Edco Monoblock Cassette & Campagnolo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Just saw this http://edco.ch/products/accessoires/monoblock.html

The 11-32 for Campagnolo interests me for big days in the mountains.

Has anyone successfully tried a 32 with Campagnolo? If so what hanger measurement do you have and what chainrings were you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I have seen several threads where people were using shimano 32t cog successfully with an otherwise Campy drivetrain. No personal experience, except I know the "old" RD's handle a 30t cog just fine, and the newer RD's were supposed to have a little more clearance.
Last edited by bikerjulio on Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

One.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Glad you posted this! I have been thinking about an 11-32 cassette on my campy drivetrain. I hadn't seen these Edco 11-32 in the campy version. I've heard good things about the edco cassettes!

But yeah, there are multiple threads on the boards with testimonials saying the 11-32 combo works well with the campy short cages.

I'm also thinking of getting an Athena-11 triple rear derailleur (longer cage) and trying a 11-36 shimano cassette.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:Glad you posted this! I have been thinking about an 11-32 cassette on my campy drivetrain. I hadn't seen these Edco 11-32 in the campy version. I've heard good things about the edco cassettes!

But yeah, there are multiple threads on the boards with testimonials saying the 11-32 combo works well with the campy short cages.

I'm also thinking of getting an Athena-11 triple rear derailleur (longer cage) and trying a 11-36 shimano cassette.

I think the 36t will be a little too much. The Athena triple mech is only a longer cage not a different geometry mech. So it will be no different to the rest of the range in terms of maximum sprocket size.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:

There is not a black or white answer to this question as Ulti alluded to in his OP.

Firstly, the long cage does not buy you any additional upper sprocket clearance, just adds chain wrap capacity.

But hanger dimensions are a variable between bikes, and you will see that Campy for instance specs a 4 mm variation as OK. So depending on your bike's hanger dimension, a 36t sprocket might just work if the hanger is at the long end of spec.

One.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I would stay with a campy cassette or a shimano cassette. the alloy ones don't last that long and performance noticeably fades after a few hundred miles.

Marin

by Marin

The edcos are machined from a solid block of steel, like the RED cassettes.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

To follow up on this, simply as reinforcement to what is already known, I mounted up a mate's wheel with a shimano 11-32 cassette on my 2015 Super Record grouppo and it couldn't run more smoothly. The big-big combo is too much, though, that would need to be avoided. With my setup, its not tight enough to rip the derailleur off I don't think, but not good either way and no reason to be in that ratio regardless!

bikerjulio wrote:There is not a black or white answer to this question as Ulti alluded to in his OP.

Firstly, the long cage does not buy you any additional upper sprocket clearance, just adds chain wrap capacity.

But hanger dimensions are a variable between bikes, and you will see that Campy for instance specs a 4 mm variation as OK. So depending on your bike's hanger dimension, a 36t sprocket might just work if the hanger is at the long end of spec.

ultimobici wrote:I think the 36t will be a little too much. The Athena triple mech is only a longer cage not a different geometry mech. So it will be no different to the rest of the range in terms of maximum sprocket size.

I appreciate the input, genuinely! Was kind of wondering if it was a stretch, but was going to find a friend with a spare 36 cassette and give it a whirl.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:I appreciate the input, genuinely! Was kind of wondering if it was a stretch, but was going to find a friend with a spare 36 cassette and give it a whirl.

Give it a go on the stand and be careful in the big - bigger combinations.

You will need to back out the "H" screw on the RD for max clearance if you haven't already done so. Check instructions if not sure.

The total chainwrap capacity of a Campy short cage RD is in the 32-33T range. If your drivetrain exceeds that then it's safer to size the chain for the big-big combo and sacrifice a few small gears while on the small chainring. At least no damage can accidentally be done.

And as an aside, i realized a while ago that when Campy spec. max sprocket for the RD, they don't state the theoretical max, they state the biggest one they currently make as being the max.

One.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Interlock Racing Design also do 'oversize' Campag cassettes.

I rode the Mortirolo last week with a Campag triple - 26/36/46 front and 12-30 10 speed cassette.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

That's a setup that Campagnolo made in triple form until recently.

How was it on the Mortirolo? Didn't have time (or legs!) to do it this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I'm a moderately fit 47 year old ... was never going to do the Mortirolo on a double with a 34 inner no matter what the cassette on the back.

There are a number of 'tripleizer' chainrings out there in BCD110 format, but none work as good as the IRD ones. I dislike the regular 130/135BCD triples.

As I am sure you know, there is a difference in slogging up a steep hill/mountain and riding up it with good cadence.