Bontrager R4 tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

russianbear

by russianbear

Has anyone used these? The little info I can find says they are Vittorias but with Bontrager's puncture belt. Ride reports, reviews?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Great question! I looked to buy these overhere, when i called and checked with our Trek head office i almost floor dropped.

125 euro for one tire!!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Never used them, but here in the UK they retail at £69.99. (code 438222)

Interesting about the Vittoria comment, as Bontrager now make something that looks very close to a Vittoria open tubular, called the R4 320 (code 428233)

Might do some more digging next time I'm on the phone to the guys at Trek

russianbear

by russianbear

I ordered a pair for my new wheels. I'll post a report once I have some miles on them.

nickf

by nickf

I have been running them for almost a year now. Close to 4000 miles on them. These are my first and only tubular tires i have even ran. Mounted to Bontrager aeolus 5 tub wheels. My first rear tire was slashed open on a glass bottle that i didn't see, i was to busy talking. Clincher would have been screwed to. Other then that they wear well and have not had a puncture. My current rear tires has a couple thousand miles and is a little square. But no cords yet so until then ill replace it. Front still looks good. They do ride well. I use these wheels and tires full time. My other setup was veloflex corsa with latex tubes. R4 tubs so far seem to be more durable compared to the veloflex. R4s have latex tubes, and removable cores. Not sure who makes them but they have a latex coating on the base tape. Also bontrager printed on the base tape along with a date stamp. Unless someone recognizes the date stamp style against another brand to figure out who makes them. Word on the street is its made by Vittoria.