11speed ergopower shift lever o-ring??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

I've been struggling with some ergopower shift levers (2012 11 speed Chorus) that will require a separate topic. Anyway, while searching for help I found his bike radar guide which mentions an o-ring that is easily lost (step 4):

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/articl ... ers-24781/

My levers seem to not have o-rings.

What I'm curious about why, when searching, I find no other mention of this. It doesn't show up in parts diagrams. Is it called something else officially?

In their picture it looks more like a metal washer. What's the function? Are there replacements?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

The washers are to protect the carbon body from wear by the cable ends (no ferrules). If they are not present a cable could bite into the body and cause damage & inconsistent gear changes.

Firstly, are you sure they are not there? Grease, grime etc. They are brass (gold coloured). Secondly, check the levers alternative cable routing holes where there should be two spares!

If none are present, they should be available from your local Campagnolo Service Centre.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

this.

They are not "O rings", they are very small, thin washers, placed down the bottom of a hole where they are not easy to see. When inserting the cable they can sometimes be pushed out. They are probably still there. I cannot believe the lack would cause an immediate problem in any case.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

AJS914, any update?

AJS914

by AJS914

I re-examined my set of Record levers and yes, all four are still there. I haven't checked my Chorus levers yet because they are installed on the Colnago.

I've had inconsistent rear shifting on both my Parlee and Colnago. The Colnago is not so bad now that I routed the derailleur cable to the right hole and around the side of the handlebar. Coincidentally, both had the same handlebars. Using the inside hole with the sharper bend, I could not get reliable shifting.

My first thought was that I lost the washers because I couldn't see them. I think the issue may be kinks in the derailleur cable made when threading the cable through ergo lever. You know, it's impossible to thread the cables through the lever without bending them. (Somehow, Campy can do it at the factory because when you buy new levers as they come with cables installed.) I see from reading a couple online guides that you can put the little bend in the cable at the end where you will cut it off so that the cable will go through the lever and cable straight.

So, I ordered a whole new cable set for the Colnago to see if that sorts it out perfectly.