Merida Reacto; owners reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

micky

by micky

Just wondering if there's any owner here in WW who wanna share their opinion about this frame as I've got offered a good deal on one.
What's giving me some doubts is the rear brake placing.
Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Perhaps some owners are not frequenting the forums enough to have seen your thread?

Maybe try getting in touch with a few of the reacto owneers, per the gallery, via pm?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125546
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=133406
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=128065
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

planetrobbi

by planetrobbi

Hi there, I have proudly owned a Reacto 7000 since April 2015. Bought it after owning a 7kg chinese disc brake roadie with SRAM for 2 years and wanted a production fast road bike and it is fast, not a relaxed sportive frame, rather nearly a TT frame.

Bought the Reacto after seeing it and test riding in LBS and then reading a few reviews on it.

The direct mount brakes are very powerful with great modulation especially in the wet.

Not sure about the concerns for the rear brake ? Both direct mount brakes are very powerful compared to a standard caliper style, and the rear brake under the (massive) BB occasionally might get a stone or grit in it , maybe twice in six months of riding, adjusting the rear brake is super easy, just flip the bike onto its seat and handlebars on a towel to protect them, then the brake is fully in view

I am not sure why some people think an under the BB brake is an issue, it seems that once someone says something bad about them then people suspect issues. I rate it highly, super powerful.

Look up tour magazine wind tunnel test for a recent review of many frames. Reacto is up there with Cervelo S5 which is saying something.

Look up youtube, REACTO for some great footage on it. Tour de france 2015 stage 16 on youtube,
last 20km were epic Ruben Plaza wins on Reacto

For approx $2000 USD I picked up the Reacto 7000, full Ultegra group with Ultegra direct mount brakes , ROTOR cranks and Fulcrum 35mm rims.

Value for money is excellent, and the ride does not disappoint. I am an average cyclist, and the bike comfortably maintains 32-40kmh speeds in normal riding , out of the saddle sprinting is great with instant response due to the solid rear triangle. Honestly have set some great PBs on strava , the new bike syndrome definitely helped.

Merida Youtube channel lists the Reacto as essentially the rear design of the TT warp bike and a more relaxed front end. My one runs 25mm tires at 90psi most days and it is super comfortable on longer rides. Next upgrade for mine will be some aero extension bars and possible 56mm carbons and then ROTOR powermeter or Power2max.

No regrets, love it, it is a fast bike and holds speeds well. Not the lightest bike though. If I had to buy it again I honestly would. And of course Ultegra 11 speed is as smooth as butter after 3 years on SRAM enjoyed the change.

Merida have got their tech and design right up there, the REACTO will last me for many years I have no doubt.

gravity

by gravity

Great write up. Thanks!

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

i have a 2014 Merida Reacto 905 (which is now the Reacto 5000) I used it since September 2014. I believe it was the year which the frame is the same as the "pro frame"
http://road.cc/content/news/111255-firs ... o-evo-team

From year 2015, from what I understand, the frame models are differentiated using different carbon layup and type of carbon, the lower end models uses a cheaper carbon layup while the higher end uses a more expensive carbon,

to give a comparsion, the reacto 905 MRSP in my country is around 4.1K SGD while the Reacto 5000 MRSP is at 2.8k SGD

MRSP was approx 3300 USD (equivalent at that time) but I got it for much lesser, it was a full ultegra groupset (minus the crank which was a FSA energy 24mm),brakes are 105 direct mount and Fulcurm Racing Quattro

The placement of the rear brake is at the bottom next to the bottom bracket, it has not given any problems so far, dirt doesnt affect performance of the brakes and the quick release of the brakes is located at the top on the handlebar

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Hi, i briefly worked for a pro-tour team and had lots of chances to ride the Reacto Evo team issue.
I rode the S5 and (old) Venge also and can report that there is no discernible difference between these bikes, as they are all excellent and too good for us punters :-) The Reacto Evo acted like on rails and was compliant enough for an aero frame.
Don't forget that Merida owns half of Specialized and they make good bikes.
Their only issue is branding and bad graphics.
İ say go for it, it's a good bike!

kgt

by kgt

tmr5555 wrote:Don't forget that Merida owns half of Specialized and they make good bikes.
Their only issue is branding and bad graphics.
İ say go for it, it's a good bike!

