2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL and Advanced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

peted76

by peted76

Hi all,
RE: 2016 Giant TCR framesets.
quote: 'They say that the frame weighs 856g and the frameset (frame, fork, headset, seatpost and seatpost clamp) weighs in at 1,376g for a medium.'

I saw both frames on Saturday in my LBS, Advanced SL looks lovely with the ISP, of note the new 30mm carbon wheels look rock solid.

I'm looking at comparisons:

Advanced SL reported frameweight of 856g
Advanced SL has ISP

Advanced frame weight?
Non ISP only frame.

Same fork?
Same layup?

jeffy

by jeffy

I assume you mean Advanced Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

peted76 wrote:Hi all,
RE: 2016 Giant TCR framesets.
quote: 'They say that the frame weighs 856g and the frameset (frame, fork, headset, seatpost and seatpost clamp) weighs in at 1,376g for a medium.'

I saw both frames on Saturday in my LBS, Advanced SL looks lovely with the ISP, of note the new 30mm carbon wheels look rock solid.

I'm looking at comparisons:

Advanced SL reported frameweight of 856g
Advanced SL has ISP

Advanced frame weight?
Non ISP only frame.

Same fork?
Same layup?

The Adv SL is the only frame with the higher end carbon and is only available with ISP. I've asked and asked and asked my local rep to get Giant to provide an Adv SL non ISP but to no avail yet.

peted76

by peted76

That's what I suspected :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoney

by stoney

I don't think you'd be disappointed in the 2016 TCR Advanced Pro frameset. It's a beauty and has slender tube shapes when compared to the 2015 and older models.

sadgroove

by sadgroove

I think decals is far better than 2015 version.

jeffy

by jeffy

the money you save on the non isp Adv Pro frameset would be better spent elsewhere in my opinion - power meter, better wheels or other components rather than a couple of hundred grams and a (perhaps) annoying ISP. Especially consider it is ~$1000 saved.

joepac

by joepac

The SL is listed as Advanced SL grade composite, whereas both the lower level TCRs are listed as advanced composite. The major difference between the two lower models appears to be an all carbon fork/steering tube vs. a heavier carbon fork with aluminum steering tube on the base model.

shotgun

by shotgun

This is from a medium

2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

xadubo33

by xadubo33

TCR Advancer pro, size xs, weight of the frame 860grs fork 295 not cut.
The bike has a group DA di2 wheels Vision M40
TCR.jpg

TCR1.jpg

mimason

by mimason

Shotgun, nice looking frame. It will drop more weight without the shipping skewer in the rear dropout and once ISP is cut to length. That collar/ISP combo will save a lot of weigh over a traditional seatpost setup.

Xadubo, under 6.5 and not even the SL version w/ISP! This bike can be made very light.

5DII

by 5DII

Considering Evo hi mod vs TCR Advanced SL, strictly from a weight perspective. Are the frameset weights similar when you take into consideration the TCR weight includes the ISP? (not sure how it compares to the stock seatpost that comes with 2016 Evo hi mods)

sharkman

by sharkman

Weight wise there wouldn't be too much between the although evo hi mod probably would be a bit lighter due too the heavy stubby of the giant (don't know the weight of the evo hi mod fork but seen forks of the non hi mod evo doing over 450 gramm).

Ridden both and imho unless you're a flyweight the new Giant tcr isp is the better bike if you like a bike with a stiff bottom bracket. Furthermore the Giant has a way better finish/paintjob.

defride

by defride

sharkman wrote:Weight wise there wouldn't be too much between the although evo hi mod probably would be a bit lighter due too the heavy stubby of the giant (don't know the weight of the evo hi mod fork but seen forks of the non hi mod evo doing over 450 gramm).

My Evo Hi Mod fork cut for 56cm with 5mm spacers above and below is 312g iirc 330g uncut. 2016 fork is said to be 30-40g lighter

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tacostand

by tacostand

[quote="sharkman"Ridden both and imho unless you're a flyweight the new Giant tcr isp is the better bike if you like a bike with a stiff bottom bracket. Furthermore the Giant has a way better finish/paintjob.[/quote]

You found the supersix evo too flexy at the bottom bracket? I've never ridden the TCR ISP but thought the evo felt plenty stiff on a quick test ride. Haven't been able to take it for a longer ride.