Creaking Praxis BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

treetrees

by treetrees

Highdraw thanks for your help , I haven't got a link but it's a wheels manurfacturing bb30 to outboard shimano conversion . It's similar to praxis but does not expand it just tightens against the face of the bb so you need 2 hollowtech wrenches to do them up .

treetrees

by treetrees

Forgot to mention that the bearings have angular contact bearings don't think that matters to much but thought I'd mention it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

These are the ones:
http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb ... ckets.html

The one I have has the angular contact bearings. It's an ok design, but I think the Praxis model is more robust.

@Rick... thanks!!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

treetrees

by treetrees

That's the one boysa .

Rick

by Rick

Just so you know: The Wheels Mfg Installation Instruction starts of with this dire warning:
DO NOT use any brand bearing retaining compounds or epoxies during installation, use of which will void any warranty.

So if you haven't tried just heavy grease I would still try that first and see if it works for you.

If you have tried it, and are confident you gave it a fair shot with full torque, then I believe you and Loctite would be the next logical step.

I keep some heavy marine grease around for things that I just want a grease "barrier" and do not really need "lubrication". For example, I use Phil Wood grease as a lubricating grease on BB bearings, but then smear some marine grease on top of the seals for a barrier. I would try the marine grease on the outside of the BB bore OD if you haven't already tried grease.

Let us know what happens! Good luck!

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

The warranty is essentially just a mirage. How much is it really worth? It's not a car or even a home appliance. It's a BB. Just use the Loctite and be done with it.
Robert

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

AFAIK grease has never solved really problem pressed BB creaking long term. Only Loctite.
Last edited by rpenmanparker on Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Pretty sure my FSA PF30 bottom bracket is nylon, not acetal. Seems to have worked well with 609 and primer/activator. I know the stuff that leaked out onto the BB shell hardened up nicely. BTW isopropyl alcohol removed the mess quickly and safely even after it hardened.
Robert

Squint

by Squint

I'm not even going to bother with anti-seize or grease. I'm going straight to Loctite.

boysa

by boysa

That would be my recommendation.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

highdraw

by highdraw

A tough call on this guys because grease as Rick proposed as a first effort for this type of BB can work for likely many.
I like the Wheel Mfg design and in fact prefer it in some ways to Praxis. To me, the Praxis design of expanding circumferentially on only one side and having a rubber O-ring laterally to absorb axial compression and in particular to a lock out which is more tolerance sensitive...just isn't as robust as a more solid lateral torqueing of sleeve halves together as with the Wheel Mfg design. The other factor is serviceability. As with Wheel Mfg's other PF30 solution, bearings can be removed and the BB reused and this voids the warranty with Praxis. But as mentioned as well, warranties sometimes are best to be abandoned for cost effectiveness as afterall when the bearings go on a Praxis sleeve, Praxis would prefer their customers to replace the entire BB and not Loctite new bearings for $13 and a bottle of Loctite.

But since Loctite 609 with its low shear strength is pretty easy to get apart...unthreading the Wheel Mfg BB above will dislodge one side...a reverse press out based upon loosening the thread...and the other side can be easily knocked out...getting it apart with Loctite will not be an issue.

So for less fuss, Loctite is probably the best practice for those that don't want to even deal with potential creaking.

For Shimano crank owners, the Wheel Mfg solution is a pretty good for the for the money for those that don't want to use BB30 bearings Loctited to a BB30 bike with adapters.
Last edited by highdraw on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

treetrees

by treetrees

Highdraw you have just answered my next question on whether I would be able to remove the the bb after its been loctited in .

highdraw

by highdraw

treetrees wrote:Highdraw you have just answered my next question on whether I would be able to remove the the bb after its been loctited in .

Figured that maybe the elephant in the room and may scare off some considering it and why I mentioned it. You see, when you unthread the two halves tt, one side has to give...even if one side stays Loctited firm because lateral force created by unthreading will exceed the shear strength bond of the Loctite which is deliberately formulated for serviceability aka low adhesion in shear. Once one side gets pushed out by unthreading...take a wood dowel and hammer and tap out the other side thru the BB shell just like you would tap out BB30 bearings. Easy peasey brother.

highdraw

by highdraw

rpenmanparker wrote:The warranty is essentially just a mirage. How much is it really worth? It's not a car or even a home appliance. It's a BB. Just use the Loctite and be done with it.

Agree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

treetrees

by treetrees

Cheers mate . Just hope I don't start damaging my da chainset with all this tightening and undoing of pinch bolts other wise that will be the next thing .