+1

maw262

by maw262

Plaintrobbi, where did you find the Reacto 7000 for around $2000 USD? I am looking for one from a reputable online dealer. I appreciate any suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

planetrobbi

by planetrobbi

Re the pricing, I am in QLD Australia. We have a local bike shop called 99 Bikes, I paid approx 2400AUD which at the time with the low exchange rate was around 2000USD, now its closer to 1800USD :( . Completely happy though with the specs I got though. Fantastic frame with direct mount brakes (apparantly direct mount calipers have less flex so more force is transmitted for less lever effort) and Rotor chainset with massive BB which I will add Powermeter to at next tax return haha. Happy with mechanical ultegra 11spd, love the feel of it , very precise shifting esp front shifting. It is about the bike this time, the Reacto rocks hahaha. Only thing I might do is change the handlebar to an aero carbon bar with internal cable routing like the new S5 bar or 3T aeronova bar.

mentok

by mentok

I like the frame shape but the colourways are a little uninspiring - the standard colours are a little plain, but the lampre colours are a bit over the top. Reviews sound very good to me though - it's on the short list with the propel for relatively cheap off-the-shelf aero.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Does anyone have verified frame / fork weights (of any size) for the Reacto EVO ?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Jorisvc

by Jorisvc

planetrobbi wrote:Hi there, I have proudly owned a Reacto 7000 since April 2015. Bought it after owning a 7kg chinese disc brake roadie with SRAM for 2 years and wanted a production fast road bike and it is fast, not a relaxed sportive frame, rather nearly a TT frame.

Bought the Reacto after seeing it and test riding in LBS and then reading a few reviews on it.

The direct mount brakes are very powerful with great modulation especially in the wet.

Not sure about the concerns for the rear brake ? Both direct mount brakes are very powerful compared to a standard caliper style, and the rear brake under the (massive) BB occasionally might get a stone or grit in it , maybe twice in six months of riding, adjusting the rear brake is super easy, just flip the bike onto its seat and handlebars on a towel to protect them, then the brake is fully in view

I am not sure why some people think an under the BB brake is an issue, it seems that once someone says something bad about them then people suspect issues. I rate it highly, super powerful.

Look up tour magazine wind tunnel test for a recent review of many frames. Reacto is up there with Cervelo S5 which is saying something.

Look up youtube, REACTO for some great footage on it. Tour de france 2015 stage 16 on youtube,
last 20km were epic Ruben Plaza wins on Reacto

For approx $2000 USD I picked up the Reacto 7000, full Ultegra group with Ultegra direct mount brakes , ROTOR cranks and Fulcrum 35mm rims.

Value for money is excellent, and the ride does not disappoint. I am an average cyclist, and the bike comfortably maintains 32-40kmh speeds in normal riding , out of the saddle sprinting is great with instant response due to the solid rear triangle. Honestly have set some great PBs on strava , the new bike syndrome definitely helped.

Merida Youtube channel lists the Reacto as essentially the rear design of the TT warp bike and a more relaxed front end. My one runs 25mm tires at 90psi most days and it is super comfortable on longer rides. Next upgrade for mine will be some aero extension bars and possible 56mm carbons and then ROTOR powermeter or Power2max.

No regrets, love it, it is a fast bike and holds speeds well. Not the lightest bike though. If I had to buy it again I honestly would. And of course Ultegra 11 speed is as smooth as butter after 3 years on SRAM enjoyed the change.

Merida have got their tech and design right up there, the REACTO will last me for many years I have no doubt.

Hi,

not much to find about the reacto :-)

i have one and when i am sprinting on the pedals the brake pad at the driveside always touches the rims. Do you guys also face that problem?

thx

Philthy

by Philthy

Have had a Reacto 4000 since 2014/15. It's a great little aero bike, but does have problems, as do most bikes if owners are honest.

1. Direct mount brakes are a pain in the backside. I run SRAM Force on my bikes and as SRAM don't make direct mount brakes, I've had to use Shimano 105 ones. It works, but not as good as SRAM with SRAM brakes. The original Tektra direct mount brakes are woeful.

2. The rear brake does cause problems. I run 25mm tyres and with the 105 brakes, its tight getting the rear wheel out. Getting the rear brake set up is a nightmare with the way the cable runs, having to tail it back towards the down tube otherwise you get the annoying click when the non-drive side crank arm passes it. Getting the right tension isn't a quick process even with Shimano's in line brake release. I would never put a bike upside down to work on it. :shock:

3. BB386 EVO being press fit, means more expense on tools and short life bottom brackets before the creaking starts. I run a Rotor BBright 4624 BB using Rotor 3D24 cranks with a P2M power meter. The bike works great with the combination, but PF is PF. Give me good old English threaded BBs any day.

4. The internal cabling is set up for standardised brakes. i.e. Front right and rear left. I run the front brake on the left and rear on the right. The way the internal cabling is routed means some big or tight loops at the headstock are required. Not helped with the 3T Aeronova carbon bars I use and their internal cabling.

Sounds like the bike is rubbish, but it isn't. I'm overly critical of the brakes having spent an entire ride with the rear brake binding as you can't hear it being under the BB. I just thought I was having a particularly bad day. The cable routing I can live with and the front brake I have set with instant bite. The rear I have set with minimal response to avoid problems and rarely use it. I love the graphics of mine in Lampre Merida colours, but taste is a subjective thing. It was that or the Rui Costa WC colours and I wasn't having that.

dastott

by dastott

Looking at a 2017 Reacto 4000 as an affordable aero bike but the sizing seems quite different to my SS Evo. In fact, a 56cm SS Evo has similar stack, reach, top tube and head tube lengths to a 54cm Reacto. Wondering if any other owners sized down when making their Reacto purchase?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com