than the Pina's ~200mm. That said, as far as stack goes on these frames, you'd take the HT length and add the headset "stack" to that to get a modern HT length, no? Meaning it would be more like a 180-ish mm? Make sense?

Look forward to more feedback.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, you would do exactly that to make an apples to apples comparison.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Thanks, seems like a size 59 in these older frames is the way to go for me, yielding somewhere around a 180ish effective HT length and a good TT length for me, allowing a slammed 120mm stem.

I'm getting excited....

Poulidor

by Poulidor

I share your interest and admiration for Colnago. I have a C40 and a C50. In full disclosure, though, I don't fit perfectly on either one but I love them to death just the same. If forced to decide, I'd take the C40 over the C50. I prefer what I feel is a stiffer, livelier ride. I also like the look of the thinner tubes better. If looking for either frame, I'd be concerned about its provenance. How old, how much it has been ridden, how it has been ridden... Or you might be lucky and find a new old stock frame. Maybe one of the distributors or larger Colnago dealers might have what you are looping for. In any case, good luck with your project. I'm sure it'll be fun.

AJS914

by AJS914

Having just built up a C59, I can say that it's the best bike I've ever ridden. And I've had a Calfee, two Times, a Parlee, a Litespeed, and a Guerciotti SLX back in the day to compare to. Actually, I'd say that my Time VXS was a close second. It's older technology and probably compares to a C40 or C50 but it had great handling though not the same lively ride of the C59 as it was designed as a Paris-Roubaix bike.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135225

This bike stands apart from all my other bikes with a couple interesting geometry features. The top tube is the shortest I've ever had but that allows me to run more drop and a longer stem. The head tube angle is the slackest of any bike I've ridden. I gather that all effects the front center and the center of balance in a positive way and gives me that magical Colnago ride.

All my other bikes were typically a "large" with a 57cm top tube and usually 73/73deg angles with minor variations. I keep wondering why so many builders stick to this formula when what Colango does what seems quite different and achieves great results.

I just had a chance to do 4000 feet of descending and the confidence inspired by the C59 was just incredible.
Attachments
diablo_top_oct2015 copy.jpg
Last edited by AJS914 on Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Fantastic, great feedback so far guys, thanks.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I have several road bikes I rotate through, two of which are Colnago. A C59 and a Master. Colnago geometry and ride is something special. You won't find a better bike to spend 6-7 hours on.

-Eddie

eurperg

by eurperg

SLCBrandon wrote:Thanks, seems like a size 59 in these older frames is the way to go for me, yielding somewhere around a 180ish effective HT length and a good TT length for me, allowing a slammed 120mm stem.

173mm HT of size 59 C50 or EP + 31,4mm stack height of Chris King NoThreadSet means 204,4 mm total head tube length.

Size 59 C59 and EPS have 185mm head tubes to compensate the lower stack height of internal headset. (Approximately 14mm stack height with lowest possible top cone configuration.)

If I remember correctly, the measurement from ground to center of bars was 93 cm with my 59cm CT2 with Fsa Orbit X headset and slammed -8° 120mm stem.
FSA Orbit X has the same stack height as Chris King.

haydos

by haydos

To me a C40 is where it is at for someone who wants to have a collector... I have a C40 Mapei A Stay and a C59 in INGR. I've also owned a EPS in PRZA.

Although a C50 in PR00 is pretty sweet too!

Level top tube is the only way to go for your size mate.
Current Quiver:
Cervelo Aspero, Dura Ace 12
Time RXR, Record 10sp
Colnago C40 Mapei

In the past:
C59 x 2, EPS, Dogma2, Dogma, Caad 12, SuperSix HM, BMC RM01, Focus Izalco, Scott Foil, Cervelo R3SL, BMC SLC01, S-Works Tarmac, TCR

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

@eurperg fantastic info, exactly what I need! Thanks.

@hydos the PR00 scheme is quickly becoming my favorite.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

go for the latest colnagos. they are stiffer and perform better. I've owned 3 colnagos: president and 2 extreme powers. all were great rides but the modern colnagos are even better performance wise.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

I had a custom geometry Extreme Power built in 2007/8 it is still the most disappointing high end bike I ever owned.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com