Tan walled clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

SLCBrandon wrote:I can't recommend the Turbo Cottons enough. Shocked by their durability since Spec lists them as a race day tire and acknowledge they aren't intended to be known for their lifespan. I've flatted 1 total time on them in well over 3k miles and 3 sets and a 4th rear.

I flatted 6-7 times in that same span on last years SW Turbo's. The ride is much better on the cottons in comparison as well. One of the best pieces of cycling equipment I've used in awhile.

i also have the black SW turbo pro and turbo cotton. The turbo cottons are a level above for sure! they are unreal tires even compared to gp4000IIs over the past 3 years of racing and training. I will be looking to buy more turbo cottons soon!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

I'm pretty sure I know (no) the answer, but are there any Tan Walled Tubeless tires out there?

djm

by djm

Most tan walled tires are not fully vulcanized, thus the tire walls are not as air tight as they need be to work in a tubeless setup. That is unless you load them up with a lot of latex juice.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Has anyone tried the Fairweather "For Traveler" yet?
http://fairweather.cc/tire

Most Fairweather stuff is just slightly modded / rebranded items, so it's probably closely based on an existing well known model. I'm running Vittoria tubulars and haven't had the best luck with Challenge in the past, so I'd be open for something new.

Goldsprint

by Goldsprint

Does anyone have a clue how to clean the tan wall of the turbo cottons? Soap doesn't work... After riding in the rain they look pretty dirty.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Goldsprint wrote:Does anyone have a clue how to clean the tan wall of the turbo cottons? Soap doesn't work... After riding in the rain they look pretty dirty.

Maybe this helps. Have not tried it myself though, as my Challenge tyres seem to be treated somehow. viewtopic.php?t=47116

petromyzon

by petromyzon

AFAIK the first "open tubular" i.e. not fully vulcanised tubeless compatible clincher is the new Vittoria Corsa Speed. It feels very fragile in the shop, not had the chance to try it yet, allegedly the fastest clincher ever tested by Wheel Energy. It comes in both tan and anthracite.

Big fan of Turbo Cottons as well. I guess we will all have our own perspectives on durability and speed, likely hampered by quantity of riding/limited n-number. However, I find them less durable than Conti Black Chili tyres, but with greater grip. I think they've used the same tech guys but just put the tradeoff in a slightly different place.

At least up until Vittoria's Graphene I think the companies making Open tubulars have used quite traditional tread compounds, probably explaining Conti's advantage in the lab. Specialized seem to have combined the best of both worlds and to me the Turbo Cotton is worth the excess cost (no-one discounts Specialized stuff where I live).

ichobi

by ichobi

From my 6 months testing i find the new vittoria corsa g+ more durable in terms of tread-wear. Both gives you the incredibly fast rolling feel when new. I find vittoria a bit more supple but may be because its a 25c vs cotton's 24c. The tire profile of turbo cotton when mounted is a bit smaller (less bublous) too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

HillRPete wrote:Most Fairweather stuff is just slightly modded / rebranded items, so it's probably closely based on an existing well known model.

Maybe Panaracer? Especially since that is what the caption near the top of the webpage states: 'TIRE by PANARACER' 8)
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Well yeah, but Panaracer makes a few different models of tires :mrgreen: